Page 31 of 132 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I agree with what folks are saying about ncskier's speculation (though I also agree that context matters, generally speaking).

I would also point out that most of us are in echo chambers, and someone like ncskier is clearly not in my echo chamber, but he is listening and asking respectful questions, and should be treated as such. While some of what he posited was problematic, I think he should be respectfully shown why it was problematic (as some here have done), and not berated for it. He has presented himself as someone seeking to learn and understand, he has put himself out there knowing that he might get a lot of shit, and we do everyone a disservice when he gets shouted down for posting something that you think is dumb or racist or mean spirited.

Tensions are really high right now, I get it, but we have to try to find common ground and peace if anything positive is going to come of all this mayhem.

Just my opinion.
    Thank you l Missed this earlier. I tried to engage in dialogue and have been beaten down as expected. But I have learned from this thread

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    You're right it is all about context. Specifically, the requirement white people have to need the "context" behind black people living their every day lives. The whole problem is that, for their entire existence in this country, black people have been required by this society to give "context" for their existence. They are required to give "context" for moving through a store, or driving to a friends house, or in this case eloquently and peaceably addressing a protest. The whole problem is that a white man standing in front of a church doesn't need context to be there even though many suffered for that moment while a black kid does to kneel on some grass and talk of love and unity.
    FKNA, Lego. Thanks for that. Here's some context....

Late to the game, see it was already posted by TG. Won't delete. Too pertinent/

Snopes says the pic of the regular-color führer is doctored...

Is sepia or orange more of a regular color?

There appears to be a small lenticular cloud hovering just over Dump's head.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    No no I was just trying to be clear, I'm not mad at all. He's hired me to interpret for him, and he's working me hard here.
    Ok, I laffed, but part of the drift here is what the murderer of Arbery thought: here's a black guy running around who >>might<< be a criminal.

Out of context and time, I probably wouldn't have bothered, but given the context, the disvisions, racial and political, can I just say that such speculation is in bad taste, inappropriate and possibly fits into the line of racial "reasoning" that killed Arbery.

Not trying to be a dick, I'd still ski with NC and share shit, but I'd hope that I can also try to convey what I think.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hitler-holding-bible/
    Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Thank you l Missed this earlier. I tried to engage in dialogue and have been beaten down as expected. But I have learned from this thread
    Not trying to beat you down, OK?

ZZZ once castigated me for using the "N" word. I'm a little leery of limits on words, but given the dynamics, I shut up.

Ginger waffle feels a bit racist to me.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Ok, I laffed, but part of the drift here is what the murderer of Arbery thought: here's a black guy running around who >>might<< be a criminal.

Out of context and time, I probably wouldn't have bothered, but given the context, the disvisions, racial and political, can I just say that such speculation is in bad taste, inappropriate and possibly fits into the line of racial "reasoning" that killed Arbery.

Not trying to be a dick, I'd still ski with NC and share shit, but I'd hope that I can also try to convey what I think.
    I understand your position. And to reiterate I was never posting mad or trying to stir shit up for the sake of stirring shit up.
    I’m genuinely seeking opinions.

killin' it, Ice.

Damn, I figured some Nazi put Trump up to it to send a signal out to his SS troops in waiting.

Religious Leaders Say They Were Tear-Gassed For Trump’s Church Photo-Op

President Donald Trump on Monday reportedly used federal police to tear-gas Christian faith leaders, along with hundreds of peaceful protesters gathered to demand an end to police brutality against Black Americans.

Clergy were passing out water and snacks to protesters in front of St. John’s Church, Lafayette Square, an Episcopal parish in Washington, D.C., throughout the afternoon ― before law enforcement officials in riot gear reportedly fired tear gas and flash-bangs to disperse the crowd so that Trump could walk to the church for a photo-op. Lafayette Square is a park that lies directly north of the White House.

Rev. Gini Gerbasi, rector of a different St. John’s Episcopal Church in the city, told HuffPost that she and seminarian Julia Joyce Domenick were tear-gassed and driven off of church property by police.

“The irony, the sickening, sacrilegious irony is that we were being driven off in order for a photo opportunity to show the president and his commitment to religion ideas,” Gerbasi said. “It’s grotesque and offensive and sacrilegious.”

She said she was acting out her religious beliefs by serving protesters at the church and that her religious freedom was violated when she was forced off church property by tear gas...................................

Andrew Whitehead, a sociologist at Clemson University, told HuffPost that the president’s actions align perfectly with the goals of Christian nationalism, a phenomenon that he studies. Christian nationalism hinges on the narrative that the United States has a special covenant with the Christian God. This increasingly prominent ideology is most commonly found amongst Trump’s white evangelical supporters.

“Trump was signaling to Americans who embrace Christian nationalism that he will forcibly protect them and their vision for the United States,” Whitehead said. “Trump’s use of religious symbolism symbolically baptized his authoritarian speech.”

Those who embrace Christian nationalism won’t be concerned that the church Trump stood in front of doesn’t support his actions, Whitehead said. If anything, he said, they likely view the clergy and parishioners of that church as outside the faith because they don’t support Trump.

“In order to explain away that the clergy were tear-gassed, my guess is that they will appeal to how we are supposed to submit to authorities,” Whitehead said. “They will say that those clergy should have cleared out on their own accord.”

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    FFS. NCSkier offered an example of a speculative situation that would have changed the context. Given that video, any such hypothetical pretty much has to involve pedophilia and impossible police capabilities or it would change nothing. The larger point that we are living in a world of misinformation and spin and it's good to run things to ground whenever possible is valid. Maybe instead of applying the knee-jerk "he's from Narth Carlina!" conclusion it would help to think maybe he's sick of being lied to and starting to question everything. That's how people learn. Cornering them with identity politics is just more bigotry.
    Exactly.

His choice of examples while asking for more context could certainly have been more artfully chosen. But he was pretty clear that what was in the video was 100% terrible and unacceptable. He was just trying to recognize that we live in a knee jerk outrage culture, every day but especially the last week, and he was trying not to fall victim to that. Again, inartfully done, but we should all be a little easier on each other.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

re: KQ's post: Please sue please sue please sue

I was just trying to say the church lady should sue

I understand your position. And to reiterate I was never posting mad or trying to stir shit up for the sake of stirring shit up.
    I’m genuinely seeking opinions.
    I didn't think you were stirring shit, I believe you.
    I gave an opinion. Like an asshole, everyone has one.

I won't even say mines better,

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    . Again, inartfully done, but we should all be a little easier on each other.
    Hey Danno, fuck you!

;-)

Buster, is the homotrophy of spheres illegal?
    Buster's the geek Greek expert but I'm not sure sphere on sphere cannibalism is strictly kosher

#DeleteFacebookNow is trending...people sick of far right hate tactics and Trump bullshit ZuckFuck will do nothing about. Facebook employees quitting. Guess it's time for me to sign off that shit.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Dele...rc=trend_click

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Buster's the geek Greek expert but I'm not sure sphere on sphere cobordism is strictly kosher
    FIFY

re: KQ's post: Please sue please sue please sue
    Is sue on second?

I was just trying to say the church lady should sue
    Not you... I'm just prostrate with grief over the sad state of affairs and I really want to stop crying but can't.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Not you... I'm just prostrate with grief over the sad state of affairs and I really want to stop crying but can't.
    While you didn't ask for this, we all deserve it.
    I remember a bottomless freedom...

does anyone not read around here. All my posts said fuck the police. They were wrong 100%.
    That wasn't intended to slight you.

We all should be fighting against abuses of police power and militarization and this was another example of gross abuse of power.

Seems like it could be one thing everybody agrees on.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    #DeleteFacebookNow is trending...people sick of far right hate tactics and Trump bullshit ZuckFuck will do nothing about. Facebook employees quitting. Guess it's time for me to sign off that shit.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Dele...rc=trend_click
    I wish.

Not a chance though.

It’s an addiction.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums