Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by yogachik View Post
    It's like all your grandfathers grew up in Mayberry.
    Actually about 30 miles SE in Flat Shoals NC.

He couldn’t fight his way out of a paper bag.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I like finding out where old sayings originated, especially when they derive from some long vanished technology. I was thinking about "living high off the hog" the other day--the best, most expensive cuts of pork are the highest on the animal. "The cat's out of the bag" refers to the cat o nine tails and the bag it was kept in. Nautical speed measured in knots derives from the knots on the rope used to measure speed. "Keep your powder dry"--that's obvious. These are pretty obvious. there are some real obscure ones I wish I could think of but it's late. Roy Underhill on The Woodright's Shop was always coming up with sayings that derived from woodworking.

There's a whole book of this stuff. https://www.amazon.com/Stories-Behin.../dp/1555210104 I think there's a copy somewhere around the house.
    One that I say fairly often, but I usually have to explain is “you’ll be in tall cotton” meaning things will be good for you. Originating from needing to shit while you’re working in the field, but the cotton plants are high enough so you’ll have some privacy.

Is that cultural misappropriation?

hm, I always thought it was because tall cotton meant you could stand up straight while harvesting it while "short" (or "low" or whatever the correct term for it is) cotton meant you had to stoop or crouch all day, which was much harder work.

edit: wikipedia says tall cotton means the crop was good so the farmer/plantation owner would make good money.

I like Skipper's explanation, whether it's right or wrong.

I guess there’s more than one reason that tall cotton is good.

Well there weren't any portapotties in the cotton fields, so...

But plenty of stuff to wipe with..

Never thot of the poo facotr cuz it seemed obvious to me that if yer walkin in tall cotton it was a good crop, but how would you work tits into the discussion ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Maybe the different POVs on the utility of tall cotton has to do with whether you’re working in the field or you own the crop.

I like finding out where old sayings originated, especially when they derive from some long vanished technology. I was thinking about "living high off the hog" the other day--the best, most expensive cuts of pork are the highest on the animal. "The cat's out of the bag" refers to the cat o nine tails and the bag it was kept in. Nautical speed measured in knots derives from the knots on the rope used to measure speed. "Keep your powder dry"--that's obvious. These are pretty obvious. there are some real obscure ones I wish I could think of but it's late. Roy Underhill on The Woodright's Shop was always coming up with sayings that derived from woodworking.

There's a whole book of this stuff. https://www.amazon.com/Stories-Behin.../dp/1555210104 I think there's a copy somewhere around the house.
    Charles Earle Funk wrote a number of seminal texts on the origins of phrases...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Earle_Funk
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

do deez nuts - crusty old guy

Mabel, that’s what marijuana smells like.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Wife just reminded me of a phone convo with my dad when he was 86.
    Me: hey, what’s new?
    Dad: Not much. Threw Gary (his girlfriend’s son) out yesterday.
    Me: wait what? You mean like physically tossed him out?
    Dad: Yup. He was mouthing off and I told him to shut up. He said ‘make me’. So I opened the front door and tossed him. Think I broke his glasses. Ya know, if you get one hand on their belt and one on their collar, they’ll go pretty much wherever you want.

Miss ya dad...

Ha, you told that one before, still funny.

Ya, that's a classic.

Nice. Accusing TBS of being a forgetful, senile geezer are ya?
    But yeah, classic.

Nah just proving I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    If it floats, flies, or fucks... rent it.
    Perfect.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

"Balls out"

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

"Don't race your motor"

Big-ass thunderstorm here right now, which reminded me of things I (an old guy) say about heavy rains. “It’s a frog choker” and “a real turd floater.”

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    “a real turd floater.”
    dam, i remember hearing this.

From an older Aussie guy from northern Queensland my girl worked with in Sydney- their boss asked him to take on another task, apparently was getting overwhelmed. "Fucks sake mate i'm already up to me neck in crocodiles!"

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Big-ass thunderstorm here right now, which reminded me of things I (an old guy) say about heavy rains. “It’s a frog choker” and “a real turd floater.”
    Raining like a cow pissin’ on a flat rock