Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Heated socks

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Lakeside, PowTown
    Posts
    17

    Heated socks

    Mags,
    I'm looking to buy the missus some heated socks as a gift. Anyone have a recommendation for them that will fit relatively comfortably in a ski boot? Are they all super thick or can you still get a good performance fit?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Truckee & Sonoma
    Posts
    12,138
    I started using Lenz heated ski socks last season and they're awesome. They're expensive but worth it. A little thicker than my normal ultra thin ski socks but not too bad.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    西 雅 圖
    Posts
    3,802
    x2 on the Lenz socks. I thought I'd only use them on "cold" days but started wearing them pretty much all the time. Like the design of the 5.0 Toecap model, with the heating element that starts over the top of the toes and wraps around, it's an improvement on the heat only under the ball of the foot design. Looking for a 2nd pair of socks for next season. Like TahoeJ says, they're a bit thicker than an ultra thin Darn Tough or Smartwool, so if she's got a super snug race fit it might not be the right call, but otherwise they rock. Washing isn't a big deal (delicate in a lingerie bag and air dry) and the phone app to control temperature and balance is awesome.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Truckee & Sonoma
    Posts
    12,138
    Yes, exactly - the heat on top of your toes / foot is great, that's where I was having issues. Had hotronics at one point and having heat only from the bottom wasn't working for me. I do want to get another set of batteries for those super cold days, because they can run out after just a few hours.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    2,623
    2x Lenz.

  6. #6
    +1 another

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    85
    Last season I bought Lenz 5.0. Normally, I ski Lorpen Ultralight socks and don't have a lot of volume in my boots. Although Lenz worked nice, I could feel the wiring in front and could not wiggle my toes, because of the added volume. The socks went to my wife who spent last season working as a ski instructor and used them almost constantly. Two seasons later, she is extremely happy with them.
    This season I bought Therm-ic insole heaters installed on Sidas Custom Race insoles. They provide I tiny bit less heat than Lenz socks, but the boot feel with or without them is the same.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    3,129
    Quote Originally Posted by aanev View Post
    Last season I bought Lenz 5.0. Normally, I ski Lorpen Ultralight socks and don't have a lot of volume in my boots. Although Lenz worked nice, I could feel the wiring in front and could not wiggle my toes, because of the added volume. The socks went to my wife who spent last season working as a ski instructor and used them almost constantly. Two seasons later, she is extremely happy with them.
    This season I bought Therm-ic insole heaters installed on Sidas Custom Race insoles. They provide I tiny bit less heat than Lenz socks, but the boot feel with or without them is the same.
    I'm looking for ultralight ski socks as i need room in my bc boots.

    Are the Lorpen as thin as liner socks?

    Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I'm looking for ultralight ski socks as i need room in my bc boots.

    Are the Lorpen as thin as liner socks?

    Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    Lorpen T2 PRECISION FIT ULTRALIGHT socks are the thinnest I have found. Comparable with Intuition Fitting Socks (which are probably a tiny bit thinner). Probably 60% of the thickness of Point6 Ultra Light OTC socks.

    I ordered recently T3+ SKI POLARTEC POWER DRY ULTRALIGHT socks but they are yet to be delivered. Once I have them I'll add a comparison here

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    173
    For me sizing down on the 5.0 worked good, stretched them a bit so they thinned out a little. Still canít where them in my AT boots the issue is on the back of my heel, but work fine in my Alpine boots.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    17
    I bought Lenz for my wife, who suffers from Renaud's...great investment in our winter outdoor recreational activities, from skiing to sitting around the campfire.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    24,154
    There's another long thread in here somewhere.

    I'm interested in something, but can't stomach the price. Also, as a tele skier, I always wonder how these options (socks or insoles) will do with repeated bending.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    85
    Actually, the insole heating elements cost less than $20. The batteries, however,...

    Lenz socks are sold separately too and would cost normally twice the price of a pair of normal socks from a good brand.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    591
    @Gri_C_Rentsch [and others]

    I just put up the following thread on some boot heaters in considering offering.

    It's something I've been playing with the last year. The multiple versions I've put together for myself and friends have been really impressive - so I'm considering building some for a little wider audience.

    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...30#post6001630

    You might look and see if that is something you'd be interested in.

    -Greg

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane/Schweitzer
    Posts
    5,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    There's another long thread in here somewhere.

    I'm interested in something, but can't stomach the price. Also, as a tele skier, I always wonder how these options (socks or insoles) will do with repeated bending.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by aanev View Post
    I ordered recently T3+ SKI POLARTEC POWER DRY ULTRALIGHT socks but they are yet to be delivered. Once I have them I'll add a comparison here
    Well... There is nothing light in "T3+ SKI POLARTEC POWER DRY ULTRALIGHT". They have thin areas (e.g. instep) but mostly are thick AF. I would not recommend them.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    flatland
    Posts
    3,092
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...zjZFCC6uamXiRI

    New Player in heated socks

    Look thin... maybe

    Sent from my SM-T867V using Tapatalk
    "knowledgeable in escapades of the flesh"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •