Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    He needs to be taxed at least 3x as much.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I know poor people tend to live in both very concentrated projects/developments and both very widely and more typical suburban dispersed single family residences, ie rural poor and suburban poor; both in abject poverty. Thatís gonna be the extent of my research into it.

Just found the blanket comment odd is all.
    Neither of those exist to any extent here.
    Forum Cross Pollinator

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    30-45 minutes over the pass in Victor, substitute the equivalent for any other mountain town, like the rest of the working stiffs.
    Average home price in Teton County Idaho is 475K and trending up, more so in Victor do to obvious proximity to JH. Hardly affordable to a single income middle class employee. But you know all that.

Pretty much all data Iíve seen has average housing prices about 100k lower than your number for Victor. This has anecdotally been confirmed by my realtor friends. I do agree our valley is pushing the upper limit in terms of pricing for the working families, but it is still attainable. https://www.zillow.com/teton-county-id/home-values/

This is a separate issue, but housing affordability for less than a two income household went the way of the dodo bird decades ago in pretty much any desirable community. The dual income trap is very real. But I will ask, why must it be a single person needs to be able to afford a single family home, which is a pretty inefficient use of space for 1 person in the first place? Condos would work there and be more affordable. Sure everyone wants more but again with the finite resources.
    Last edited by AdironRider; 05-27-2020 at 07:14 AM.

If you want to start a career as an Outdoor Adventurer and you're finding the Jackson, WY area a bit too expensive you may wish to consider Londonderry, VT. If the pace in Londonderry proper is a bit too fast for you, then consider nearby South Londonderry. Both towns are on the doorstep to world class skiing and other outdoor activities.

Nearby Lowell Lake is a pristine location to hear the haunting calls of the common loon while hooking a 4 lb largemouth bass on a crisp summer morning. Unlike Jackson, housing is affordable so you won't require a wife with a good job or a family trust fund to support your lifestyle. As a homeowner, you also won't have to worry about the siding on your reasonably priced VT home blistering like a marshmallow over a campfire because unlike Jackson, there is a very low fire hazard in VT during the summer months.

While you can't dress like a Teton cowboy without getting a few stares, the toned down working class look of Carhartt is welcome everywhere.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

this is always a silly discussion
    why should it be cheap and easy to live in a ski town? everyone has this big wish that they can get cheap rent cheap housing costs and it should be easy to roll up into a ski town and live happily ever after while pounding snow all day and barely working
    give me a break, how many JH crested buttes and breckenridges are out there? Not too many so get over it, who cares what someone is worth and how much money they have
    I"m glad its so expensive to live in a ski town keeps the numbers down

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    If you want to start a career as an Outdoor Adventurer and you're finding the Jackson, WY area a bit too expensive you may wish to consider Londonderry, VT. If the pace in Londonderry proper is a bit too fast for you, then consider nearby South Londonderry. Both towns are on the doorstep to world class skiing and other outdoor activities.

Nearby Lowell Lake is a pristine location to hear the haunting calls of the common loon while hooking a 4 lb largemouth bass on a crisp summer morning. Unlike Jackson, housing is affordable so you won't require a wife with a good job or a family trust fund to support your lifestyle. As a homeowner, you also won't have to worry about the siding on your reasonably priced VT home blistering like a marshmallow over a campfire because unlike Jackson, there is a very low fire hazard in VT during the summer months.

While you can't dress like a Teton cowboy without getting a few stares, the toned down working class look of Carhartt is welcome everywhere.
    It’s like I just got taken inside a Norman Rockwell painting.
    I still call it The Jake.

OK Greg

Itís like I just got taken inside a Norman Rockwell painting.
    With black flies and easy availability of hard drugs.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    why should it be cheap and easy to live in a ski town? everyone has this big wish that they can get cheap rent cheap housing costs and it should be easy to roll up into a ski town and live happily ever after while pounding snow all day and barely working
    give me a break, how many JH crested buttes and breckenridges are out there? Not too many so get over it, who cares what someone is worth and how much money they have
    You know who buys "Affordable Housing" in these towns? White kids, with upper middle class parents , working in the service industry for pennies. That's the perfect ski town citizen!

I thought that it would take years to fill all these AH units. Rolled through one brand new neighborhood the other day. Every unit is occupied, with a golden doodle passed out in a pile of its own shit in the front yard. Each house seems to have come with a Tacoma with rod vault and a RTT, Subaru with an Abasin sticker, and a Kuat rack with two gravel bikes. The bigger units also included a NRS raft w/trailer and Yeti cooler hooked up to the Sprinter ready to go at a moments notice. All that is rolled into a low interest FHA loan with no down payment.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    OK Greg
    Oh no, I'm not Greg. I find the Killington area a bit soulless for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    With black flies and easy availability of hard drugs.
    You just stick to pilfering cold cuts.

Oh no, I'm not Greg. I find the Killington area a bit soulless for my tastes.
    And what "area" in Vermont has enough soul for you, brother?

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    You know who buys "Affordable Housing" in these towns? White kids, with upper middle class parents , working in the service industry for pennies. That's the perfect ski town citizen!

I thought that it would take years to fill all these AH units. Rolled through one brand new neighborhood the other day. Every unit is occupied, with a golden doodle passed out in a pile of its own shit in the front yard. Each house seems to have come with a Tacoma with rod vault and a RTT, Subaru with an Abasin sticker, and a Kuat rack with two gravel bikes. The bigger units also included a NRS raft w/trailer and Yeti cooler hooked up to the Sprinter ready to go at a moments notice. All that is rolled into a low interest FHA loan with no down payment.
    yup
    way to nail it
    all those shacks they built in keystone that filled right up with people is crazy as shit
    to think they can add 500 plus more units over by i70 on the lake hill property is insane too
    but 500k for an affordable townhome or free standing house is insane, deed restricted and all I still don't know how you afford a 400,000 plus mortgage but thats me

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    And what "area" in Vermont has enough soul for you, brother?
    Bernard, you're not paying attention.

Does Londonderry get "Hot New Jersey Italian Babes (TM)?"

Only when they get a flat tire or stop for gas. You might find a few at JJ Hapgood in Peru as it attracts a bourgeois crowd.

Plus, Londonderry has the Branch Covidians and their signature Sunday margarita Service
    I still call it The Jake.

It’s like I just got taken inside a Norman Rockwell painting.
    I was thinking Jackson Pollack meets Rockwell.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

yup
    way to nail it
    all those shacks they built in keystone that filled right up with people is crazy as shit
    to think they can add 500 plus more units over by i70 on the lake hill property is insane too
    but 500k for an affordable townhome or free standing house is insane, deed restricted and all I still don't know how you afford a 400,000 plus mortgage but thats me
    Well, that's where the DINK comes in, with the $200k household income. The kids may, or may not come later. Or they have already gone, and the empty nesters are divesting of suburbia. So the mortgage isn't $400k. Might be all cash, or $200k.

Probably accelerating moves out of the city life based on all the anecdotal evidence out there.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Plus, Londonderry has the Branch Covidians and their signature Sunday margarita Service
    Bmills, in a weird twist of Covid induced fate, I'm now holding services in a basement in NJ.

Angle Parking n I were talking about this whilst social distancing/ getting drunk in the front yard

pre pandemic i could go sit at the more chi-chi craft brew and meet some new young residents just about every day

people (the Amenity Migrants ) come to a place and stay becuz its cool and in the process change it so it ain't cool

lotsa masters thesis have already been written on the Amenity Migrant and basicly

you wana be the first one
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Move to Ogden if you can't afford Jackson Hole. How many Ogdens is Ogden now?

So a fun statistic:

It takes $420k/yr to be in the top 1% of household incomes.

$420k/yr gets you, round numbers, approved for a $1.6M mortgage, plus whatever you've saved to put down.

$1.6M gets you a 1970s-construction 3-bed condo in Teton Village. Single family homes start at about double that. And why would anyone sell to someone who has to be approved for a mortgage when the next guy in line is offering cash?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Amenity Migrant
    God damn that's good haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Can you pump oil back into a well, like they do with pumping sea water into one? Might be a good idea to explore that option...
    It's a bit like putting a shit back in someone's colon.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    God damn that's good haha.
    I wasnt first

but i was first enough
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know