Page 20 of 43 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Reading comprehension? Shit. I read just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Reading comprehension? Shit. I read just fine.
    Can I hire you to teach my wife about satire?
    . . .

The quillette article makes some fair points. The argument, for example, that the anti-slavery movement in America dates to its founding is true because some states wanted to eliminate slavery even before the Constitution was in place. The Quaker abolitionist movement began even earlier. And between 1777 and 1804 eight states worked to free their slave population.

The article is wrong, however, on the economics of slavery in the South. Despite the feeling in the North, the South not only resisted emancipation, but the ratio of slavery grew not only relative to the North but also relative to the Western Hemisphere, including countries like Brazil. The colonial U.S. accounted for only 6% of the slave trade but by 1825 the United States held the largest portion of slaves in the Americas, approaching 40%.

Contrary to the arguments made in the article, large-scale slave plantations in the antebellum era had high levels of productivity even though on an individual level free labor was more productive than slave labor. This was accomplished under the gang system by demanding high work intensity from slaves. So much so that free-labor plantations were unable to compete with slaves under threat of the lash, and all but ceased to exist.

By 1850, cotton became the most valuable U.S. export. As a result a strong, healthy male slave was worth about $600,000 in today's dollars making slaves an enormous capital asset worth billions, and making parts of the South by far the highest income region in the country. Even in poorer regions when the incomes per capita of only free people are compared, the older, less wealthy southern areas show high income levels. There is little doubt that prior the Civil War, the South, especially the King Cotton west south central region, was very very rich.

Dreyer’s Ice Cream will change the name of the Eskimo pie. They haven’t announced a new name though

Cracker Barrel announces that it will start selling alcohol.

This thread seems as appropriate as any to break that news.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/cra...wine-reopening
    I still call it The Jake.

You mean Caucasian Barrel?

In other food news, Portland protestors last night threw hot dogs at the Justice Center building. Not being young and woke, I’m clueless about the symbolism. Anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post

In other food news, Portland protestors last night threw hot dogs at the Justice Center building. Not being young and woke, I’m clueless about the symbolism. Anybody?
    It's Portland, that's all that needs to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post

Eat a bowl of dicks?

Or pork products for pigs.
    . . .

-Imagine the anguish of living in a country that profited off the forced labor of your ancestors, and is still having this conversation: ‘‘Hey, do you think we should fly the flag of the people that fought to enslave your ancestors? What do you guys think of that? Good idea or bad idea?’’ And then you hear, ‘‘It’s history.’’ It’s not history! It’s hagiography. If you go down there and read the plaques on the Confederate monuments, they aren’t, ‘‘This [expletive] thought he could enslave people based on the color of their skin.’’ That’s not what the plaque says. The plaque honors them! Enraging doesn’t begin to describe it.”

-John Stewart in recent NYT interview

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Contrary to the arguments made in the article, large-scale slave plantations in the antebellum era had high levels of productivity even though on an individual level free labor was more productive than slave labor. This was accomplished under the gang system by demanding high work intensity from slaves. So much so that free-labor plantations were unable to compete with slaves under threat of the lash, and all but ceased to exist..
    Free labor had very high turnover rates (>100% by some estimates). It’s hard to run a plantation without a dependable work force (why the postbellum sharecropper servitude was economically necessary)

Slaves were a portable self replicating asset that could be mortgaged & for many plantation owners were their access to cash. Far broader market for slaves than land.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Free labor had very high turnover rates (>100% by some estimates). It’s hard to run a plantation without a dependable work force (why the postbellum sharecropper servitude was economically necessary)

Slaves were a portable self replicating asset that could be mortgaged & for many plantation owners were their access to cash. Far broader market for slaves than land.
    Free labor had to compete against "free" labor (slaves). The southern white working class (ie white trash) has never recovered from that.
    https://www.amazon.com/White-Trash-4.../dp/0143129678

Whoa. Nancy Isenburg is hot. And strangely attractive, too.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Whoa. Nancy Isenburg is hot. And strangely attractive, too.
    Looks like they used a very old picture on the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Anyone who flies that treason flag is a fuckwad. The ONLY reason for that flags existence is slavery and anyone flying it in the face of fellow Americans is treason to the USA. It represents the worst of the USA, that was lanced at the cost of hundreds of thousands of lives. Flying that flag is a outright rebellion against the constitution and the sacrifice of American blood .

Same for the statues.

When they start putting up Benedict Arnold statues next to Robert E Lee then we can call it a treason museum.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    could not have said it better.

fuck the treasonous losers.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Free labor had to compete against "free" labor (slaves). The southern white working class (ie white trash) has never recovered from that.
    https://www.amazon.com/White-Trash-4.../dp/0143129678
    “Masterless men” by Merritt is a worthwhile book
    quote from book
    “Slave labor eliminated job possibilities, depressed wages where jobs existed, and forced white wage workers into the most degraded and dangerous work deemed ‘too hazardous for Negro property,’

general summary
    In 1860, 56 percent of personal wealth of the United States was concentrated in the South. In that region’s cotton belt, wealth in slaves accounted for 60 percent of all wealth, greater even than the value of the land itself. As the price of slaves rose in the final decade before the Civil War from $82,000 in 1850 to $120,000 in 1860 (in 2011 dollars), the concentration of slave ownership at the top of Southern society increased dramatically. Slave ownership was far beyond the economic reach of even most landowning whites

"I don't even know what I'm fightin' for, I ain't never owned a slave." Steve Earle, "Ben McCullogh"

Padre Serra’s statue at Puebla de Los Angeles is pulled over, head and hands spray painted red.
    https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-l-a?_amp=true

His likeness Is being removed from Ventura City Hall too.

The one at the San Mateo rest stop will probably be left because it’s so ugly.

We got a really big shoe for you tonight. Generation Butthurt will perform their number 1 hit Tear it down and the new comedy team Champagne Commies will give us a skit.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/rioter...t%20270%20days

The vandals took the handles.
    watch out for snakes

Cry more

So inspiring to see. I hope they keep the momentum going long enough to foment real, lasting change.

If you want to learn about history, read a book, motherfucker.

Statues suck anyway and they don’t create or retain history. I don’t think there are any statues of Hitler or Goering in Germany but that doesn’t seem to have destroyed the history.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Statues suck anyway and they don’t create or retain history. I don’t think there are any statues of Hitler or Goering in Germany but that doesn’t seem to have destroyed the history.
    Precisely. Nor are there highways named after Himmler all over Germany like there are roads named for traitors all over the south.

Statues are easy. Once you've pulled a couple down you develop a skill set. Change is hard.

When I was first out of college I moved across the river to a townhouse in Arlington, Virginia with an address on Lee Highway. When I told my Dad the address on the phone there was a long pause, and then he said as he always did when Lee's name came up, "They should've hung that traitor." "And then "For god's sake, isn't there a Grant Highway around there somewhere you could move to?" No Dad, no Grant Highways in Virginia.

In SF they took down Serra, Francis Scott Key (owned slaves), and US Grant (owned one slave who he freed). And defaced a statue of Cervantes. (No, Cervantes was not a conquistador.)