Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    new bike sales are thru the roof right now (very limited inventory in fall)

used bike sales are fetching high prices

So if a bike sold for $4000, 2 years ago, it would normally sell for $2500ish. now getting $3000

bike parts get better and the technoligy trickles down. So that same bike 2 years ago, at $4000 is now similar to the current bike at $3000 (and new)

So if the budget is $3000, why buy parts with 2 years of use/wear and tear etc? when for the same price you can buy new and get "branded" lower parts, that work just as well?

no hunting for "deals" just go to a store and but the new pretty one on the floor.

IE: 12 speed is released to a deore level soon.
    This. Get alloy with an slx build. Boom done.

Edit: that neuron cf 8.0 with GX and fox suspension at 3199 seems perfect. 130/140, new geo, fox and mid level SRAM, might upgrade the guide T but that’s about it.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

You make an excellent point on going new and not waiting due to the increased demand.

Commencal Meta TR 29, Fezzari Cascade Peak, Trek Fuel EX 8, Canyon Neuron CF 8, Norco Fluid FS 1, Giant Trance 29 2 all have decent specs.

Hoping to at least try the trek and giant out, not sure if I can get my hands on any others.

In the past I've had decent luck finding a used offload from an detail obsessed every year upgrading dentist...

This is 27.5, and the geometry is at the XC end of trail bikes, but the spec is mind blowing at this price:

https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/k...ke-180765.html

I'm kinda tempted to buy one, swap out the Hope/ WTB carbon wheelset, and resell it.

There's also an 11-spd XT/XTR version for a little bit less.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

There are very few bad bikes these days. There are also trade-offs on most bikes, especially minor differences in geometry or components.

Find something you can afford, ride it. Adapt.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    This is 27.5, and the geometry is at the XC end of trail bikes, but the spec is mind blowing at this price:

https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/k...ke-180765.html

I'm kinda tempted to buy one, swap out the Hope/ WTB carbon wheelset, and resell it.

There's also an 11-spd XT/XTR version for a little bit less.
    Having spent a lot of time on a Process 111, and now some time on a Hei Hei 29er.. that 68 deg HTA is deceptive. Both bikes are way more composed (and yet super playful) than they appear on paper. Kona might not do 10k dream bikes, but they sure know how to make something fun. The cheaper version for ~2k is an obscene deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Ibis Ripmo AF is worth a look

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Been on my carbon Ripmo for a few weeks now and the hype is true.
    Amazing peddling, not just for it's class, but in any class. Put some weight into the pedals and it accelerates like a 100mm XC bike. I doubt the extra weight of the AF would reduce that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.