Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks Ottime

Much better success with the wetsuit today by being a little more patient. Plus just getting the hang of how to contort my body has helped. Paddling stamina wasn't great, seemed to drop from last time but I was still somewhat sore today before starting. The main issue is rocking side to side as I paddle and having to adjust to stay centered. I'm sure it will get better with time, I did find that thinking of it as a lightweight piece of skimming foam and trying to actually slow my strokes down and go with the flow of the board a little more was more efficient than trying to muscle it around with faster stronger strokes if that makes sense. Definitely improving at my sitting/spinning, trying to duck dive was beyond comical if anyone happened to see me I'm sure.

Im sure you looked like a kook out on a lake trying to duck dive. It is actually much easier with waves, as you are going with the flow of water under the wave. Still great practice to get the feel for things.

Yes, paddle in sync with the flow of the board. Kind of like peddling in sync with the bike and the gear. Trying to accelerate to fasts, or whipping your arms around to fast, just won't do it. Better slow, powerful strokes that move well with eh speed of the board.

Try to find your board and body balance center line. Ideally, you chest bone pretty much stays in places. you grip your board with it, and help direct it with subtle shifts to lean the board left/right. As you reach with your left arm, the board will shift slightly down on the left side, going flat as you pull back on your paddles, dipping every so slightly on the right side as you reach forward with your right arm, going flat as you pull through the paddle. Slow, strong. Go for a rhythm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Im sure you looked like a kook out on a lake trying to duck dive. It is actually much easier with waves, as you are going with the flow of water under the wave. Still great practice to get the feel for things.

Yes, paddle in sync with the flow of the board. Kind of like peddling in sync with the bike and the gear. Trying to accelerate to fasts, or whipping your arms around to fast, just won't do it. Better slow, powerful strokes that move well with eh speed of the board.

Try to find your board and body balance center line. Ideally, you chest bone pretty much stays in places. you grip your board with it, and help direct it with subtle shifts to lean the board left/right. As you reach with your left arm, the board will shift slightly down on the left side, going flat as you pull back on your paddles, dipping every so slightly on the right side as you reach forward with your right arm, going flat as you pull through the paddle. Slow, strong. Go for a rhythm.
    I'm embracing my inner kook, ha. Ya, I'm sure waves would help a lot. Great advice, thanks!

Spent some time on the 8’ foamy while hanging with my son. Paddling around the shore break and insiders. Don’t think I could actually duck dive it. But I would make sure I was perpendicular to the incoming wave and put one forearm across the nose of the board, become tight with the board and allow the wave to wash over me. Worked well with smaller waves.

Do you have any boat Wales you can practice paddling into?

There are occasional waves if a larger boat passes nearby. I try to avoid them as much as I can. I have had a couple of annoying encounters in my kayak with boaters not really paying attention to make sure they don't run me over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Your suggestions helped on paddling Ottime. I also found tracking was easier with my legs lifted slightly off the board for some reason, but my core is still too wimpy to hold that for very long, lol.

I did have an incident where I accidentally let a board fin smack a rock when I slipped getting off a rock pile into the water. The whole thing popped out, foam and all, but I pushed it back in and it seems to be alright now. Not sure if that's all there is too it or if there is some other way to secure it better. It's this style: Name:  fin box.jpg
Views: 3555
Size:  15.4 KB

Water is finally getting too warm for the wetsuit so board shorts and rashguard for the next session. Rain moving in early afternoon for a few days so probably won't get back out for a while.

Yeah, legs/feet can help with steering a board like a rudder would. It does slow you down by adding drag. But that can also be a plus. Sometimes you need to slow down and allow a wave to catch up to you.

Never seen a fin plug pop out. Make sure
    It is secure and not allowing water to seep in.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Your suggestions helped on paddling Ottime. I also found tracking was easier with my legs lifted slightly off the board for some reason, but my core is still too wimpy to hold that for very long, lol.

I did have an incident where I accidentally let a board fin smack a rock when I slipped getting off a rock pile into the water. The whole thing popped out, foam and all, but I pushed it back in and it seems to be alright now. Not sure if that's all there is too it or if there is some other way to secure it better. It's this style: Name:  fin box.jpg
Views: 3555
Size:  15.4 KB

Water is finally getting too warm for the wetsuit so board shorts and rashguard for the next session. Rain moving in early afternoon for a few days so probably won't get back out for a while.
    Wait the whole fin box came out? You could see actual foam as opposed to the fin falling out? If so stop paddling immediately. You're gonna need to get that fixed otherwise the board will be come waterlogged before you even start.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Wait the whole fin box came out? You could see actual foam as opposed to the fin falling out? If so stop paddling immediately. You're gonna need to get that fixed otherwise the board will be come waterlogged before you even start.
    Yes. I have an email into the company I bought it from on how to proceed but haven't heard back yet. I will give them a call tomorrow if I don't hear back. My fault, just want their input on how to fix it.

Reputable ding repair shop. Dont try yourself. you will fuck it up. Preferably a shaper if you can find one. Sorry for the bad news man.

Reputable ding repair shop. Dont try yourself. you will fuck it up. Preferably a shaper if you can find one. Sorry for the bad news man.
    Is it really that complicated? I mean the plug is intact and fits flush and firm back into the opening it just needs sealed properly without dissolving the foam. It doesn't seem like rocket surgery but definitely out of my element regarding surfboards. I do all my own bike and ski work and have for years and am pretty handy in general so didn't think it would be that big of a deal honestly. I will wait to see what the company says, but not going to find a shaper or repair shop in Montana I'm pretty sure.

Is it really that complicated? I mean the plug is intact and fits flush and firm back into the opening it just needs sealed properly without dissolving the foam. It doesn't seem like rocket surgery but definitely out of my element regarding surfboards. I do all my own bike and ski work and have for years and am pretty handy in general so didn't think it would be that big of a deal honestly. I will wait to see what the company says, but not going to find a shaper or repair shop in Montana I'm pretty sure.
    its totally up to you.
    https://www.surfer.com/videos/how-to...roken-fin-box/

I know its not something im comfortable with. I let the local surfers in Mexico fix basically anything except for creases and fin boxes. If they don't put it in perfectly lined up it can drastically affect the boards performance. I take those repairs to proper shops in Puerto to get done.

It is not a fiberglass board. It is foam. Totally different repair. I imagine with foam boards you just need the correct adhesive like 3Pin is thinking.

OTOH, not sure if is dot a manufacturing defect. The adhesive they used seems to have failed. If the fin does not show much damage, and the pug comes out intact without foam damage, then the things was never in there correctly. In an impact, a fcs fin is supposed to break at the tabs, but that only works if hit laterally. If hitting a rock, usually the plugs will pull out of the board on the old FCS. The FCS II was a sort of fix for that. Still, when plugs get ripped out of your board, they usually pull foam and laminate with it. Regardless if a fiberglass or soft board.

Epoxy resin is their suggestion. It looks just like the picture I posted earlier, figure 8 of foam in line with the plastic surface piece so I think your right Ottime, it was probably not installed properly. It should be a super easy fix though (unless I accidentally I put it in backwards, hahaha).

ahh right. sorry my bad! You can probably disregard everything i said then. totally blanked on that.

ahh right. sorry my bad! You can probably disregard everything i said then. totally blanked on that.
    Ya, it's a kook barge, and definitely appreciate all the good input you have provided in this thread.

Ya, it's a kook barge, and definitely appreciate all the good input you have provided in this thread.
    Hey mate sorry to post in this thread. Did you sell those Outlaw x bindings? I just joined up so my permissions are limited on that thread.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mattC View Post
    Hey mate sorry to post in this thread. Did you sell those Outlaw x bindings? I just joined up so my permissions are limited on that thread.
    Cheers
    Yes, will shoot you a p.m. but I don't recall if you can access those right away as a new member.
    edit: looks like I can't p.m. you yet until you get a higher post count

I have them on craigslist here if you want to respond to me that way: https://helena.craigslist.org/spo/d/...138401255.html

Yes, will send you a p.m. but I don't recall if you can access those right away as a new member.
    edit: looks like I can't p.m. you yet until you get a higher post count
    Thanks mate, I've sent you an email. Let me know here if you don't receive it.

Quote Originally Posted by mattC View Post
    Thanks mate, I've sent you an email. Let me know here if you don't receive it.
    Got it and replied.

Lots of good info in this thread. I just returned from a couple of days on Van Isle and it’s got me thinking other areas in the PNW. Any recommendations on good (beginner) breaks in NW Wa, such as the west side of the Olympic Peninsula? I’ve seen Westport discussed. Not sure if there are other obvious choices north of there...

I’m terrible at surfing but that’s what you get for doing it a handful of times over the last twenty years. Helpful to read all the pointers here. Seems like a great family sport and my 7 year old is loving it. As a kayaker who’s been using dry suits and dry tops for years, I gotta say it’s going to take some getting used to cold and damp wetsuits while camping.

I bring a hanger for my suit while camping. Rinse after surfing, hang from line until dark. Wrong excess water from the cuffs, and then I put the suit inside a vehicle over night. Or at least under a canopy. So it does not re-wet with dew. Hang it up again once I get up in the morning and hope for the best putting it on. On really cold mornings you can boils some water, mix with cold water to create bath water temp, then pour inside your suit right before putting it on. Warm water in your booties is toasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I bring a hanger for my suit while camping. Rinse after surfing, hang from line until dark. Wrong excess water from the cuffs, and then I put the suit inside a vehicle over night. Or at least under a canopy. So it does not re-wet with dew. Hang it up again once I get up in the morning and hope for the best putting it on. On really cold mornings you can boils some water, mix with cold water to create bath water temp, then pour inside your suit right before putting it on. Warm water in your booties is toasty.
    I will have my camp trailer which has a shower with a nice skylight, should be perfect for hanging/drying. I like the warm water trick!

Once you piss in it, and you will,you won't want it draining into your camper. Unless you're into that. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I still can’t get comfortable with the idea of bathing in my own urine. Not here to judge the rest of y’all but I think I’ll be following Ottime’s advice on this one.