Attaching leader to sink tip line..

I’m using Airflo Streamer Max short. No welded loop.
    I’ve had decent success, nail knotting my leader to the line. At this point I’ve had to start a new butt section a few times.
    On the stream,(anywhere actually) I suck at tying knots.

Last week i got hung up, broke the butt section to about 4 inches, and had to tie on a new leader. Shitty job of a new nail knot, hung up again, and trying to yank it loose, the leader basically delaminated the line, and pulled off instead of breaking.

I can generally manage to tie on a good leader at home, but struggling on the water. I’m suck at knots. Plus, I’m slowly shortening the head, which is fine now, and I’m probably getting it closer to the length it actually needs to be, but eventually it’s gonna be too short.

Should I keep doing what I’m doing? Should I tie a loop into the fly line?
    What do you guys do?
    Last edited by KenJongIll; 06-01-2020 at 12:41 PM.

You have a few options of putting a new loop on the end of your line.

1. Make a whipped loop on the end of your fly line. Google it, plenty of videos.

2. Add a butt section with a loop. Use the butt of an old leader and attach it to your fly line, leaving a few inches with a perfection loop at the end to attach new leaders.
    2 (a) Keep trying to add that butt section with a nail knot until you do it without stripping the coating off (more wraps are better).
    2 (b) Use an Albright knot instead of a nail knot.

3. Take it to a fly shop.

A tool helps a lot with a nail knot or Albright knot. Message me on IG and I'll send you one.

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    Albright knot
    I was going to suggest that. I suck at tying Nail knots, especially streamside. So I just do an Albright knot, much easier and can’t remember ever having one fail.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    for me
    or a couple hours and a thimble and I once did what #3 did in 5 minutes
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Relevant link and shameless plug, because someone posted a video that wasn't mine.

I'll put that in the rules for 2021.

Thanks guys...I’ve got a nail knot tool and was “trying” to,use it on the river....I definitely didn’t get enough wraps and that’s why it failed, no doubt., but I’m going to try one of these other suggestions...

So Underoos...you’re on IG??? Hah

Thanks y’all

My bad. I think I have you confused with someone else

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    My bad. I think I have you confused with someone else
    I was just joking...about the IG thing, your prolificacy is unavoidable. Just don’t let it go to your head.

I think remember seeing your video on that tool that someone sent you. I’ll try and find it and see if I’m interested. I do need more stickers..so..

Btw, I just went with another nail knot in my living room. Shitty vision, and knot tying skilz and probably impatience cost me on the water.
    Looked at the Albright, but didn’t seem much easier, and looked like I would have to sacrifice more fly line.

Eventually I’m gonna have to tie in a loop so I’m not cutting all my sink tip off. I do like not having the loop to loop tho.
    Last edited by KenJongIll; 06-03-2020 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    I was just joking...about the IG thing, your prolificacy is unavoidable. Just don’t let it go to your head.

I think remember seeing your video on that tool that someone sent you. I’ll try and find it and see if I’m interested. I do need more stickers..so..

Btw, I just went with another nail knot in my living room. Shitty vision, and knot tying skilz and probably impatience cost me on the water.
    Looked at the Albright, but didn’t seem much easier, and looked like I would have to sacrifice more fly line.

Eventually I’m gonna have to tie in a loop so I’m not cutting all my sink tip off. I do like not having the loop to loop tho.
    I would highly recommend building yourself a loop. My go to is a loop in the fly line with 2 nail knots using 10 weight tippet, then some UV glue to protect everything. I have had 100 pound plus tarpon on that loop and it has held up nicely.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Huh.
    I tie a "permanent" butt section of Amnesia with a nail knot, (Albright for 8 wt and above), and then blood knot the leader to it. When the butt gets too short, I tie in a new one at my desk, (and I also glue it). I don't like loop to loop for a few reasons.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I went ahead and tied another nail knot. I probably lost less than a 1/2” of sink tip. I like not having a loop and keeping it as slim as possible.
    I’m hoping by the time I lose too much sink tip I might need a new line anyway.

Different subject.
    What’s everyone’s favorite floating line for dry flies now? I’ve got Wulff Triangle taper on now. Using with Scott 5wt radian. It’s been great, although seems to not come alive till quite a bit of line is out, and honestly most places I fish don’t need that much line out in most cases.
    The tip seems to be sinking some in certain circumstances, which can be annoying.
    I can keep using this for a while if I clean and dress it, but starting to think about the next line.

The Wulff is fantastic with 25+ ft of line out.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sounds like you fixed the issue but.....
    Years ago I was reading one of Lefty's books and I recall him saying he has never seen a properly spliced loop fail. I would go that avenue as a few others have suggested. After I break my GT lines I always splice a new loop on with Kevlar thread and a bit of cement. I seem to make them a bit longer than instructed but they have stood up to some 50+lb fish.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."