Page 263 of 263 FirstFirst ... 258 259 260 261 262 263
Results 6,551 to 6,560 of 6560
    My knowledge is Washington State, so can't comment on Brady list issues in Trump states. But if a prosecutor fails to properly disclose a Brady cop, that can get the conviction overturned. So pretty big incentive to not screw it up.

And Frazier v Cupp doesn't deal with police lying about some impropriety, it has to do with police ability to trick suspect into confessing. Classic scenario is telling one guy his buddy confessed (not true) to get the first guy to confess.

Here's another good police trickery case where cops got suspect's DNA from envelope by claiming he was a member of a bogus class action settlement.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...from-envelope/

Note dissenting opinion in DNA case came from Justice Chambers, who was known as Washington's strongest judicial supporters of civil rights and privacy issues. Voters here got rid of him because he said black people have a crime problem.

Good article today in Seattle Times about a homeless man who just died and all the efforts and resources that went into trying to "reform" him. Its not that the criminal justice system isn't trying. But this is a problem that spans all aspects of society.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-travis-berge/

That's a solid example. Another like it that's a bit more likely for the average citizen:

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-9th-circuit/1730709.html

There are probably hundreds of thousands if not millions of examples where police use deception as a normal tool in their kit and courts consistently say that's fine. So "getting caught" isn't really a thing for them.

A list of all the people who make a mistake and forget who they're supposed to lie to and who they're not is shockingly simplistic. I'm not sure who seems the most naïve--I'd like to say the judge(s) who came up with the idea, but I'm too cynical to really believe that. SCOTUS sees the judicial system as an unacceptable encumberance for police, but the rest of us are supposed to be glad we have the right to spend years or decades fighting for a chance at justice if we're wrongfully accused.

Well, well worth a listen - all the way to the end. (Sorry if it’s already posted)

Southern storytellers are the best with their words.
    I still call it The Jake.

Saw that. Great vid, and the kind of voices we need to maybe get through to some of our populace.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Well, well worth a listen - all the way to the end. (Sorry if it’s already posted)

God damn. Love his music n didn't expect to hear that msg but, indeed, I hope it sinks in a little. Thanks for posting it.

Wow. The empathy deficit is really the root of the problem, as he so eloquently states.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I bet these white boys think they are patriots

https://www.9news.com/mobile/article...4-ff187b619d33

How many of those guys did you think are cops or military?
    Last edited by simple; Today at 11:18 AM.

Damn. I wonder how that's being received.