Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Is this the Age of The Asshole?

In all the ages, bronze, gilded, psychedelic, punk, industrialization, there have been assholes.

Yes and Spaceballs.

It just seems like assholes have really come to the fore. It's their age now, their man is in the white house, they get lots of attention in the news and social media. Lying is in fashion. Misconstruing reality, being clumsy and rude as if it's clever or novel.

As if McLuhan was wrong and the asshole is the message.

And the fawning legions of smarmy, unctuous, oleaginous wanna be assholes. The lemmings, the cloying fakes, the unimaginative dupes. How else will they have their day?

So, as we get sucked down the drain of history, rest assured that this, like flappers, like zoot suits, like bulbous to fins, slacks to bell bottoms, the wide ties and broad lapelled leisure suits, will all pass from favor.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Meh. We’ve always had assholes.
    But now they have a stage. Social media rewards and promotes the sociopath.
    . . .

jgb@etree Guest
    Can an idea this brilliant be patented? Seeking advice for a friend who believes he has revolutionized a concept, even though experts in the particular field think he is a moron. Perhaps you have experience in this area that you'd be willing to share for the benefit of others?

Bunny has been an innovator at the forefront of the Asshole era.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Can an idea this brilliant be patented? Seeking advice for a friend who believes he has revolutionized a concept, even though experts in the particular field think he is a moron. Perhaps you have experience in this area that you'd be willing to share for the benefit of others?
    What idea are you referring to? Put another way, how is your comment relevant and does it make any sense at all? To you, I mean?

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    What idea are you referring to? Put another way, how is your comment relevant and does it make any sense at all? To you, I mean?
    The OP will understand, but please accept my apology - I forgot that you need to be on the inside of everything that goes on here.

50k or bust!

(You can search the thread OP started about patent advice if you're interested, assuming he hasn't deleted it out of embarrassment already)

When was the Age of Aquarius?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Jgb just couldn't resist proving the OP's hypothesis right.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    the occupant of the whitehouse has no real meaning to me
    I attempt to live the same life reguardless of whose running that shit show
    but I have as strong of an asshole side of me that's almost as strong as the carefree giving side
    if you fuck with my wife dog friends or things that hold meaning to me
    well some assholes gonna attempt to hand you yours
    and the meek aint gonna inherent shit
    and the world needs danny ditch digging elbows and assholes too.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I'm and old guy. To give you perspective my grandfather used to tell me stories about picking up my grandmother for dates in a horse and buggy. When I was a kid and I'd get mad at somebody for doing something stupid he'd tell me, "A huge percentage of people in the world are assholes, don't take it personally and don't let it get you down." I think the A-hole problem has been with us for quite some time.
    Gravity Junkie

Maybe you're just Amish and nobody told you.

I'd almost argue it's the age of complexity, as you have the people with expertise and understanding clashing with those who are it, throw up their hands at trying to understand it then whine and get angry as they're left behind.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    and you amish assholes should clean the shit up off the streets your mode of transportations assholes drop
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Maybe this asshole age explains the TP shortage.

I blame the lawyers...and facebook.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

How about twitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    When was the Age of Aquarius?
    I think it started when the moon was in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligned with Mars.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    How about twitter?
    Yes.

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tic Tok...and whatever else my kids are using that I don't know about are all Facebook to me.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I think that it is the world has gotten so complex for some people that they would rather believe in conspiracy theories, and alternative realities than face reality. This makes them try exceedingly harder and harder to justify these beliefs which are constantly reaffirmed by those in power who take advantage of the opportunity to rally these people to fall in line behind them and keep them in power. It is very similar to religion actually, where a book of fables is take literally, and used in whatever context is needed to justify the actions of those who desire to manipulate the minds of the masses. These people, who were already raised on religion in many cases, will blindly follow these leaders into battle no matter what they say or do. Being an asshole is now completely justified by their commander in chief and his ever revolving team of surrogates.

Then, as mentioned above, all of this is increasing in speed and reach due to social media. Strangely enough, increased speed of communication which has been evolving and benefitted us in so many ways in the last few centuries, could be the downfall of the human race.

...more like Age of the Knowitalls

Anone see this yet ?
    https://www.assholesatheory.com/
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Meh. We’ve always had assholes.
    But now they have a stage. Social media rewards and promotes the sociopath.
    yep yep

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    and you amish assholes should clean the shit up off the streets your mode of transportations assholes drop
    i bet most of the english assholes [oh wait, that's ironic] can roll some coal and plow through any horse apples on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I think that it is the world has gotten so complex for some people that they would rather believe in conspiracy theories, and alternative realities than face reality. This makes them try exceedingly harder and harder to justify these beliefs which are constantly reaffirmed by those in power who take advantage of the opportunity to rally these people to fall in line behind them and keep them in power. It is very similar to religion actually, where a book of fables is take literally, and used in whatever context is needed to justify the actions of those who desire to manipulate the minds of the masses. These people, who were already raised on religion in many cases, will blindly follow these leaders into battle no matter what they say or do. Being an asshole is now completely justified by their commander in chief and his ever revolving team of surrogates.Then, as mentioned above, all of this is increasing in speed and reach due to social media. Strangely enough, increased speed of communication which has been evolving and benefitted us in so many ways in the last few centuries, could be the downfall of the human race.
    I think OP might be referring to the dirty trickster mentality of 4chan, 8chan types that just want to provoke chaos for the pure sense of power in doing it. It's entertainment for a disconnected & disenfranchised online group. It's bled into popular culture with the "just burn it down" mentality, under a pretense of caring, but with a lack of integrity to spend the time to understand the full meaning of what that implies.

People are disengaged via social media & online interaction and use that distance to just point a middle finger at anything they wish with no repercussions because they can. There's zero personal investment or personal engagement in the issues they poke at.

we have examples on trg...the only point being getting the irritated responses & taunting cuz they're bored

Only the gullible and insecure are provoked by assholes. As an asshole myself, I find it astounding how little can provoke some of you into fits of rage and have you grasping at each other's throats over the internet.

"Persuade, Change, Influence" --Army psyops motto
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang