Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
    What bindings are your tweener kids on?

My kid is at DIN 5, and readily available options are Warden 11 and Squire 11. Ability to adjust up or down a size (for future larger boot, or hand me down to younger sibling) and ease of use are important, so not interested in Pivots.
    My daughter is 13, 120 lbs and skiing DIN 5 on Marker Squire 11s. She’s made the jump to women’s skis: 156 Volkl Kenjas and similar length (can’t remember offhand) Blaze 106s.

I'm shopping the spring deals for my 13 year old, currently 5'4" 100 lbs. How much do they grow at this age? Haha. Debating between the Rossi Black Ops Jr (160) or the Blizzard Rustler Jr (164 or 156). Looks like the Black Ops may be a little stiffer and advanced ski but a little narrower tip. Anyone have kids on either ski? He is an expert (for his age), skis mostly black diamond bumps and off-piste steeps. No groomers. Mostly ski at CB.

Also - which ski will slow him down in the bumps more? Need all the help I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    I'm shopping the spring deals for my 13 year old, currently 5'4" 100 lbs. How much do they grow at this age? Haha. Debating between the Rossi Black Ops Jr (160) or the Blizzard Rustler Jr (164 or 156). Looks like the Black Ops may be a little stiffer and advanced ski but a little narrower tip. Anyone have kids on either ski? He is an expert (for his age), skis mostly black diamond bumps and off-piste steeps. No groomers. Mostly ski at CB.
    He’s on the cusp of adult skis.
    My 14 year old had a hudge game change this winter.
    Soul7
    only as cheap option that worked. But he’s in love and skiing better than ever.

13. And a ripper from what you say.
    A year older next year. I would ditch the junior skis.
    Just look for a softer adult ski.
    . . .

Thanks for the info, I do think adult skis will be coming soon but he's still pretty light and actually turning 13 soon. I'm ok with only getting a year on a kids ski and then updating the following season.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Soul7

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Soul7

I have my boys (12/13/16) on Moment Sierras and PB&J in the 162/172 sizes and they aren't too much ski for them. That way my wife can ski them when they outgrow.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post

Also - which ski will slow him down in the bumps more? Need all the help I can get.
    13?! He might be 3 inches taller at the beginning on next year. I checked in because I have a pair of Marksman 163cm with SPX 12s on them that my wife and daughter no longer use. Nearly new. Lemme know if interested.

For your question, the difference between 13 and 15 years old is massive.

Another vote for moment jr skis. My 9 year old is on 136 Carson’s. First year big mountain team and these skis immediately had him skiing better
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22EBBE6C-D466-4D3F-9536-49ED65C7AC74.jpeg 
Views:	110 
Size:	832.9 KB 
ID:	411469

Junior Freeride Skis - What's Your Kid Ripping Around On?

Boots made a big difference with my now 10 yo. New Cochise Jrs and some 136cm Carson’s, and his confidence sky rocketed.

One of my sons has a pair of those too... I feel like he's starting to out ski the foam core, but he loves them in the park as they're light and "spin better" than his other skis. Durability is a question though, see pic...

Is that you Jeff? Yes hook up boots were rad! 4 buckle boot upgrade definitely additive.

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    One of my sons has a pair of those too... I feel like he's starting to out ski the foam core, but he loves them in the park as they're light and "spin better" than his other skis. Durability is a question though, see pic...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thread Bump as I am currently shopping for the just turned 9yo. Hes on the smaller side for age, 53 in tall, really advanced well last year and loves ripping off piste and going fast but still working on technical fundamentals at the upper intermediate level. Moment Carson Jr looks awesome but I feel like the 136cm may be a bit much and a big jump from the 110 cm Rossis he was on last year. Also looking at the Mantra Jr in a 128 and the K2 Mindbender Jr in a 129. Saw the Enforcer S 130 cm also, a little narrower than i was thinking at 80mm but also could be on the table. There is also a Liberty Helix 84 around in a 128cm.

Basically I have no idea whats different about these skis, any thoughts on skis or sizing here?

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Thread Bump as I am currently shopping for the just turned 9yo. Hes on the smaller side for age, 53 in tall, really advanced well last year and loves ripping off piste and going fast but still working on technical fundamentals at the upper intermediate level. Moment Carson Jr looks awesome but I feel like the 136cm may be a bit much and a big jump from the 110 cm Rossis he was on last year. Also looking at the Mantra Jr in a 128 and the K2 Mindbender Jr in a 129. Saw the Enforcer S 130 cm also, a little narrower than i was thinking at 80mm but also could be on the table. There is also a Liberty Helix 84 around in a 128cm.

Basically I have no idea whats different about these skis, any thoughts on skis or sizing here?
    Coming from a 110 to 128 will be a bit of an adjustment and the mantra jr is a great ski but requires a bit more technical skills than the other options. You can’t go wrong with the k2s and they’ll be easier to ski than the mantra jrs. Given the description of your son’s skills, I would jump on the Liberty Helixes. They’ll be easy to ski, allow him to progress and hang in there in all conditions.

All good choices, any of them will work just fine.

I doubt there is an effective edge length published but the Carson’s appear long on paper but ski short. Both my kids have ridden them. My daughter is 9 and is skiing the next size up already. Drop the money on them - you and your kid will appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with Nick - they ski shorter. The effective edge is much shorter with the amount of tail rise in the Carsons. I got a pair of New Old stock from a Mag here last year and they have been great for our kid. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 8.34.57 AM.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	945.8 KB 
ID:	426291
    "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story." Warren M

Effective edge published on moments site: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 9.11.41 AM.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	426293
    "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story." Warren M

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    Coming from a 110 to 128 will be a bit of an adjustment and the mantra jr is a great ski but requires a bit more technical skills than the other options. You can’t go wrong with the k2s and they’ll be easier to ski than the mantra jrs. Given the description of your son’s skills, I would jump on the Liberty Helixes. They’ll be easy to ski, allow him to progress and hang in there in all conditions.

All good choices, any of them will work just fine.
    Thanks. He's carving well and parallel all the time except on steep stuff (he had a goal to do silver fox at the bird last spring, where the sitting back and stem came back out, but otherwise decent technique ) but loves bumps and trees so going too long is a concern. Those moment Carson's look fine from a running length standpoint, but I don't want him to feel they are too much ski in tighter stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrine View Post
    Effective edge published on moments site: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 9.11.41 AM.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	426293
    Those look very forgiving from a rocker standpoint. Reminds me of the old s7 adult ski. Very easy to ski but no stability at speed.

But I seriously have no idea what I'm talking about. Just can't wait to ski with my son on the carsons coming for him.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by skinipenem; 09-13-2022 at 05:04 PM.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Those look very forgiving from a rocker standpoint. Reminds me of the old s7 adult ski. Very easy to ski but no stability at speed.

But I seriously have no idea what I'm talking about. Just can't wait to ski with my son on the carsons coming for him.

That’s the same rocker profile as the Wildcat which has legendary stability at speed. Construction matters.

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    That’s the same rocker profile as the Wildcat which has legendary stability at speed. Construction matters.
    Yup. Only commenting on the rocker outline. And thank God. Because the s7 sucked over 15 mph.

No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Wife’s cousin is visiting from Singapore in December. He boards but his wife skis. She’s wants to own rather than rent so I got drafted.

She describes herself as “level 4” whatever that means. Basically a beginner-lower intermediate…she said she is cautious and afraid of speed.

She is 145cm tall and about 90lbs and has rented 128-130cm skis.

I’m thinking with a better ski and some rocker I’ll want to find something in the mid 130s?

Any suggestions?

I’m leaning mindbender but open to ideas.

Thread bump for Spring Sales. the 9yo, turns 10 in July, still pretty petite at 4'5 or so, has been ripping around on a Gear Swap acquired 130 K2 Shreditor Jr twin tip at 85 underfoot and surprisingly stiff (stiffer than the Mantra Jr by a significant amount when he had to demo them when our ski bags arrived late)
    Kid is skiing the whole mountain now, east and west. Loves trees and bumps. Really progressed this year, now hitting small drops.

I was thinking of getting something from the spring sales, but its so hard to predict growth in advance. Any idea what size I should be looking at? 140ish is my thought.

Also, anyone use the Blizzard Rustler Jr Team at 90 underfoot? Any other recommendations? Would love to find Carsons, but so far no dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Thread bump for Spring Sales. the 9yo, turns 10 in July, still pretty petite at 4'5 or so, has been ripping around on a Gear Swap acquired 130 K2 Shreditor Jr twin tip at 85 underfoot and surprisingly stiff (stiffer than the Mantra Jr by a significant amount when he had to demo them when our ski bags arrived late)
    Kid is skiing the whole mountain now, east and west. Loves trees and bumps. Really progressed this year, now hitting small drops.

I was thinking of getting something from the spring sales, but its so hard to predict growth in advance. Any idea what size I should be looking at? 140ish is my thought.

Also, anyone use the Blizzard Rustler Jr Team at 90 underfoot? Any other recommendations? Would love to find Carsons, but so far no dice.
    My son uses the Blizzard Jr Team ski and although he broke one last year the current ones have held up for this season and are working well. Not to mention the price is right.

My kid is ripping around on some 143 Bent Chetlers and she likes them a lot. They're actually the first "free ski" that she makes a point of using when free skiing (she's a ski racer); before she was always happy to free ski on her race skis.

FWIW, she's maybe 4'9" and 95lbs. I think you can safely buy a 140ish ski for your grom, but of course the keep kids skiing thread is where I do all my ski gear shopping.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    My kid is ripping around on some 143 Bent Chetlers and she likes them a lot. They're actually the first "free ski" that she makes a point of using when free skiing (she's a ski racer); before she was always happy to free ski on her race skis.

FWIW, she's maybe 4'9" and 95lbs. I think you can safely buy a 140ish ski for your grom, but of course the keep kids skiing thread is where I do all my ski gear shopping.
    Agree, paying full price for kids stuff that they abuse for a season then move on is rough