Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Heated socks

Heated socks

Mags,
    I'm looking to buy the missus some heated socks as a gift. Anyone have a recommendation for them that will fit relatively comfortably in a ski boot? Are they all super thick or can you still get a good performance fit?

I started using Lenz heated ski socks last season and they're awesome. They're expensive but worth it. A little thicker than my normal ultra thin ski socks but not too bad.

x2 on the Lenz socks. I thought I'd only use them on "cold" days but started wearing them pretty much all the time. Like the design of the 5.0 Toecap model, with the heating element that starts over the top of the toes and wraps around, it's an improvement on the heat only under the ball of the foot design. Looking for a 2nd pair of socks for next season. Like TahoeJ says, they're a bit thicker than an ultra thin Darn Tough or Smartwool, so if she's got a super snug race fit it might not be the right call, but otherwise they rock. Washing isn't a big deal (delicate in a lingerie bag and air dry) and the phone app to control temperature and balance is awesome.

Yes, exactly - the heat on top of your toes / foot is great, that's where I was having issues. Had hotronics at one point and having heat only from the bottom wasn't working for me. I do want to get another set of batteries for those super cold days, because they can run out after just a few hours.

2x Lenz.

+1 another

Last season I bought Lenz 5.0. Normally, I ski Lorpen Ultralight socks and don't have a lot of volume in my boots. Although Lenz worked nice, I could feel the wiring in front and could not wiggle my toes, because of the added volume. The socks went to my wife who spent last season working as a ski instructor and used them almost constantly. Two seasons later, she is extremely happy with them.
    This season I bought Therm-ic insole heaters installed on Sidas Custom Race insoles. They provide I tiny bit less heat than Lenz socks, but the boot feel with or without them is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by aanev View Post
    Last season I bought Lenz 5.0. Normally, I ski Lorpen Ultralight socks and don't have a lot of volume in my boots. Although Lenz worked nice, I could feel the wiring in front and could not wiggle my toes, because of the added volume. The socks went to my wife who spent last season working as a ski instructor and used them almost constantly. Two seasons later, she is extremely happy with them.
    This season I bought Therm-ic insole heaters installed on Sidas Custom Race insoles. They provide I tiny bit less heat than Lenz socks, but the boot feel with or without them is the same.
    I'm looking for ultralight ski socks as i need room in my bc boots.

Are the Lorpen as thin as liner socks?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I'm looking for ultralight ski socks as i need room in my bc boots.

Are the Lorpen as thin as liner socks?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    Lorpen T2 PRECISION FIT ULTRALIGHT socks are the thinnest I have found. Comparable with Intuition Fitting Socks (which are probably a tiny bit thinner). Probably 60% of the thickness of Point6 Ultra Light OTC socks.

I ordered recently T3+ SKI POLARTEC POWER DRY ULTRALIGHT socks but they are yet to be delivered. Once I have them I'll add a comparison here

For me sizing down on the 5.0 worked good, stretched them a bit so they thinned out a little. Still can’t where them in my AT boots the issue is on the back of my heel, but work fine in my Alpine boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought Lenz for my wife, who suffers from Renaud's...great investment in our winter outdoor recreational activities, from skiing to sitting around the campfire.

There's another long thread in here somewhere.

I'm interested in something, but can't stomach the price. Also, as a tele skier, I always wonder how these options (socks or insoles) will do with repeated bending.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Actually, the insole heating elements cost less than $20. The batteries, however,...

Lenz socks are sold separately too and would cost normally twice the price of a pair of normal socks from a good brand.

@Gri_C_Rentsch [and others]

I just put up the following thread on some boot heaters in considering offering.

It's something I've been playing with the last year. The multiple versions I've put together for myself and friends have been really impressive - so I'm considering building some for a little wider audience.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...30#post6001630

You might look and see if that is something you'd be interested in.

-Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    There's another long thread in here somewhere.

I'm interested in something, but can't stomach the price. Also, as a tele skier, I always wonder how these options (socks or insoles) will do with repeated bending.

Quote Originally Posted by aanev View Post
    I ordered recently T3+ SKI POLARTEC POWER DRY ULTRALIGHT socks but they are yet to be delivered. Once I have them I'll add a comparison here
    Well... There is nothing light in "T3+ SKI POLARTEC POWER DRY ULTRALIGHT". They have thin areas (e.g. instep) but mostly are thick AF. I would not recommend them.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...zjZFCC6uamXiRI

New Player in heated socks

Look thin... maybe

Sent from my SM-T867V using Tapatalk
    ​I am not in your hurry

Damn! Those Lenz are pricier than I was guessing. Seems the consensus is they are the leading option though. If it wasn't for COVID I'd probably stick with the "one more run, then we warm up at the lodge", but cold toes are making my girlfriend have to call it after a handful of runs.
    Well at least we did a lowkey Christmas, Valentine's Day is going to be expensive!

I too was skeptical based on cost... bit the bullet though on Lenz 5.0 and makes a world of difference. It feels like your peeing into your wetsuit.. not really feeling the heat per se, but rather a nice comfort. I chose these so they can go between ski boots, ice climbing, and winter boots.

I recently tried the CRRXIN Heated Socks off Amazon. Unfortunately, I found them too thick and they scrunched up my foot in the boot. (They didn't seem all that thick or heavy compared to my Darn tough socks; not sure what the issue was). But at $55.00 USD and returnable they may be worth a try.

The Warming Store dot com has a 10% coupon for a first time purchase. The Lenz 5.0 are not inexpensive.

I tried the boot glove and it made a big difference on cold days.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Lenz brought out a new heated sock model for 20/21, the 6.0, which is merino wool and being thinner than the 5.0 is great for ski boots:
    https://lenzproducts.com/products/he...no-compression
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 02-11-2021 at 04:21 AM.

The batteries on my hotronics boot heaters needed to be replaced, so I decided to try the Lenz because I liked the idea of the heating element on top of the toe as well. So far I’m really impressed, way warmer then my old boot warmers. The app that controls the heat level is pretty slick too. I like how it has an on/off interval settings that you can customize that helps extend battery life. I got the regular ones, but noticed they also have a “low volume” sock that is thinner.

Also you can buy replacement batteries that are bigger then the ones that comes with the set. If I was to to do it all over again I would buy the socks and batteries separately. The cost will be about $70 CAD more, but once you get over the sticker shock of $400 CAD on a pair of socks/batteries, what’s another $70?

I bought the lenz a few weeks ago for my girl. We went from 5 runs and frostbite to all day on the mountain with warm feet. She uses the app. Level three (on the app) seems to work well for long time periods. She went to level four and it went to the second setting on the battery and they lasted 4-5 hours but her feet were hot she said. I dunno. Best $350 I’ve ever spent.