Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    I suppose someone will want to get rid of Uncle Ben's. Frankly I'd rather see Mr. Clean go. I don't need to be cleaning with a product with a picture of a neonazi skin head on the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Guessing the statue of Jedediah Smith in San Dimas is not long for this world either...
    Maybe Bill and Ted can drop it off in another era

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Those aren't syrups, they're an affront to human decency. Proper maple syrup is the way.
    I hope this is something we can all agree on.

Ban high fructose corn syrup? I'm in!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    X
    Those are well done.

From the stuff white people like files:

Dont worry about the history getting wiped. The pendulum will swing eventually...might even get that Benedict Arnold statue some day.

Fucking traitors.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Benedict Arnold is a complicated story and as usual you are a simpleton

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    Benedict Arnold is a complicated story and as usual you are a simpleton

Explain how complicated it is with treason monuments?

Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

What I learned in elementary school history was that Benedict Arnold started off loyal, then became treasonous ( rebelled) and then saw the error of ways and came back to the Crown and was loyal again. Then again in my history class the American Revolutionaries were just misguided and didn't understand that the taxes were to pay for their protection by the Crown.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    Then again in my history class the American Revolutionaries were just misguided and didn't understand that the taxes were to pay for their protection by the Crown.
    They were degenerate tea smugglers who wanted to keep the tea tax revenue for themselves (and post-revolution, did): http://revisionisthistory.com/episod...st-in-a-teacup

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    They were degenerate tea smugglers who wanted to keep the tea tax revenue for themselves (and post-revolution, did): http://revisionisthistory.com/episod...st-in-a-teacup
    We're a nation founded by slaveholders who slaughtered the previous inhabitants and we've made our founding myth about freedom. I think Rome's story of being founded by orphaned twin brothers suckled by a wolf is more honest.

That's not really true - we didn't slaughter the original inhabitants. We first enslaved them and then killed them off with smallpox and starvation. We didn't start importing slaves from Africa until we ran out of Amerindians

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Yay!

This one made me laugh:

Salon described the statue as something "fashioned by someone who's had a human described to him but has never actually seen one in real life."
    We have a bear sculpture like that here in Missoula.
    "You've seen a bear before, right?"
    "Uh...yeah, sure."
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

That's not really true - we didn't slaughter the original inhabitants. We first enslaved them and then killed them off with smallpox and starvation. We didn't start importing slaves from Africa until we ran out of Amerindians
    Wow.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Amerindians practiced slavery commonly as well.

At the time of initial British colonization, virtually the entire world had slavery.

By the time of the revolution, most of the world had slavery, except England (the island, slavery was legal throughout the British Empire) and continental Europe. (We can debate how free the Russian serfs really were).

The US was late to abolition by European standards, however, thanks to the Southern states. Though, we were average by abolition dates in the Americas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2560px-Slavery_abolition.svg.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	561.9 KB 
ID:	331967
    (dates at which slavery, indentured servitude, or serfdom abolished)
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

^^^No argument. The North Pacific Coast tribes would throw a slave into the post holes of their long houses before inserting posts and dirt. The slave was supposed to hold up the post...

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Amerindians practiced slavery commonly as well.

At the time of initial British colonization, virtually the entire world had slavery.

By the time of the revolution, most of the world had slavery, except England (the island, slavery was legal throughout the British Empire) and continental Europe. (We can debate how free the Russian serfs really were).

The US was late to abolition by European standards, however, thanks to the Southern states. Though, we were average by abolition dates in the Americas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2560px-Slavery_abolition.svg.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	561.9 KB 
ID:	331967
    (dates at which slavery, indentured servitude, or serfdom abolished)
    But no country lays claim to the ideals of freedom and liberty more than the US. It is as I said our founding myth. I live in the US. I am concerned about the lies we tell ourselves. Citizens of other countries can concern themselves with their countries' myths if they like. If we wish to be viewed as exceptional by the rest of the world, if we wish to influence other countries regarding human rights we have to deal with our own past and present.

We have a Constitution which was written in part to defend the institution of slavery, written in part by slaveholders whom we hold up as paragons of liberty and whose judgements are considered holy by 5 members of the SCOTUS. If we are to have human rights in this country we have to acknowledge that a rigid interpretation of the Constitution is as outdated as the views and actions of the men who wrote it. The arc of history does not bend towards justice by itself; we have to bend it.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    But no country lays claim to the ideals of freedom and liberty more than the US. It is as I said our founding myth. I live in the US. I am concerned about the lies we tell ourselves. Citizens of other countries can concern themselves with their countries' myths if they like. If we wish to be viewed as exceptional by the rest of the world, if we wish to influence other countries regarding human rights we have to deal with our own past and present.

We have a Constitution which was written in part to defend the institution of slavery, written in part by slaveholders whom we hold up as paragons of liberty and whose judgements are considered holy by 5 members of the SCOTUS. If we are to have human rights in this country we have to acknowledge that a rigid interpretation of the Constitution is as outdated as the views and actions of the men who wrote it. The arc of history does not bend towards justice by itself; we have to bend it.
    I'm with ya OG, evening cocktails and all.

FKNA
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

It was more written to ignore or work around slavey than defend it, it was just a dealbreaker at the time. But other than that, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    excellent

That’s too long to be an auto sig but beautifully written sentiments with which I agree. Hats off

Who gives a shit about your opinion, Mr. Jan 2020 join date JONG with the ever-changing, ever-pretentious username?

Honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by non-delegator of agency, bro View Post
    Good first paragraph, iffy second paragraph Goat. Fwiw people the world over admire the founders & don't have the myopia of having to view something's legitimacy through the lense of the period's most flawed institution(s).
    That admiration stems from the exportation of revisionist history and the fallacy of American Exceptionalism during your country's ascendance to super power status, not reality.