Thread: RIP Christo

RIP Christo

Controversial for sure. I'm guessing some here can't stand him and his work. I think he was a mad genius, and some of his stuff was amazing.

Rest in peace, hope you're now reunited with Jeanne-Claude.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

When I was much younger, I thought that his work was wack. But he did that thingy in Kalifornia during the nineties (the long, long sheets meandering over the grassy hills) and that changed my view. It was reall k00l in a serene sort of way. Became a fan following that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

+1 Viva.

I was most impressed when experiencing the Gates in Central Park that he brought a ton of people out in the winter with snow on the ground in Manhattan to share the thing. It was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    +1 Viva.
    Yeah, me too. My dad was really into his art and I thought it was silly and frivolous and not art.

But I stopped thinking that a long time ago, and some stuff like the running fence or the gates are just transcendent.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I learned a few weeks ago that the largest remaining piece of
    The Running Fence is kept in this small movie theater, which, incidently, is for sale...

http://www.riotheater.com/
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I liked him as long as I can remember. Was stoked to go through the gates. RIP Christo.

RIP Christo. Grew up in central CA and a remember driving down to see the umbrellas he installed over the grapevine when I was 10 or so. Thought it was interesting and kind of neat, but absolutely nobody ever did anything of this magnitude. Mad genius for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

they were installations and we are always better for having experianced art,

look at art and you are changed by it

if you don't understand it ... even better

tO the mouth breather who doesnt believe in art I say " think about how many fucking artists were invloved in getting that shitty bottle of bud light lime beer you got in yer hand on to the shelf ? "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I like his work, it was mind expanding. I have a small piece of his.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EB9E8292-FC3A-487C-8DF2-FB55A9D669DB.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	479.3 KB 
ID:	330280

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I like his work, it was mind expanding. I have a small piece of his.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EB9E8292-FC3A-487C-8DF2-FB55A9D669DB.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	479.3 KB 
ID:	330280
    Some 40 years ago, my dad sent a painting off to be reframed. When it came back from the framers, it was wrapped in brown paper and twine. My dad hung it on the wall like that for a year or two, joked that it was his Christo.

its art as long as somebody got paid
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

left a fair amount of infrastructure lying around in Rifle Falls canyon. I was pleased the Arkansas project fell thru.

Easy to get "lost "on this site for a few hours:

https://christojeanneclaude.net/mobile/
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    left a fair amount of infrastructure lying around in Rifle Falls canyon. I was pleased the Arkansas project fell thru.
    I have heard that but not seen it; in any case that's disappointing. But it was constructed in a far different era, and I have not read of similar issues with any of the more recent projects. Through the NEPA process and given the commitments he made, I believe the Ark project would have left a cleaner stretch of river than when they started. But we'll never know. Personally, I think you would have floated under the fabric and realized how amazing it was. But again, we'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post

XXX-er already addressed people like you upthread.

RIP Christo

He was a frequent recurring character in my cast of artists that I liked to rip on a little bit with imitations about where they got their inspiration and what constitutes art. His stuff was wild and imaginative af, never saw anything in person but some photos are amazing. When a country mouse like me knows an artist by name, you’re pretty famous. The work, Loved or hated, has created opinions and made impressions, which I think was the goal. RIP dude.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!