Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What's my old but barely used tandem worth?

Mrs C is never gonna ride this thing with me, so it's just taking up space.

I picked up from a neighbor a couple of years ago a circa 1997 Burley Samba tandem, which had less than 100 miles on it. I cleaned it thoroughly, repacked all the bearings that weren't cartridge, replaced the tires, and it just sits here. Figured I should put it on Craigslist and get it out of here. What's this worth?

Frame and fork are True Temper steel, frame has a Softride suspension beam for the stoker. Drivetrain is 3x7 Sachs and STX RC derailleurs, drop bars for captain with Shimano bar end shifters. Brakes are RX100 road levers with Alivio cantilevers, rear hub and frame are set up for a drag brake but there isn't one installed. Wheels are 40-spoke 26" with street tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Photo:

if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

the bigger question might be now much is your marriage worth ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

at my shop I always called them 'divorcycles'.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    at my shop I always called them 'divorcycles'.
    Lol. Never heard that. But like it.

I can’t imagine wanting to own one. Cringe every time I see one in use.
    . . .

My favorite tandem relationship quote is "Wherever your relationship is headed, a tandem will get you there faster." True for bikes and kayaks. The Mrs and I pedal and paddle solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Lol. Never heard that. But like it.

I can’t imagine wanting to own one. Cringe every time I see one in use.
    Yup. My in-laws had a Santana that they rode across Arizona on. They quit the sport and it ended up in our garage. I think we rode it twice. It still hangs from the ceiling, a reminder of delusions gone by. It took very little time before I realized just how terrible they are for your emotional view of your co-rider,

I had a single friend that owned a tandem mountain bike. He and his girlfriend used to ride it around a pretty decent amount, often on technical trails. She wasn't a great biker, she just sat int he back and stoked, often with her eyes closed.

The riding, and the relationship, ended not long after they endo-d. On a tandem. On a mtn bike trail. I still regret that I wasn't there to see that. That takes some force.

I didn't think you could endo a tandem.

So, what should I try to sell this for on Craigslist?

$37

Good wedding gift for a couple you don't think will make it! Seems super generous, but instead accelerates the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    My favorite tandem relationship quote is "Wherever your relationship is headed, a tandem will get you there faster." True for bikes and kayaks. The Mrs and I pedal and paddle solo.
    so from what I've seen once you own a tandem kayak they are almost impossible to sell and you can't paddle them alone, i have paddled a couple trips in my buddies Seaward but we are the same age , > 60 yrs of combined paddling experiance, drinking the same booze smoking the same dope it works for him and his GF

what is the market like for a used tandem ?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    $37
    Are you trying to get divorced?

I would so totally buy that bike if we were nearby.
    The 40h wheelset alone is dope.
    That thing, besides looking like a pretty nice 2x, would be a tremendous base for a tall bike or a cargo bike.

Tandems are so rare that they actually hold value decently. I had a late 90s Cannondale tandem that I sold about 5yrs ago for $1k, maybe $1200. Perfect shape, just didn't for me or get used much.

2-3yrs after I sold it, I bought a Salsa Powderkeg. Fun to ride together, I wish Mrs Griz enjoyed it more.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I had the same Burly with a tandem Adams Trail-a-bike behind.
    We looked like the Keystone Cops.

I sold mine to a friend that really uses it, for $500. But I bet, right now, you could get a lot more on CL. $1500?

Last summer, through our local forum, I bought this for I think 2-300 bucks:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2645.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	330054

I knew it wouldn’t fit us, but I figured I could make it work for farting around the neighborhood. It needs a lot of stuff, (like a new fork with an uncut steerer tube so I can mount the stem up high so it would kind of fit me).
    Wanna trade?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Too bad it's pre disc brakes. Those things have made tandems a lot nicer to ride downhill.

Saw a Litespeed titanium tandem frame on a wall in a bike shop way back. That thing was pretty.

Buddy of mine had one and rode mostly with his wife to equalize the riding experience, and it worked. She didn't complain much in general, though. A few times a mutual friend would get on the back and they'd go out for a ride. Dude was about six inches shorter than my buddy, the lead rider, and both were really strong bikers. They would just scream on that thing.

What's my old but barely used tandem worth?

Yeah, it does have disc brake tabs, but I was just hoping to spend maybe a couple hundred bucks to get it to where we could fart around on it, so I don’t want to commit to new wheels, brakes, etc.

The first step is the 26” uncut steerer fork, which is basically 100 bucks from China. But I don’t wanna die.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I had the same Burly with a tandem Adams Trail-a-bike behind.
    We looked like the Keystone Cops.

I sold mine to a friend that really uses it, for $500. But I bet, right now, you could get a lot more on CL. $1500?
    I'd be pretty happy to get $500. Wonder if I really could push that more on Craigslist...

Now, if it were a tandem e-bike with disc brakes, I could see that being fun with wifey.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Chup, where are you? Obviously shipping will be ridiculous but if you're anywhere near Reno I might be interested. What size is the bike?

Sent from my LG-US998 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Chup, where are you? Obviously shipping will be ridiculous but if you're anywhere near Reno I might be interested. What size is the bike?

Sent from my LG-US998 using TGR Forums mobile app
    I'm on Mt Rose highway, so howdy neighbor!

I'm not sure on the size. I measured the captain at 18.5" center to top, not sure how to measure the stoker with the Softride beam being what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Yeah, it does have disc brake tabs, but I was just hoping to spend maybe a couple hundred bucks to get it to where we could fart around on it, so I don’t want to commit to new wheels, brakes, etc.

The first step is the 26” uncut steerer fork, which is basically 100 bucks from China. But I don’t wanna die.
    Maybe if you were touring with a big load or extremely fat more brake power would be in order but there is quite a lot of power from a V brake,

I would try it as is and see if you can at least ( lets get it out of the way ) make it crack n fail

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I'm on Mt Rose highway, so howdy neighbor!
    Since Chup's wife won't, you guys can ride it together

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Since Chup's wife won't, you guys can ride it together
    Ace and Gary rock the tandem rockhopper!
    . . .