Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Nice TR! I wonder how those kayakers are holding up. I just took out from a seven day San Juan River trip yesterday and Clay Hills is in the middle of fucking nowhere. Everything below that is flaaaaaat water. There is also is supposedly an un-runable waterfall between Clay Hills and the Lake from the falling water level. Did they mention it?

Someday I need to do a SUP based trip like this. Thanks for the inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by m104da View Post
    What was water temp? And definitely need to plan around wind huh?
    Last, what model SUP is that? Curious on dimensions and how it did for that kind of mileage
    Thx!
    I saw about 75*F before my trip, though don't what point on the lake that was taken. The Escalante arm felt really cold to me - like mid 60s, the main lake body slightly warmer. I could just be a wuss now from living in the desert.

It's a badfisher, 11.5'x36"x6". Pretty rock solid as far as stability goes. I think something more streamlined would have been better suited for the trip but this board sure as hell got it done and never felt like a burden. Think I had about 60lbs of gear with me between food/clothes/camp stuffs/camera crap/etc and did not feel like it was overloaded whatsoever. Also, just a word about the durability and overall build quality - short answer is it rocks. I'm not polite with the board at all and have been very impressed to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by divegirl View Post
    It seems this would be a fun trip to do as a one-way car shuttle.
    I just bought a sup so this is total stoke - I'm hooked. I'm thinking of doing a 2-night kayak/sup trip somewhere in the San Juans this summer with Legoskier and child.
    100%. Would have loved to go straight from Halls Crossing to the dam!
    Not sure if the Dolores is technically considered in the San Juans but that would be a fun river to float if you're into fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    Nice TR! I wonder how those kayakers are holding up. I just took out from a seven day San Juan River trip yesterday and Clay Hills is in the middle of fucking nowhere. Everything below that is flaaaaaat water. There is also is supposedly an un-runable waterfall between Clay Hills and the Lake from the falling water level. Did they mention it?
    Didn't hear anything about a waterfall from the kayak guys, however after doing some digging there indeed appears to be a set of falls about 4 miles south of Clay Hills deemed fatt falls. After seeing pics it sure as hell does not look runable for a sane person.

Taken from here:
    https://adventurepro.us/sufferpackin...southern-utah/
    ^This is a good read as well if you've got time.

Here's a link to a good description of the location. If you read this while following along on google earth you'll find it.
    https://rrfw.org/riverwire/waterfall...san-juan-river

Yeah, I looked into it after asking about the same and looks like it is there as of 2016:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOnmUNHLpIA

I think it is creeping up stream, not sure about rate.

Similar feature just below the Pearce Ferry take-out for the Grand Canyon

Name:  pearce-ferry-rapid-grand-canyon_s.jpeg
Views: 5854
Size:  89.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post

Taken from here:
    https://adventurepro.us/sufferpackin...southern-utah/
    ^This is a good read as well if you've got time.

Here's a link to a good description of the location. If you read this while following along on google earth you'll find it.
    https://rrfw.org/riverwire/waterfall...san-juan-river
    I know Cole Davis, he lives just down the street from me. He's a good dude, but holy shit is that a sufferfest. That 200 mile ride back to Clay Hills would have been horrific, I'm glad they skipped it and bailed. Character builder of an adventure to say the least lol.

There are a couple signs at Clay Hills warning people about the waterfall. We talked to two guys doing fish biology research on the Juan and they told us about a sand stake blowing with three boats on it that accidentally ran the falls a few years back and totaled all the boats. Worth remembering if you ever feel like going from Clay Hills down or forget to tie a boat up when the water is on the rise (that may have happened to us this time but we found it).

And that rapid at Pearce Ferry is fucking gnar. I've seen some videos of creature crafts running it and I would never go near it in a normal boat of any sort.

Sorry for the thread drift east or bust! But damn if the San Juan down to Glen isn't just some interesting canyon country. What I would give to see if pre-Glen....

Great TR man! Thanks for taking the time to post it up.

TR: 4 Nights and 4 Days on Lake Powell By Paddle

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    damn if the San Juan down to Glen isn't just some interesting canyon country. What I would give to see if pre-Glen....
    Truth!

No worries about the drift, hell, identifying those falls here could potentially save a life someday.

Really cool, East or Bust. Looks pretty unforgettable. Thanks for putting a TR together, it's a nice reminder of why we're all here.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Right on, thanks for posting! I have asperations of doing some touring on my sup so wicked to see it getting done. What an amazing spot and great photos east or bust!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!