Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Balance boards... who rides 'em? log style or ball style?

Curious who out there spends any time on a balance board..
    What kind do you have? Does it roll on a perfect cylinder, a tapered cylinder? the Ball style?
    Do you like yours, if you were to buy another, would you get the same thing?

Did you make your own for 1/20th the cost?

I rock a Vew-Do Flow, tapered. Love it
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    I rock a Vew-Do Flow, tapered. Love it
    Me too... And so do my kids.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

piece of pipe and scrap wood board

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    piece of pipe and scrap wood board
    Nah dude, you buy these things, like once in your lifetime. Support the Vermont hippies, buy a Vew-Do.

https://www.vewdo.com/
    crab in my shoe mouth

2 litre pop jug filled with water and lid taped on hella secure and a skate deck.

DOes that get you side to side and front to back?

Or will tapered rollers be the only way to get that?

Quote Originally Posted by beeeom View Post
    2 litre pop jug filled with water and lid taped on hella secure and a skate deck.

Got an indo board years ago. Use to rock it all the time, my kid took it and uses it to work out with free weights now. I'll get back on it prior to every ski season. Kid and I will challenge each other to round of horse doing tricks.

The Vew Do looks good, never heard of them before.

Vew-Do at home with the taper and a Pivit (cheap plastic version) at the office. Not sure Pivit is still around though.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by beeeom View Post
    If you can do a pop shove-it on a 1 lb propane cylinder you’ve got it mastered.

Built Mrs Z a wobble board for her stand up desk, she needed something she couldn’t fall off of and it’s got a little more versatility with the fore/aft. One of these: 4” sch 40 PVC cap, a scrap piece of MDF with a veneer, a handful of sand out the kids’ sandbox and some spray urethane because fuck grip tape is expensive, and she’s got a custom board to match the furniture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B87B3550-A607-4460-949A-E1A550046B2D.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	596.1 KB 
ID:	330548

Name:	D1C75AB6-542E-4C31-925E-3B55CEB1953B.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	491.1 KB 
ID:	330549

There were these French dudes at retallack cats rocking them in the game room. It was classic and made them cat like. Did not seem to help their skiing from what I could tell. But they look fun

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Balance boards... who rides 'em? log style or ball style?

I’ve got an old Powell/Peralta skate deck that an old roommate gave to me forever ago that I pulled the trucks off of and cut a small section off a 4” wooden fence post that I sanded down. Love that thing, had it for at least a decade and a half and I actually believe it absolutely helps for balance and is great for the knees. I typically do at least 5-10min post any work out I do (I don’t work out much).
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

I had a Bongo Board in college 30+ years ago; loved that thing. Great workout.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Nah dude, you buy these things, like once in your lifetime. Support the Vermont hippies, buy a Vew-Do.

https://www.vewdo.com/
    I'm interested. Any idea how they handle on hardwoods?

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    I'm interested. Any idea how they handle on hardwoods?
    Throw a yoga mat down and rock on
    crab in my shoe mouth

Forgive the schooling but Biomechanics is my background. The theory behind ‘balance’ is that we develop and maximize it as a skill by the time we are 12 years old. Some researchers even believe 4 years of age may be the max. This is why you enrol your kids into gymnastics and NOT swimming.

Plenty of research has shown, practicing on Indo/Bosu/whatever has shown absolutely ZERO transfer to sport or activity.

Sorry for the rant but the fitness industry is WAY too full of these ‘snake oil’ products designed to ‘entertain’ the individual. ‘Bang for buck’, time is MUCH better utilized on strength training, in essence the stronger you are the easier and more ‘bulletproof’ an individual can be in their chosen sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my DIY setup. 36"x12" piece of mahogany (scored this cheap, but any hardwood will work). The roller is made from furniture feet.

It may or may not be useful as an athletic training tool, but it is certainly a better way to watch TV than parking my ass on the couch. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200603_194801.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	330630

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Forgive the schooling but Biomechanics is my background. The theory behind ‘balance’ is that we develop and maximize it as a skill by the time we are 12 years old. Some researchers even believe 4 years of age may be the max. This is why you enrol your kids into gymnastics and NOT swimming.

Plenty of research has shown, practicing on Indo/Bosu/whatever has shown absolutely ZERO transfer to sport or activity.

Sorry for the rant but the fitness industry is WAY too full of these ‘snake oil’ products designed to ‘entertain’ the individual. ‘Bang for buck’, time is MUCH better utilized on strength training, in essence the stronger you are the easier and more ‘bulletproof’ an individual can be in their chosen sport.

If I developed my balance by 12, why could I only stand on a balance board for a few seconds when I got it but after a few months, I could watch a movie from one? Seems like my feet are about the same width apart on the board as when I ski. That has to translate somehow. Maybe not...

I guess if the research is there then I'm not more worked when I lift while on a balance board than when I lift not on a balance board.

My legs are also not as tired as I think from balancing during a zoom call vs standing or sitting at my desk.

Sorry for the snark, but whenever I do something on a balance board vs not, I feel it. Maybe it's a placebo. I'm okay with that too. Like DTM says, I'd rather be doing something (balance board) than nothing (standing or sitting).

So are we just talking no observable translation from using a balance board to performance in sports? Or no benefit period to muscle groups in the legs and core? I'm fine if all the benefits are in the latter, but am curious as to why these would be completely worthless.

Been using the same balance board since high school (30 years). I think it helped but I’m not scientific. Definitely helped recovery from torn ACLs in both knees the last 4 years. Used a board in rehab and continued at home.

Name:	IMG_7547.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	292.9 KB 
ID:	330648

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7547.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	330647  

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post

This is complete BS. Is balance best developed before we turn 12? Yeah I can probably buy into that. Is your balance completely set at 12, it can never get better? No. If so then there is no way Conundrum could have improved his balance at all, let alone in a short amount of time. His balance would have been the exact same after a few months as it was after his first day. But instead it improved. Get a balance board, you can improve your balance which will translate over to skiing. Thanks for posting this ExPowderSnob, reminds me that I gotta pull that Vew-Do out of the closet.

Old Bongo Board and a Fitter plastic round board. Both are fun but the Bongo used to get me through droning conference calls, not as good during video calls.

Pretty sure robnow is referring to overall balance.
    You can still improve skill specific balance over your life, but it probably wont translate as much as one would think.

Ofcourse standing on a balance board over time will make you better at it, but will it transfer to other things, probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post

Ofcourse standing on a balance board over time will make you better at it, but will it transfer to other things, probably not.
    I'm still not convinced. On a tapered rock, you are balancing side to side and fore aft. When skiing, you balance side to side and fore aft. I seemed to notice a difference on my ability to get centered or forward on my skis after being bumped out of that position the more I spent time on my balance board. Maybe a placebo and definitely arbitrary with an n of 1 but I know using a balance board is certainly not making me less balanced and agile on my my skis.

I like the Revolution boards without the track so you can also slide forward and back. Padded roller too works good on hardwood

Name:	IMG_1182.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	330660