Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

‘20-‘21 backcountry prediction

Jerry headed in.
    https://www.powder.com/stories/how-c...ountry-skiing/

Among the many unknowns the current pandemic presents to backcountry skiing is whether social distancing will deter from education, or if its financial impacts will prevent novices from making the necessary purchases.

Another curve to flatten

My buddy used to ski with a women that used to post here. She summed it up best. They pulled into the parking lot and there were some skiers there. She looked them over and stated: They are not a threat.
    off your knees Louie

At least with BC skiing, as opposed to sidecountry, a certain level of fitness and skill is required to get into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    At least with BC skiing, as opposed to sidecountry, a certain level of fitness and skill is required to get into trouble.
    That level is extremely low in CO...

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app

Lets start the unfounded fear a 6 months early. Maybe prompt a bunch of baseless preemptive BC closures!! Speculation is a solid basis for action.

Good job Powder.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    The pow shark got jumped long ago
    The unprepared will be
    I'd sure like to recert my woofer
    Haven't heard back from nols
    Regarding rescheduling of canceled classes
    Well cept to ask me to donate to a fund
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Didn't it already happen this spring?

I can teach an avalanche class safely in covid times
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I can teach an avalanche class safely in covid times
    How's that? Spaced out in classroom, then small groups in the field? We are debating just canceling ours for the winter, not worth the hassle. (yostmark in driggs)

aside from trains of folks skinning collins gulch when alta allowed uphill (which happens anytime alta allows uphill, I suspect there are folks who own skins and only skin collins gulch) I haven't seen any big difference post-COVID resort closures here. like any other endurance sport it is becoming more popular among members of certain generally affluent demographic, and like any other endurance sport most people who try it will fucking hate it.

My backcountry prediction for next winter? There will still be hills, upon which snow will fall. Those with the motivation, desire and wherewithal will walk up those hills and experience great joy sliding down them. Those without will bitch and moan instead.

my prediction is pain
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    How's that? Spaced out in classroom, then small groups in the field? We are debating just canceling ours for the winter, not worth the hassle. (yostmark in driggs)
    we should chat
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Should closure reoccur I’d like the societal pressure to allow uphill travel at closed resorts. FFS some of these places had uphill travel allowed before they closed

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    My buddy used to ski with a women that used to post here. She summed it up best. They pulled into the parking lot and there were some skiers there. She looked them over and stated: They are not a threat.
    Pretty much. I find it best to befriend the beginners, spread a little knowledge and stoke. Then send em to the beginners area.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

A pair of loons will adopt an orphan duckling and raise it as their own.
    Relatively low post count.

it will snow
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I've been practicing by yelling at the people in Little Cottonwood who are recreating in avalanche terrain without gear. All kinds of idiots walking up Alta with sleds, boogie boards, lawn chairs, you name it. They don't even have packs so how can they have a shovel and probe? Inexcusable! I even saw Alta employees without this gear. And tailgaters. Don't they know that Lone Pine could rip out at any time and kill them on their way to work at the ticket office? Don't they know that Toledo empties right into the parking lot? Morans. They'll be back. And in greater numbers!

If resorts are closed, it will be really ugly on the front range, because there are not enough spots with reasonably easy access to spread out the hordes.

If, however, you're willing to skin a while to get to your climb, like in the Indian Peaks, you should be fine.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Northeast is even more limited with more tourons. Hopefully resorts will allow uphilling even though there was a concerted effort to close all of them this Spring.

The majority of people who flocked to the sport with COVID will continue to get out 3x per season to get a few rad IG shots 20 minutes from Alta central (or, for the more motivated, on top of the Y/Coalpit4/Superior) and justify their UL boots and fancy carbon sticks purchase. They'll bend you ear about their profound love of BC skiing, how soulful a pursuit it is, how their list of project is as long your arm and they'll for sure send the NW of the Pfeif this year, rah rah rah deep slab instability gotta dig a pit ECT Q3 TP21 COVID19 shear rah rah carbon ice tools and crevasse rescue pulleys rah rah 50 classics of NA I'm coming for you Cody rah rah rah, all the while profoundly hating the fact that touring is 95% dragging your carcass up the hill for 15 mediocre turns that could be achieved in 1/50th of the time at Alta or the Bird where, coincidentally, they have a pass.

Fuck that noise.

Like everybody's saying, getting away from new crowds in the bc isn't going to be hard, just as getting away from the old crowds isn't that hard (speaking for the Sierra here). But, hoo boy, parking availability is going to go from bad to worse.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Northeast is even more limited with more tourons. Hopefully resorts will allow uphilling even though there was a concerted effort to close all of them this Spring.
    There were a couple that stayed open. Not saying I broke lockdown and skied them... Not saying I didn't.