Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Yeah, thought about Baja, don't know what covid restrictions might be like. Delayed trip to wrap up a work project that's going to spill into Spring looks like, so have a while to see on restrictions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Just a shout out and apology for not following through/up to all that responded on here. I went through a rough patch, had big plans to sell everything and travel, bought surf gear, covid hit, beaches shut down, bailed on surf plan, got depressed, drank heavily, got more depressed, stopped posting on TGR, quit job, found much better job five months ago, moved back to home town after 40 years for new job, enjoying backcountry mecca and four 10s with no people/fishing with my 79 year old dad, life is good again, daughter moving to Long Beach this summer, excited to visit and learn to surf.

I think that about covers it. Thanks all!

I just surfed for the first time in Kauai 3 weeks ago. I'm 45. Caught the first wave I tried. It was awesome. The actual surfing was the easiest part. The paddling out was fucking exhausting. At the end of my 3 days surfing my ribs fucking hurt like nothing I've ever felt before. I can't wait to go again.

Poipu?

First day I did the lesson at what they called Sheraton Beach (end of street by the hotel), after two waves the instructor said I was good to head to a bigger break so we left there and paddled to the other side of the reef to the east where the waves were bigger. Day two and three were at Poipu. We were staying at the Grand Hyatt and I watched little groms ripping the shit out of Shipwreck beach in front of the hotel, I wanted to go so bad but my wife shut it down, apparently she didn't feel my skill set matched the wave size or consequence. So I made do and jumped the 40ft cliff into the ocean instead.........after I jumped I was told by a local Justin Bieber jumped it, so now I have street cred.

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    I just surfed for the first time in Kauai 3 weeks ago. I'm 45. Caught the first wave I tried. It was awesome. The actual surfing was the easiest part. The paddling out was fucking exhausting. At the end of my 3 days surfing my ribs fucking hurt like nothing I've ever felt before. I can't wait to go again.
    I never got my board to the ocean but did spend quite a bit of time paddling at a large reservoir. I was surprised how hard it was. Had a couple instances of surfable waves, but the gale force winds creating the waves were just too brutal.

Sorry to revive the thread, but does anybody have a good YouTube channel for beginners? Ive been surfing on the coast of Ecuador for last week and a half and finally caught my first green wave a few days ago. Should be here for about a month hoping to make a few turns before then.