Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talk me out of cancelling a Crested Butte trip in 3 weeks

In February I booked a condo in CB for June 24-28. Original plan was for the kiddo to ride the CBMR bike park a bunch, do the Junior Bike Week DH race, have some fun at the other JBW events, and do a Doctor Park lap. Since then:

-JBW has been cancelled
    -The CBMR bike park has yet to announce an opening date and may not even be open in 3 weeks
    -My recovery from a TBI late last fall has been much slower than anticipated and I still can't ride anything that isn't super buff, which means there's not much in CB I can ride. I should definitely not ride DP.

The condo host is cool with us moving the reservation to the same week next year, but I need to make the call in the next day or two. The optimistic half of my brain says to just go and make the best of it. The pessimistic half says the above makes it an entirely dumb time to spend money on a bike trip and next year would be way more awesomer.

Questions about risk tolerance acceptance ratios should probably be referred to the “is the stock market going crash” thread.... Them folks is experts on that shit.

You only get one brain. If the point was to ride with your kid, then bump the trip.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I was all ready to say you should go but after reading the new shit that has come to light I'd say push.

I knew from the start that I wouldn't get to ride with him much. Originally some friends of ours were also going and he was going to do all the bike park riding with them. They didn't book lodging before the pandemic hit so now they're not going, so it's just mom and I to ride with now. She had a knee replacement in January and also isn't in top form. Yeah, I should just cancel, but I love CB and bagging the whole thing kills me.

Go now. You might be dead next year.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Go now. You might be dead next year.
    Right? Probably not literally dead, but right now it's a big mental leap to count on anything a year from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Right? Probably not literally dead, but right now it's a big mental leap to count on anything a year from now.
    Right. And I don't know how old your kid is, but once they turn 13-14 it gets harder and harder to find time to do stuff like that with them. No matter what you two end up doing, easy riding, hiking, whatever, it's quality time that you will always remember IMO.

Its hard to have a bad time in the Gunnison Valley. I say go. Worst case scenario you modify your plans- get on a mellow stretch of river or rent some sups or kayaks and hit the lake one morning. Even just escaping the Salt Lake valley heat and getting in the mountains will feel damn good in another month, the way things are going.

Hell, can I join you? Lol

CO resident here, and I would recommend going for it. COVID has already blown through this State and especially the mountain communities.

Keep your distance, get your hotel, buy a bunch of groceries and booze, ride your bike from the hotel every day and you'll have a fucking awesome time! There will be an insane amount of stuff to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    CO resident here, and I would recommend going for it. COVID has already blown through this State and especially the mountain communities.

Keep your distance, get your hotel, buy a bunch of groceries and booze, ride your bike from the hotel every day and you'll have a fucking awesome time! There will be an insane amount of stuff to ride.
    You might want to re-read the OP. COVID doesn't even factor into this decision.

mountain towns are over rated
    cb is more over rated than average, heck every clown I know around here likes to goto cb and pretend it's breck 25 years ago, and yeah they are right
    I'd go
    get away RandR it'll be 20% of normal as far as tourons, you can't beat an experience like that
    getting away, sitting by the gunny river, riding hartmans and riding around cb that could all suck

FUCK OFF KOOK

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Even just escaping the Salt Lake valley heat and getting in the mountains will feel damn good in another month, the way things are going.
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    it'll be 20% of normal as far as tourons, you can't beat an experience like that
    These are excellent points.

Go!

The weathers been spectacular and the riding is really good.

Snowmass bike park opens on the 21st.
    The new trails are rad.
    Stop for a day, before or after and I’ll ride with your kid.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0201.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	330383

Go this year and next year. No need to SUP to have a good time. Bu have you been before to bike?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Bu have you been before to bike?
    Yeah, did 4 days a few years ago. Rode most of the classics. Did something like 75 miles and climbed 14k (aka, a slow weekday for evdog) and loved every minute. Got rained out the afternoon we were going to ride the bike park.

Yeah, did 4 days a few years ago. Rode most of the classics. Did something like 75 miles and climbed 14k (aka, a slow weekday for evdog) and loved every minute. Got rained out the afternoon we were going to ride the bike park.
    Well shit, then you know what you are missing out on.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    id say go but I factor in global pandemics in all my decisions these days
    have you consulted any toothless carnies
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Its a no brainer to me (sorry about the pun DTM) I get super sick of the SL valley right about that time of the year and mountain air is the only cure. I say goforit ride mellow and shoot fotos of your grom ripping and have altac rest her knee at the pool of the condo sounds like winning to me
    Last edited by happytimefunbox; 06-02-2020 at 04:55 PM.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

In February I booked a condo in CB for June 24-28. Original plan was for the kiddo to ride the CBMR bike park a bunch, do the Junior Bike Week DH race, have some fun at the other JBW events, and do a Doctor Park lap. Since then:

-JBW has been cancelled
    -The CBMR bike park has yet to announce an opening date and may not even be open in 3 weeks
    -My recovery from a TBI late last fall has been much slower than anticipated and I still can't ride anything that isn't super buff, which means there's not much in CB I can ride. I should definitely not ride DP.

The condo host is cool with us moving the reservation to the same week next year, but I need to make the call in the next day or two. The optimistic half of my brain says to just go and make the best of it. The pessimistic half says the above makes it an entirely dumb time to spend money on a bike trip and next year would be way more awesomer.
    If you go, do you trust yourself to not ride stuff you want to but shouldn’t?

Go. If you don't, you be one year older when you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    FUCK OFF KOOK
    Apparently my sarcasm meter was very broken yesterday. I'd be happy to not go if my condo host was asking me not to come and offering me a refund, but she's not. I'd happily stay home if CB was asking me to, but CB and Gunnison are practically begging people to come: https://gunnisoncrestedbutte.com/wide-open/

I'll think we'll go out of spite alone. Spite Trip 2020, w0000t!

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Snowmass bike park opens on the 21st.
    The new trails are rad.
    Stop for a day, before or after and I’ll ride with your kid.
    I'd take you up on this if it wasn't such a long ass drive from CB to Snowmass.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post
    If you go, do you trust yourself to not ride stuff you want to but shouldn’t?
    Not concerned there. Main concerns are keeping the 10. y.o. entertained and off a screen, and me not being a self-pitying little bitch who's mad he can't ride (I'm not too proud to admit that there's been a lot of that lately).

Have you cleared this idea with your neurosurgeon?

Chance to hit CB with most of the tourists gone? Done.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear