Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    And defaced a statue of Cervantes. (No, Cervantes was not a conquistador.)
    Protesting his subjugation of Sancho Panza?

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Statues are easy. Once you've pulled a couple down you develop a skill set. Change is hard.
    Never knew you were a US Marine!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    That’s so racist. He’s laying back with hands behind his head being serviced.

A better meme would be him sowing his oats pounding her cock garage

Oh wait. That’s racist domination.

The only safe meme is him dining at the Y
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Statues suck anyway and they don’t create or retain history. I don’t think there are any statues of Hitler or Goering in Germany but that doesn’t seem to have destroyed the history.
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Precisely. Nor are there highways named after Himmler all over Germany like there are roads named for traitors all over the south.
    Because strafgesetzbuch. The Germans made the display of Nazi/Third Reich symbols illegal. That didn't stop people from hiding/hoarding it, but it was removed from the public space.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    And defaced a statue of Cervantes. (No, Cervantes was not a conquistador.)
    Don Quixote is amazingly entertaining for a novel written 400 years ago. Not exactly sure why there's a statue of him in SF, though.

We have a bar called Cervantes and I think one Quixote’s as well.
    Are they gonna be torched?

Statue of Robert E. Lee and other confederate symbols

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Because strafgesetzbuch. The Germans made the display of Nazi/Third Reich symbols illegal. That didn't stop people from hiding/hoarding it, but it was removed from the public space.
    Do you think that but for the law there’d be a bunch of Hitler statues in public spaces? I don’t think post-war Germany would have stood for Daughters of the Reich putting any statues up in common spaces. Maybe a fringe town or two tops. But the survivors of that country in 1946 seemed to know the error of their ways.

No, I absolutely don't.

Name:  pSDWtNP.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  72.9 KB
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Just sowing his oats?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Poor Teddy Roosevelt. Ripping down his statue at the Museum of Natural History just because he liked to hang with people of color. You're evicted as persona non grata. Will wonders never cease?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Poor Teddy Roosevelt. Ripping down his statue at the Museum of Natural History just because he liked to hang with people of color. You're evicted as persona non grata. Will wonders never cease?
    what's your damage? maybe they're just coming down to give his employees the decency of shirts.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I'm all for having the statues come down. I mean really, they are apt to having monuments of past war "losers" around and highly offensive to a large percentage of Americans.
    I do think the removal should be orderly and done safely at this point. I mean having them toppled on folks doesn't seem like a good idea.
    I also question once again why democrat politicians are given a pass for allowing them to remain in place for so long.
    In the bickering of assigning morality to political parties, citizens have allowed politicians to slide by on not what they do, but what we think they would do.
    If your cities are run by the democrat party, show up at the city council meetings and demand they be removed. But to have allowed them to remain under previous administrations, you are giving them a pass because they had a D after their name in the voting booth. Many of those same folks are and were people of color. Until you hold individuals accountable, this is going to continue to happen because we apply virtuous woke behavior to democrats and assumed racism to republicans, but in reality, the citizenry has not held anyone accountable.
    I can assure you that if there is a confederate statue in Raleigh, Charlotte or Atlanta it has not stood for the past 20-30 years because a group of Republicans allowed it.
    This group here is borderline fanatical and don't even live in the South, I get it, but it's the truth.

If you learn one thing from the current unrest in our country it should be that the Democrats and Republicans are pretty damn close.

You look at that statue and really see it as showing that Roosevelt “liked to hang with POC?”
    Roosevelt will be just fine, they are renaming an entire hall after him.

“The world does not need statues, relics of another age, that reflect neither the values of the person they intend to honor nor the values of equality and justice,” said Theodore Roosevelt IV, age 77, a great-grandson of the 26th president and a museum trustee. “The composition of the Equestrian Statue does not reflect Theodore Roosevelt’s legacy. It is time to move the statue and move forward.”

“The American Museum of Natural History has asked to remove the Theodore Roosevelt statue because it explicitly depicts Black and Indigenous people as subjugated and racially inferior,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said in a statement. “The City supports the Museum’s request. It is the right decision and the right time to remove this problematic statue.”

“I’m glad to see it go,” said Mabel O. Wilson, a Columbia University professor who served on the city commission to reconsider the statue and was consulted on the exhibition.

“The depiction of the Indigenous and the African trailing behind Roosevelt, who is strong and virile,” she added, “was clearly a narrative of white racial superiority and domination.”

It doesn't need to be political. When it gets to the point of tearing down non-confederate statues of icons and to some idols like Theodore Roosevelt, Christopher Columbus, and (who's next) JFK, that have been placed at some of the most important institutions in the Nation (American Museum of Natural History), we should just start burning books, paintings and buildings themselves. This is not Joe Paterno. This is history. If we don't like it, we might as well erase it. Welcome to the 21st century.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

It doesn't need to be political.

Wake up old man.

Some people would say idolatry is wrong.

OTOH, that statue depicts a few things: I can't help notice that the healthier/stronger guys are on foot while the pampered old white man rides the horse. It doesn't come off as actual superiority so much as ironic. But I'm sure that's just me. If I was a fatass coal roller maybe I'd be more envious of the guy on the high horse?

It doesn't need to be political. When it gets to the point of tearing down non-confederate statues of icons and to some idols like Theodore Roosevelt, Christopher Columbus, and (who's next) JFK, that have been placed at some of the most important institutions in the Nation (American Museum of Natural History), we should just start burning books, paintings and buildings themselves. This is not Joe Paterno. This is history. If we don't like it, we might as well erase it. Welcome to the 21st century.
    No one is erasing Roosevelt from books and I imagine you would see it differently if your grandparents were represented as caricatures.

Public space should reflect our values, it is for the public.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post

Wake up old man.
    The museum and the mayor cite the statue's composition as the main concern, rather than Roosevelt's legacy.
    Also:
    Theodore Roosevelt IV, a museum trustee and great-grandson to the former president said in a statement provided by the museum, that he also agrees the statue should be removed.

"The world does not need statues, relics of another age, that reflect neither the values of the person they intend to honor nor the values of equality and justice," he said.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Regarding confederate flags, Mississippi is the last state to feature the rebel flag within their own and they may finally get rid of it.

I wonder who the people down there complaining about erasing history are...

Yeah, that statue is.... Something
    I'm a big TR fan and that statue combined with the history of the time period is just ugh.

So, what about books and other media. Roots Django and Mandingo come to mind. It depicts slavery and the atrocities committed by bigoted white folk ing the USA. Should we erase that?
    Just playing devil's advocate

So, what about books and other media. Roots Django and Mandingo come to mind. It depicts slavery and the atrocities committed by bigoted white folk ing the USA. Should we erase that?
    Just playing devil's advocate
    white devil’s advocate?

gone with the wind is cancelled because it makes a mockery of what slavery was actually like. I don’t know the two movies you’re referring to. Django Unchained? I didn’t think it celebrated slavery. If someone changes my mind so be it. There are lots of movies and lots more to be made.