Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Statue of Robert E. Lee and other confederate symbols

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Time may move slower in Londonderry?
    She was asking because the IBM Selectric was out of the correction tape. Racist bitch.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    She was asking because the IBM Selectric was out of the correction tape.
    I loved the smell the electric motor in those things would emit. Smelled like going to the office with Dad.

It appears your assistant may not be keeping up with supplies. Have her mimeograph an order to be sent to the stockroom, accounting and the office materials supplier.
    I still call it The Jake.

typewriters dissappeared in I'm thinking early 90's there might be one in a corner the mail room and if it broke nobody could fix it

So the selectric came out in the 60's, the CST came out in 73, I fixed 10's of thousands, i could make those things sit up and beg.

nothing communicated with anything else except the phone which still had a rotary dial, so there were no netwerks to placate, if the boss man in the corner office ( this was pre-cube farm and they were all men ) couldnt use the photo copier he might get pissed but only at the copier repair guy so life was pretty easy/uncomplicated, I would come in hungover/spaced-out to make that CST hum, & ride off into the sunset

a pretty good day's work was to fix 7 or 8, we wore suits, then one day in the early 80's a guy comes into the room and sez "you are all gona be computer repairmen "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    It appears your assistant may not be keeping up with supplies. Have her mimeograph an order to be sent to the stockroom, accounting and the office materials supplier.
    She's not at the office today. He may need to record a message for he using the office Dictaphone.

Now people are snapchatting pics of their dicks and junk and throwing balls of flaming literary poo at each other on internet forums...the modern age of enlightenment my ass. Its more like the modern age of discord. It's time to throw away these modern conveniences and embrace the ways of old.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    their endowment is close to a billion dollars, I don't think the $40million award is gonna put them out of business any time soon.
    Oberlin's endowment started with its most prosperous alumnus, Charles Martin Hall, who invented the process for refining aluminum and founded what is not Alcoa. (It's most famous alumnus is probably Sinclair Lewis; my favorite is John Wesley Powell)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    "Coming to grips".... what would this even mean?
    Truckee is very big on historical presentations and reenactments, mostly centered on Sheriff Jake Teeter for some reason. We have no problem celebrating our wild and colorful past but make no public mention of our ugly racist past, although it is mentioned from time to time in the newspapers. Truckee owes its prosperity to the railroad built by those Chinese workers, which led to the Lincoln Highway and then I80. It would not be a bad thing to mention them from time to time in public ceremonies and the like. That history could have been mentioned at the recent demonstration in support of BLM--a racist history that has more directly affected Truckee than racism against Black people. (Nevada County is the whitest country in CA.)

There are 42 historical markers in and around Truckee. One, at the China Wall, commemorates the Chinese workers but makes no mention of what happened to them after the railroad was completed. There should be a marker at the site of the Chinese quarter and a description of how they were treated.

If you have other ideas I'd be glad to hear them.

William Miller : A "mojo"?
    Ben Fong-Torres : A mojo. It's a very modern machine that transmits pages over the telephone. It only takes 18 minutes a page.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I've argued this point on this forum for years. The overt in your face acts of racism are fewer and further between for decades in the south in places like Charlotte and Atlanta. Many places in the northeast have done a "better job" aka worse job of curbing it. Sure on the surface it seems woke, but % of black owned businesses, the know your neighborhood comment, etc. are pretty obvious when traveling in places like philadelphia, Boston etc
    Flame away, but there was entire thread here on Portland being the most racist city in america. yet the image most get of portland is yuppy portlandia types.
    I believe Charlotte desegretated their schools 3-4 years before Boston. Yet it's easy to think its a Southern problem, lets tear down the statues in "those' places.
    I am saying they should come down, but to absolve places like Yale, apparently named after a slave trader or Harvard having a 4% admission rate for african americans goes excused year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Tragically funny

And true

I lived decades in Chicago. Plenty of black folks at work and a few friends.

In Boston, every office was pasty white. Crackers felt comfortable using the n word. And not in a good way.
    I then understood why the Celtics were so white for so long.

PS. That reporter should have gone to southie
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    She's not at the office today. He may need to record a message for he using the office Dictaphone.
    I'm thinking she left a couple of decades ago, along with dinosaurs and pointy breasts you don't see secretaries or assistants ... gotta do it yerself

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    typewriters dissappeared in I'm thinking early 90's there might be one in a corner the mail room and if it broke nobody could fix it

So the selectric came out in the 60's, the CST came out in 73, I fixed 10's of thousands, i could make those things sit up and beg.

nothing communicated with anything else except the phone which still had a rotary dial, so there were no netwerks to placate, if the boss man in the corner office ( this was pre-cube farm and they were all men ) couldnt use the photo copier he might get pissed but only at the copier repair guy so life was pretty easy/uncomplicated, I would come in hungover/spaced-out to make that CST hum, & ride off into the sunset

a pretty good day's work was to fix 7 or 8, we wore suits, then one day in the early 80's a guy comes into the room and sez "you are all gona be computer repairmen "
    I can't recall which, but one of the PBS News Hour reporters has a typewriter and a rotary dial phone in the room she broadcasts from.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If you have other ideas I'd be glad to hear them.
    It was more directed to steep and not you - esp in the context of erasing vs. "coming to grips". I don't deny that Truckee (or a lot of areas) have racist pasts that are largely unknown or unacknowledged. My point is: "coming to grips" is a platitude. It is non-specific and unmeasurable - how would one know that we've attained 'coming to grips' and ready for the next thing? Its just sort of meaningless.

All of the related events are progress and on a spectrum. Dialog - protests - unrest - changing who we honor - backlash - adjustment - acknowledging the past... resolution.... all of it is fluid and I think best viewed as progress and absolute stances of "what about this...and... we should be addressing xyz instead" as go/no go gates is not productive. Taking that approach means we are deadlocked forever. No one will be on the same timeline for 'coming to terms' or even share a common understanding of the problems or path forward. Continual improvement does happen tho. Anyway - tl;dr - aim to shape the process & conversation vs. invent blockers on why it can't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Sneaky way for the Gov to name it after himself, IMO.
    As far as taking the idiot kids of the upper class (JFK jr, GWB) Stanford does better than the Ivy's.
    Its probably unfair to paint Chelsea Clinton with that brush because she got a reputable graduate degree afterward and doesn't appear to be brain-dead, but it is arguably the flagship jock school in the country. And they all make out with the tree during full moon on the quad.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

This is the noose found in Wallace's garage

Also, from here:

NASCAR conducted a thorough sweep of all the garage areas in all 29 tracks in which they race, which encompasses 1,684 garage stalls.

"We found only 11 total that had a pull-down rope tied in a knot, and only one noose - the one discovered on Sunday in Bubba Wallace's garage," Phelps said.

Phelps said NASCAR determined that the noose wasn't in the garage prior to the October 2019 race weekend, but it was unable to determine "with any certainty who tied this rope in this manner, or why it was done.
    So, if you want to ridicule Wallace with references to Smollett, just know that you're making it clear you're rather racist. And while the noose had been there for months and was not directed at Wallace, that was unknown when it was reported by someone in his crew. And in any event, it is unknown why it was there and why it was not reported until now; the intent of it being there (and staying there for months) was still quite possibly racist, just not directed specifically at Wallace.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I've argued this point on this forum for years. The overt in your face acts of racism are fewer and further between for decades in the south in places like Charlotte and Atlanta. Many places in the northeast have done a "better job" aka worse job of curbing it. Sure on the surface it seems woke, but % of black owned businesses, the know your neighborhood comment, etc. are pretty obvious when traveling in places like philadelphia, Boston etc
    Flame away, but there was entire thread here on Portland being the most racist city in america. yet the image most get of portland is yuppy portlandia types.
    I believe Charlotte desegretated their schools 3-4 years before Boston. Yet it's easy to think its a Southern problem, lets tear down the statues in "those' places.
    I am saying they should come down, but to absolve places like Yale, apparently named after a slave trader or Harvard having a 4% admission rate for african americans goes excused year after year.
    Who here is absolving Yale or Harvard?

This is the noose found in Wallace's garage

Also, from here:

So, if you want to ridicule Wallace with references to Smollett, just know that you're making it clear you're rather racist. And while the noose had been there for months and was not directed at Wallace, that was unknown when it was reported by someone in his crew. And in any event, it is unknown why it was there and why it was not reported until now; the intent of it being there (and staying there for months) was still quite possibly racist, just not directed specifically at Wallace.
    It all seems pretty fishy to me. Nooses just aren't something you see in day-to-day life.

It is a way to take up extra rope if you don't like cutting a rope,

nobody knows how to tie a noose but I looked at it and figured out how to tie one,

i forget where/what I tied a noose on but when i think of a noose I picture some horse stealing white guy in a western movie, not a black guy in a nascar garage

It all seems pretty fishy to me. Nooses just aren't something you see in day-to-day life.
    Yep. The fact that it had been there since October and not reported seems fairly fishy, or at least a measure of how white folks don't see something like that as problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    It is a way to take up extra rope if you don't like cutting a rope,

nobody knows how to tie a noose but I looked at it and figured out how to tie one,

i forget where/what I tied a noose on but when i think of a noose I picture some horse stealing white guy in a western movie, not a black guy in a nascar garage
    1,684 garage stalls. All have a rope pull down. One had a noose. Seems fairly intentional here, not just innocent rope tying.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Know your knots. That's a Hangman's Noose knot Not a noose knot nor is it a Uni knot.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Statue of Robert E. Lee and other confederate symbols

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Who here is absolving Yale or Harvard?
    Obviously no one here amongst the socially righteous and woke crowd that resides in pasty white ski towns, but Harvard and Yale et all, certainly get a large berth compared to the anger hurled at mouth breathing presumed confederate shirt wearing morons anyone not from the inter mountain west of northeast that this crowd likes to point out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Statue of Robert E. Lee and other confederate symbols

Perhaps it was put up in October for Halloween as a scary prank and had an empty race suit and helmet attached to scare people?
    Is that possible?
    Wrong guy, wrong garage for sure.
    I’ve hated seeing the confederate flag my whole life.
    Yet merely seeing a hangman noose put up at Halloween time makes me a presume racist?
    It’s entirely possible it was put up at Halloween and then the garage has sat empty over the winter.
    Bad optics either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    We have found the honorable southern white man!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    first.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...t=#post6006213

Perhaps it was put up in October for Halloween as a scary prank and had an empty race suit and helmet attached to scare people?
    Is that possible?
    Wrong guy, wrong garage for sure.
    I’ve hated seeing the confederate flag my whole life.
    Yet merely seeing a hangman noose put up at Halloween time makes me a presume racist?

man, you sure try hard to absolve everyone of racism when evidence points otherwise. or play whataboutism. all while constantly having to reiterate that you are not, in fact, racist. seems kind of a weird approach, but you do you.

man, you sure try hard to absolve everyone of racism when evidence points otherwise. or play whataboutism. all while constantly having to reiterate that you are not, in fact, racist. seems kind of a weird approach, but you do you.
    Wait your theory is a racist planted the noose in October and waited 8 months for the lone African American driver to be assigned the garage, or the FBI lied with the surveillance or NASCAR lies the garage was not randomly assigned.
    I am actually curious what your take is. How did this play out from October 13th of 2019 until June of 2020.
    You're an attorney. Lay out the facts for my simple mind to understand how someone managed to pull off a 9 month trolling. Or the FBI pulled an epstein surveillance. Someone has got to be lying. Explain your theory to me.

Obviously no one here amongst the socially righteous and woke crowd that resides in pasty white ski towns, but Harvard and Yale et all, certainly get a large berth compared to the anger hurled at mouth breathing presumed confederate shirt wearing morons anyone not from the inter mountain west of northeast that this crowd likes to point out.

So no one in pasty white ski towns is giving Yale and Harvard special treatment....but it’s just the people in pasty white ski towns giving them special treatment...brilliant post.