Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Enjoyable things during COVID social isolation

We have a general COVID threat and a COVID bitching thread, but how about the positive things that have helped you get through stress and lockdowns? Or enjoyable things that you wouldn't have done had life not gotten reorganized? What are people's tricks and tips for surviving social isolation?

For us:
    I have a four year old and we've been watching this live streamed African safari a couple of times a week. It's on WildEarth's Youtube channel everyday at 9-12 in the morning Eastern (and Midnight-3 Eastern, but we're not up for that). It's basically a couple of different naturalists riding around a private game reserver near Kruger National Park in South Africa looking for interesting animals. They cut between them based on who's finding interesting stuff. It must be succeeding as they now have a couple of guys in different parks on the feed too. People can send in questions for the guides to answer. I've always liked nature docs, but somehow I find this even more interesting as you don't know what you're going to get. I would never watch a documentary where the guide spends 15 minutes trying to see a leopard in a bush and hoping it comes out, but I'll watch it live. My son really likes it, but I admit that it's partially for me as I find it soothing somehow.

We've also been kayaking a lot. Since we don't really drive many places anymore, so we've just left the boats on the roof and that's led to us going more often (just basic flatwater paddling). It's easy to social distance on a lake/river, so that's been fun. We'd probably have gone a few times anyway by this time of the year, but we've been going a couple times a week to some places we hadn't explored before.

So what have you enjoyed about quarantine/social isolation?

Furious masterbation

But that only lasted five days. Too much chafing.

Now it’s mostly stirring shit pots on the inter webs.
    . . .

I hope the old normal never comes back. I generally find things to be much more pleasant nowadays than they were before. Seriously.

I dislike most human interactions, hate running errands regularly, prefer working from home and loathe having another human being within six feet of me for damn near any reason, so it's been blissful.

I only took the opportunity to menacingly growl "keep your distance, you little shit" to kids who got too close to me a couple times, but I did enjoy each one of them.

Shop online on couch/Curbside pickup > Going into store/Standing in line

Slower pace of life, focusing on running more, more time seeing what our 8 year old is actually learning (blew us away), less traffic everywhere (but more assholes driving).

Without school here, road biking is awesome in late Spring. No school rush hour at 2:30 pm. It's usually dangerous and quite irritating.

Bill Burr has helped me see the light that beach people are stupid, so, I don't miss that. But, I burn like garlic, too.

https://billburr.com/monday-morning-podcast-5-25-20/

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Bill Burr has helped me see the light that beach people are stupid, so, I don't miss that. But, I burn like garlic, too.

https://billburr.com/monday-morning-podcast-5-25-20/
    Fucking hilarious.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

definitely, commuting is sooooo much easier with out the school bus.

I get 1 hour and 45 minutes more free time without my 60 mile round trip commute. Get to sleep in an extra hour every morning and stay up an hour later. Save $10 in gas a day and $11 parking a day. I get almost 2 extra hours with my daughter in the morning before I take her to pre-school. My yard and garden look great, I eat more home cooked meals. Don’t have to shake hands with people and get to not be in crowds. I don’t have to find things to do with the family because there is nowhere to go.

Life is pretty dam good.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    We have a general COVID threat and a COVID bitching thread, but how about the positive things that have helped you get through stress and lockdowns? Or enjoyable things that you wouldn't have done had life not gotten reorganized? What are people's tricks and tips for surviving social isolation?

For us:
    I have a four year old and we've been watching this live streamed African safari a couple of times a week. It's on WildEarth's Youtube channel everyday at 9-12 in the morning Eastern (and Midnight-3 Eastern, but we're not up for that). It's basically a couple of different naturalists riding around a private game reserver near Kruger National Park in South Africa looking for interesting animals. They cut between them based on who's finding interesting stuff. It must be succeeding as they now have a couple of guys in different parks on the feed too. People can send in questions for the guides to answer. I've always liked nature docs, but somehow I find this even more interesting as you don't know what you're going to get. I would never watch a documentary where the guide spends 15 minutes trying to see a leopard in a bush and hoping it comes out, but I'll watch it live. My son really likes it, but I admit that it's partially for me as I find it soothing somehow.

We've also been kayaking a lot. Since we don't really drive many places anymore, so we've just left the boats on the roof and that's led to us going more often (just basic flatwater paddling). It's easy to social distance on a lake/river, so that's been fun. We'd probably have gone a few times anyway by this time of the year, but we've been going a couple times a week to some places we hadn't explored before.

So what have you enjoyed about quarantine/social isolation?
    Have you checked out Steve Hartman's Kindness 101 for kids?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Business is great (mine rocks when the economy burns down) work from home, wife is retired, long walks along the beach with the dogs and no one else was around (now the fuckers are back) great fucking meals (gourmet cook daughter living with us) and I am fat and happy for the first time in years. All things considered, a pretty good year for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Retired from my job two weeks ago. Loving life. Hiking all over Big Sky with my yoga mat strapped to my daypack. My GF was already retired so this is really all coming together.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I hope the old normal never comes back. I generally find things to be much more pleasant nowadays than they were before. Seriously.
    If it weren't for the fact that lots of friends and people in general are out of work right now I'd be all lover it staying like this. It's been awesome with no or minimal rush hour traffic. I've been able to do stuff after work that I normally can't due to traffic.

Having trail head parking closed has also been nice. Keeps the hikers away but as a biker I can easily ride in.

It's also just been a nice change in routine. I was getting burned out before all this happened. This has changed a lot of things and having to adapt has been refreshing.

My kids (16 and 19) are getting along better than any time in the last 10 years. The older one was away at college but came home in mid-March. With no one else around to hang out with he had to stop being the asshole older brother and actually learn to get along with his little sister.

I was also driving 500+ miles a week before this happened (commute, work trips) and now that's more like 10. Nice to be spending time with my family rather than sitting in the car though my podcast listening has suffered.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Retired from my job two weeks ago. Loving life. Hiking all over Big Sky with my yoga mat strapped to my daypack. My GF was already retired so this is really all coming together.

woah
    everyday is wanker weds?
    can I expect a full fly box?

your gf is cool
    im glad its all coming togather 4 you
    go fish for me today
    I hate nofunays
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Enjoyable things during COVID social isolation

Mid March I had 105 days of lift served.
    I usually only ski 2-3 hours, 20-30k a day. My knee was killing me and I was scheduled for a TKR at Steadman in May.
    After 50 days of skinning 2-3000k, my knee doesn’t hurt and I’m in better shape. I’m putting off the TKR at least another year.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Have you checked out Steve Hartman's Kindness 101 for kids?
    We haven't. We'll have to check it out.

Umm, skiing at the virtually empty resort. Watching the birds and animals in the yard. Laying low with Netflix and craft beer.

Still skiing on Saturday with a few Mags, time to start bike riding regularly soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Attach0.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	534.9 KB 
ID:	330293
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Name:  9A88AC71-B4C0-443F-B0B7-665DD8F284FB.jpeg
Views: 633
Size:  44.0 KB

Virtually skiing, I like it.

One of my hopes is people will learn to be moar self sufficient and help one another.

I also hope tgr posters will learn to not be such douche bags...
    watch out for snakes

Fuck off scotty, you fucking cunt.
    crab in my shoe mouth

More time with my parents as their years wind down

Bike commuting on empty streets was such a great addition to my day, in great spring weather but now it's kinda busy again and getting hot.

I'm learning how to cook, I have no idea why I started but I like it. Why didn't anyone tell me the basics were so damn easy? I couldn't even fry an egg correctly before this.

Ladies are flooding the dating apps with lots of pent up demand. It's great.