All-carbon layup for flatwater touring kayak?

Hey folks,

I'm looking at getting back into mellow lake kayaking after several years away.

There's a boat at a nearby dealer that specs out similarly to my old boat, but it's all-carbon which I have no experience with (I have read that carbon is brittle and can get dinged easily). It's a decent price and supply in the area is pretty limited, so I am considering it.

My Q: is all-carbon a bad idea for my use case?

Thanks.
    Last edited by ntblanks; 05-28-2020 at 09:11 AM.

You should be fine with it, CF is way more expensive of course.

Even if you do damage it is fixable.
    Last edited by SB; 05-28-2020 at 12:58 PM.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    You should be fine with it, CF is way more expensive of course.

Even if you do damage it it is fixable.
    I appreciate the info. Yeah - if there was a fiberglass or, even better, kevlar+whatever version available I would buy that for cost savings but also added durability. Not trying to be that guy with the stupidly expensive gear. It's still under $2k for a legit, brand new kayak so not outlandish (according to my quick scan of the current local new & used market).

Cheers.

Figure you could certainly get by with cheaper and heavier craft. Light weight boats are fun but they also can get pushed around, much like light weight skis.
    watch out for snakes

Figure you could certainly get by with cheaper and heavier craft. Light weight boats are fun but they also can get pushed around, much like light weight skis.
    Excellent points.

I'm not a "big water" guy, so that may not be a huge factor, aside from unexpectedly windy days. Mostly I target flat rivers & non-huge lakes. But definitely something to factor in.

And - yeah - I have no special desire to pay more than necessary I am looking to upgrade from rotomolded plastic, though.

Thanks.

If it is within the budget you might really like it. Store it out of the sun and weather. Maybe even get some contoured roof rack pads for it if you will be car topping it.

Most CF layups have at least a layer or two of fiberglass on the outside to enhance durability.

Post up pics if you get it.
    watch out for snakes

If it is within the budget you might really like it. Store it out of the sun and weather. Maybe even get some contoured roof rack pads for it if you will be car topping it.

Most CF layups have at least a layer or two of fiberglass on the outside to enhance durability.

Post up pics if you get it.
    Thank for the tips. Will certainly post pics, whatever I get.

Funny you mention the added fiberglass. I'm not sure this model has it, but I was thinking of talking to one of those shops that sprays rugged paint (urethane?) for truck beds. Some offer a version that's smooth for industrial applications and, if the weight isn't problematic, I may consider this as a "hardening" option for the hull/bottom of the kayak. Wonder if anyone has ever tried that.

A friend got an all-carbon kayak years ago and his greatest concern was it getting blown off land and onto water where it quickly go miles.

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    Thank for the tips. Will certainly post pics, whatever I get.

Funny you mention the added fiberglass. I'm not sure this model has it, but I was thinking of talking to one of those shops that sprays rugged paint (urethane?) for truck beds. Some offer a version that's smooth for industrial applications and, if the weight isn't problematic, I may consider this as a "hardening" option for the hull/bottom of the kayak. Wonder if anyone has ever tried that.
    Better to add thin layer of epoxy. At least you'll know it will bond. And if ease of glide and finishing is of any importance to you, you'll want to add the layer at ding points on the inside of the hull, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    A friend got an all-carbon kayak years ago and his greatest concern was it getting blown off land and onto water where it quickly go miles.

Better to add thin layer of epoxy. At least you'll know it will bond. And if ease of glide and finishing is of any importance to you, you'll want to add the layer at ding points on the inside of the hull, if possible.
    Woosh! That would suck! I could just see it: no no no nononononono!!!!! (sprint into the water...)

Thanks. Yeah - I'm not keen on adding a coat to the outside unless it's as slick as the factory finish. I am pretty ignorant on all this, so it's just a crazy (and possibly very bad) idea for now. But sometimes crazy ideas turn out to be good ones

Yeah, you do not want to add anything to the boat unless you are repairing some damage.

I have done rehab of hulls of white water boats many times and unless you have laminate construction experience I would do nothing to the hull except maybe wax it.

And do not let your boat blow away or fall off the racks on your car while going 65mph.

I thought you tied them on?
    watch out for snakes

most of the damage to any composite hardshell canoe/ kayak/ SUP happens when it falls off the car

my buddy just called me with that " kayak fell off the truck who can fix it " question so don't let anybody else tie it on or you will be posting in the " I love my wife but JHC " thread

For fuck sake don't add anything to the hull of a CF or Kevlar boat cuz that is just sacrilege/wrong on so many levels and completly defeats the idea of buying CF or kevlar,

if yer gona be that anal about planning for damage that may never happen just buy a plastic boat, I've dropped lots of plastic WW boats off of trucks at speed if they don't hit anyone its good for a laugh

always tie a boat to something on shore
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    most of the damage to any composite hardshell canoe/ kayak/ SUP happens when it falls off the car

my buddy just called me with that " kayak fell off the truck who can fix it " question so don't let anybody else tie it on or you will be posting in the " I love my wife but JHC " thread
    Oh sh*t! Definitely never happening with my boat. Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    For fuck sake don't add anything to the hull of a CF or Kevlar boat cuz that is just sacrilege/wrong on so many levels and completly defeats the idea of buying CF or kevlar,
    Yeah, I see how it could be a terrible idea in practice.

Thank you, sir.

Thanks to the folks who replied with thoughts and suggestions.

I went ahead and bought it.

Yeah, you do not want to add anything to the boat unless you are repairing some damage.

I have done rehab of hulls of white water boats many times and unless you have laminate construction experience I would do nothing to the hull except maybe wax it.

And do not let your boat blow away or fall off the racks on your car while going 65mph.

I thought you tied them on?
    Thank you!