Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

what trail bike?

Help me choose.

Coming off a 2011 Giant Anthem 29. I like how it climbs but it beats me up on rocky descents these days so I'd like more travel/cush. I like to spend long days up in the high country so want something that's comfortable all day. I think I'm only interested in 29" wheels. With my budget of ~$3000 and needing it to last a long time while being abused, I'm thinking used aluminium frame market. The maestro suspension on the anthem seems to climb fine for me- I never lock it out- always riding full open. If I could make my Anthem more compliant on the small bumps, give it a bigger fork to rake it out a bit and soften the ride, shorten the chainstays to make it easier to get the front end up, I'd be pretty happy. Prefer to have lots of space in the front triangle for a frame bag.

Currently looking at these bikes:
    Transition Smuggler - will this climb acceptably?
    Giant Trance - 115 not soft enough? Too slack seat angle?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Trek Fuel EX

thanks
    Last edited by NT; 05-27-2020 at 05:58 AM.

what trail bike?

Purchased my Evil “The Following” 5 weeks ago and now have 350 miles on it!! This thing crushes up. Loves the down. Honestly can’t sing it’s praises more. Got it for $3500 new on pink bike.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

what trail bike?

I grabbed a 2020 Fuel EX8 and couldn’t be happier. Bike rips.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0041.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	329827
    crab in my shoe mouth

A few thoughts on the Smuggler (I own one currently as a second bike, and am trying to sell it locally because of quiver overlap).
    1) It pedals acceptably unlocked, provided you remain seated. Meaning, seated there will be a very small amount of movement, but it never feels inefficient because it's just a few percent of the stroke. If you stand up and pedal squares, it will get very active.
    2) I wouldn't say there's a ton of space in the front for a frame bag if you use a water bottle. A large bottle (24oz) fills up the triangle space forward of the cage mount brackets on my size medium.
    3) The geo is great for the bike that it is. The seat angle is quite comfortable, and the head angle is just slack enough to ride anything I'd ride on my main bike (a Sentinel), just slower.

If you really like Maestro, consider looking at a used Ripley. From what I've heard, Giant just ripped off DW-link for Maestro.

Perhaps look at the Trance 29?

^^^ My thoughts exactly. The Trance 29 is a sweet bike.

I’m a little in love with the new nukeproof reactor if you wanted to go a little longer and buy new, I think they have full alloy builds around 2700 and 3400. But yes trance, ripley (might be hard to find a good deal on), tallboy, new hei hei.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

giant is SUCH good value, and for $2500US you can buy this new. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/trance-29-2

or a bit more get the carbon version https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/tr...anced-pro-29-2

or a lot more travel: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/re...anced-pro-29-2

I am far from an expert, but I am digging my Smuggler. I can see how some might want a bit more travel, but it is everything I need and feels just rock solid to me. Climbs better than expected.

I ride a Trance 27.5 and really like it. It's bullet proof on the down, never an issue and it climbs well. However, I have no idea how it compares to a 29 so can't judge.

Ibis Ripmo AF is worth a look

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks all, that's helpful. Meant to list Trance in my list so edited OP.

Trance is high on the list and one I'd have the ability to demo so will check it out. Read that the seat angle is slacker than ideal for climbing? Lots on the used market.

Smuggler- Andeh, those are super helpful comments, thanks.

Evil Following- had written it off as too pricey but looks like lots on the used market; will consider.

Nukeproof Reactor- thanks for the tip, I've never heard of this brand. Not many on used market

Ripmo AF ticks a lot of boxes but a little on the heavy side and the shock is right in the middle of where I'd want a frame bag. I guess I could learn to start wearing a pack again but I love the huge frame bag I've got on my XL Anthem. Allows me to not wear a pack even if I bring tons of water and layers. Not going to be able to get as big of a frame bag in a size L trail bike, but the more the better.

Ripley has same frame issue and seems to be hard to find at a reasonable cost.

Fuel EX- has anyone had success getting a macride kid seat to work with Trek's knockblock system?

Carbon vs Aluminum- I'm noticing there are way more used carbon bikes with component levels I'm interested in than aluminum. I'm hesitant to go carbon without the warranty support. I beat the shit out of my aluminum frame- there are 4 dents on that thing. Would be so bummed to crack a carbon frame, not be able to ride until it's dealt with, and not have support from manufacturer. Am I being over worried? This bike needs to last me another 6 years. Hoping for eagle gx or higher or shimano for widest 12 speed gear range.

Quote Originally Posted by NT View Post
    Thanks all, that's helpful. Meant to list Trance in my list so edited OP.

Trance is high on the list and one I'd have the ability to demo so will check it out. Read that the seat angle is slacker than ideal for climbing? Lots on the used market.

Smuggler- Andeh, those are super helpful comments, thanks.

Evil Following- had written it off as too pricey but looks like lots on the used market; will consider.

Nukeproof Reactor- thanks for the tip, I've never heard of this brand. Not many on used market

Ripmo AF ticks a lot of boxes but a little on the heavy side and the shock is right in the middle of where I'd want a frame bag. I guess I could learn to start wearing a pack again but I love the huge frame bag I've got on my XL Anthem. Allows me to not wear a pack even if I bring tons of water and layers. Not going to be able to get as big of a frame bag in a size L trail bike, but the more the better.

Ripley has same frame issue and seems to be hard to find at a reasonable cost.

Fuel EX- has anyone had success getting a macride kid seat to work with Trek's knockblock system?

Carbon vs Aluminum- I'm noticing there are way more used carbon bikes with component levels I'm interested in than aluminum. I'm hesitant to go carbon without the warranty support. I beat the shit out of my aluminum frame- there are 4 dents on that thing. Would be so bummed to crack a carbon frame, not be able to ride until it's dealt with, and not have support from manufacturer. Am I being over worried? This bike needs to last me another 6 years. Hoping for eagle gx or higher or shimano for widest 12 speed gear range.
    It’s tough, some say f it and just go used carbon, I’m more on the worrier side and would prefer a warranty with carbon. The most important things to me are components, suspension and geo, all of which you’ll get much more for buying alloy. Plus the piece of mind, also depends how strong of a climber you are, I’m weak as shit so I need every oz I can get, but I bet my buddies who are 6’2, lanky and lungs for days could kick my ass thoroughly on a 35 lb alloy. Personally- if I was trying to stay within a budget- I’d go for a new alloy witn decent components and suspension, but that’s just me. Don’t forget the direct to consumer stuff (Commencal, YT, Canyon) and /or leftovers (maybe snag a carbon somewhere) or model year changes...
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

at your price range, why not buy a new AL frame and get warranty, new parts, etc?

If you want to go up on travel, I am toying with the idea of selling my alloy Guerilla Gravity Smash, size medium (more like a large in other brands, even with modern geo). Not sure on exact price or build (might swap out a few bits I really like to use on another bike), but price would definitely be under 3k.

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    If you want to go up on travel, I am toying with the idea of selling my alloy Guerilla Gravity Smash, size medium (more like a large in other brands, even with modern geo). Not sure on exact price or build (might swap out a few bits I really like to use on another bike), but price would definitely be under 3k.
    Can you post pics or PM them to me if you’re serious about selling? May have a few questions on size too since I’ve got short legs longer arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smuggler- owned one last year (sold it to buy the Ripmo). My main issues were horrible tire clearance, and really felt like an inbetween bike...it didn't climb as well as you think it would (given it's a mid-travel bike) and didn't descend as well as you wanted it to given the geo/travel. I'm also thinking it's next up for a new version by Transition, so personally, I'd wait and see what they come up with if you really like the Smuggler. It should be noted...I significantly PR'd my climbs once I moved to the Ripmo from the Smuggler...the ibis just climbs that well!

I'd take a strong look at that Reactor that someone mentioned, it's a below the radar bike that is a great value (also look up the Privateer 161- hard to find, but SICK!).

Lastly, if you haven't already, check out the La Sal Peak from Fezzari. You get TONS of value and deal with great customer service. I have 3 buddies riding them and they rival the Ripmo in all facets (except bling factor and resale value).
    "I just got back from the Psych ward...OBVIOUSLY i am sane!"

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalSJK View Post
    <snip> PR'd my climbs

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    All about those strava times, brah

I’m in the market too... but I’ll be hanging out for another 6mos or so...

We’ve seen new bikes from Evil, SC, Kona, YT in this category in the last year. A lot of speculation that we will see a new Transition and Rocky soon.

It seems like the industry as a whole just went thru an enduro bike true up and is now revamping all the trail bikes.

I bet we see a few new trail bikes drop once Chinese production can catch back up the setbacks earlier this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I’m far from an expert in this area, but I’m shopping for a new bike with similar criteria, so following this w/ interest. What about the GG smash? Get full warranty on a thermoplastic frame, with “ride” build around your price point (maybe components are less than you want?).

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    All about those strava times, brah
    What else is there??
    "I just got back from the Psych ward...OBVIOUSLY i am sane!"

Wow, there are a lot of options that look good that I've never heard of or had forgotten, thanks. Tough to try many of those bikes out unfortunately. At least it looks like Fezzari gives you a 30 day return option. How are their smaller travel aluminum bikes like the Cascade?

Commencal- wow you get a ton of value - better components than most at this price point. I demoed on (Meta?) back in 2009 or so and thought it rode a lot like my old Santa Cruz Superlight but was heavier. How are they now? Look to be still on the heavier side. Does the single pivot work?

Why not just new aluminum? Guess I was hoping for higher end parts. Also, a piece of this puzzle is to get the widest gear range I can from the 1x12. I currently am on a 2x10 with a 20t (yes 20) granny ring. I love it, I can climb nearly anything. This has me thinking I want to put the smallest chainring I can get away with on the 1x12 and therefore a cassette with a wider range (GX or higher 10-50 or Shimano 10-51) will help. Correct me if I'm wrong, but NX uses a non XD driver so you are stuck with 11-50 unless you get a new hub and cassette- right?

I'm probably going to wait until the later this summer or fall to pull the trigger. Just getting the process started now as I've had my head in the sand with regard to new bikes the last half dozen years. Hope there are some demo days this summer - I usually try to avoid those to not get upgraditis but now could sure use one. Anyone know if Snowmass demo days will be happening? (I'm in the RFV)

Now for a bigger question- how does one decide on what end of the travel spectrum. I'm looking at bikes with anywhere from 115 to 147mm of rear travel (more xc side to enduro). I guess the more travel the better provided it still climbs well? I'm looking for comfort (at least relative to my anthem) and it seems like the fork would be the bigger contributor to that? Or I could go shorter travel but throw some 2.6 tires on? Guess I need to actually try some of these bikes...

Thanks for all the input

What about the Marin rift zone?

new bike sales are thru the roof right now (very limited inventory in fall)

used bike sales are fetching high prices

So if a bike sold for $4000, 2 years ago, it would normally sell for $2500ish. now getting $3000

bike parts get better and the technoligy trickles down. So that same bike 2 years ago, at $4000 is now similar to the current bike at $3000 (and new)

So if the budget is $3000, why buy parts with 2 years of use/wear and tear etc? when for the same price you can buy new and get "branded" lower parts, that work just as well?

no hunting for "deals" just go to a store and but the new pretty one on the floor.

IE: 12 speed is released to a deore level soon.