Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    The majority of people who flocked to the sport with COVID will continue to get out 3x per season...
    ^ This.

I swear %50 of all bindings up here in MT at Bridger Bowl are Salomon Shifts, and yet I've never actually seen a pair in the backcountry. Most people are far more into the idea of backcountry skiing than actually doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgge View Post
    ^ This.

I swear %50 of all bindings up here in MT at Bridger Bowl are Salomon Shifts, and yet I've never actually seen a pair in the backcountry. Most people are far more into the idea of backcountry skiing than actually doing it.

I mean personally, I'm split right now between "damn, touring this much has been really fun, maybe next year I'll tour a lot more," and "damn, I'm lazy, if the tram is open next year I'm not touring at all."

I'll probably just go back to being one of those LCC bros boissal is talking about. I don't own carbon anything though, so I've got that going for me.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I mean personally, I'm split right now between "damn, touring this much has been really fun, maybe next year I'll tour a lot more," and "damn, I'm lazy, if the tram is open next year I'm not touring at all."

I'll probably just go back to being one of those LCC bros boissal is talking about. I don't own carbon anything though, so I've got that going for me.
    You obviously like to ski too much to qualify. And you do both inbounds and BC too consistently to be lumped in with the gotta-get-into-it-cause-it-looks-rad-on-the-gram crowd.

Listen, I'm all about people getting into the BC if they're psyched. They have to try it sometime and decide if they like it. The fact that I took that step 10+ years ago doesn't give me the right to shit on people who are making the switch now. My observation has more to do with the fact recently lots of people have been talking up BC skiing as it it were the 2nd coming of Jeebus yet when you dig a bit it's clear they like the idea of it, not the execution. I can't count the number of conversations I've had with acquaintances who get all excited when I mention that I tour and immediately want to make plans to go together yet when I start talking specifics there's nobody home. They're only interested in skiing Superior, the Y, or some other gnarly line it took me years to build up to. But then there's a lot of bitching about how long it takes to get to something that others have already skied. If that's their take on BC skiing, they're doing it wrong. If their imagination bottoms out on the most popular roadside lines or biggest ticks in the canyon yet they pass on an opportunity to ski the TriChutes in blower conditions because it takes too much walking and doesn't looks badass enough, touring isn't for them. What they're looking for is heli-skiing. Touring is about walking in the woods for extended periods of time, not shredding the super-gnar all day. It's a possibility but it takes an amount of time most people aren't interested in investing into the pursuit. My biggest ever touring days have been 12+ hours and that many thousands of vert, something you can bang out in 3 hours at the resort if you're not stopping at the bar between runs. People who get into BC skiing for the skiing part realize that pretty quick, they spend the bulk of their time logging miles at the resort and only tour a few times a year when the conditions are prime. Nothing wrong with that... Personally I like the walking part a lot and my misanthropy is boundless so touring is the perfect fit.

I could have sounded less judgmental about the whole thing but I gotta feed my superiority complex somehow. I'm also not ready to accept that not getting a pass for 10 years has made me a mediocre skier at best and I have resort-shredding FOMO. When the January dry spells hit and there's nothing but shite snow all over the range touring can be a fucking chore and the resort would be a welcome change.

Quote Originally Posted by aqua toque View Post
    A pair of loons will adopt an orphan duckling and raise it as their own.
    Quality.

I was going to add and then stab it with their sword of a beak.

Which kind of still works in your analogy because sometimes I feel like stabbing the beginners I’ve been teaching.

And FFS shifts suck. Fucking buy the right stuff, like I told you. Argghghhhh
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Backcountry skiing is skiing across the street from Alta and complaining about the parking. Resort skiing is skiing at Alta and complaining about the traffic. You'd be amazed how different the equipment requirements are for these two activities.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    Backcountry skiing is skiing across the street from Alta and complaining about the parking. Resort skiing is skiing at Alta and complaining about the traffic. You'd be amazed how different the equipment requirements are for these two activities.
    Best description to date? I think so.
    Parking is the defining issue for the future of the Wasatch. That's why my 8:30AM summer wakeup time is pushed forward to 5AM in the winter. I don't know how people deal with it when going to the resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Best description to date? I think so.
    Parking is the defining issue for the future of the Wasatch. That's why my 8:30AM summer wakeup time is pushed forward to 5AM in the winter. I don't know how people deal with it when going to the resort.
    Its getting harder every year. Make a plan the night before, get up early, hope for the best. I don't ski saturdays either (work) or I may feel more cynical. I really hate dealing with crowds in the BC though.

That being said, I'm happy to take noobs out and teach people how to be good bc partners. If you are an instadouche you probably won't gain my respect. It also helps me to remember its just skiing. COVID has made me mellow out a ton in that respect.