Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking Lance Armstrong EPSN doc

Started watching and the kids stole and rule the tv, got it recorded so will watch it later. I started road riding as this (early 90,s) was happening, ALWAYS said you can't win the the tour that many times without performance enhancement. World now knows that Lance was a dick and ruined many of folks lives. Crazy to watch with all of the boys Bobbie, Tyler, Frankie ( hurt the most) Levi, and Floyd.

It is a look into the dark side for sure. Need more folks like Bob Roll.

I don't know if I can watch it. LA's pathology is such that he craves even this kind of attention. I don't want to give it to him.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I don't know if I can watch it. LA's pathology is such that he craves even this kind of attention. I don't want to give it to him.
    I doubt he’s gonna know if you watch it or not.

I'll know if I had watched it. It's like the kartrashians, even the hate watchers enrich the brand.

I would watch but I can’t get E P S N

Do you think ESPN will show it someday?
    . . .

Wow, his stepdad was also a dick.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Streaming online anywhere without a subscription? Someone rip it for download?

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    Wow, his stepdad was also a dick.
    right?

Wondering at why so little Greg Lemond story was in pt 1...
    Seems like he was miracle number one, no? winning TDF at all as an American and after a hunting accident?
    Betsy Andreu presented as a friend in pt 1? Seems like the show might be ultimately a little wanting for deeper insight

didn’t they all cheat at the top levels? is the story any bigger than “he cheated the best, had the most money behind him, and should have admitted it 20 years ago?”
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    didn’t they all cheat at the top levels? is the story any bigger than “he cheated the best, had the most money behind him, and should have admitted it 20 years ago?”
    Yes. He made bike racing more popular in America by an exponential amount. Everybody knew Lance was the brash Texan that beat cancer and was now kicking everybody's ass in the Tour. Those stupid yellow wristbands were everywhere, it was like a cult. The guy was doing beer commercials fer christsake. Nike named a building on their campus after him.

Also, his win the Tour at all costs mentality meant he tried to destroy (professionally, financially) anyone he perceived as standing in his way.

I think the second episode will show what a piece of shit he really was.

I didn't watch the whole thing, but it seems that everyone cheated. He won before cheating and then EPO came about and he couldn't come close to winning. So he joined all the other cheaters and started winning again.

I didn't realize he became known as a swimmer first. Drugs or not, the guy was strong. You have to wonder how this would have played out if drugs didn't exist anywhere.

He seems like a complete dick, but isn't that fairly typical of all the super athletes?

Lance was an asshole because he treated people like shit. Lance was not an asshole for doping. Its pro sports. It's entertainment. Were you not entertained?!? this gets lost on waaaay too many people IMO.

Everyone at the pointy end of the competitive cycling field had a regimented doping plan, so it was a pretty much level playing field... we just go to see super human feats which was pretty damn cool.

The guy is directly responsible for hundreds of millions of dollars worth of cancer research. He didnt need to be, and shouldnt have been such an asshole, but ill trade some hurt feelings and a few damaged careers for the thousands of lives that research saved.

To be an all-time great you typically have to have certain "killer" traits and a level of sociopathy. Sometimes those traits get reinforced through success and grow stronger. Sometimes things happen that mellow those traits, or teach them to tone it down when not needed. But make no mistake, the greats are hyper competitive to the point of being unmitigated assholes at times.

But, YMMV. I love Barry Bonds too.

I guess in the end he also saved Mike Anderson from the Covid. So I'm glad he did so much to save people from a pandemic.

He was so good. The Tour with him in it was fun.

He was a complete a hole Texan.

These two things could exists in the same universe,

I wonder if the French would do anything different with the tour in retrospect? During that decade it was must watch for me. Now, I watch some daily highlights.

I have it queued up for after I finish the last dance.....

I heard he admits to more, if that's worth anything at this point.

Should I not give him a head nod next time I see him riding on Airline?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    He was so good. The Tour with him in it was fun.

He was a complete a hole Texan.

These two things could exists in the same universe,

I wonder if the French would do anything different with the tour in retrospect? During that decade it was must watch for me. Now, I watch some daily highlights.
    As a fan at the time, it was fun to watch him win, but the racing was not that exciting. Everybody knew Lance would take time on his rivals in the time trials and then his team could control the race through the mountains.

I remember watching George Hincapie leading the peloton up some mountain in the Alps and figuring something was up. George is a big guy, not a climbers build at all, more like a sprinter or classics rider. Here he is just hammering up this mountain, dropping pure climbers he out weighs by 30-40 pounds. Unnatural.

at any level actualy,

the only way an 18yr old kid in yurp was gona get noticed was take the drugs to get max performance

lance was the best at bike racing, at doping, at bikeracing and doping
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    He seems like a complete dick, but isn't that fairly typical of all the super athletes?

I don’t know him, but he’s polite out on the trails.

If he just admitted it from the start all would have been forgiven from the public...my 2 cents at least. More he doubled down, deeper the shit, lost friends, etc.
    Everyone took it....I looked at it as a level playing field, he still turned the cranks over better than anyone else.

Met him once. That was enough. Pompous asshole.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

the first episode was pretty inspiring, I really got me stoked and excited
    the second episode started out the same way, but man after a half hr it got pretty brutal
    thought it was great, spared no expense on being honest and painting lance as a d bag he is, although I still think he has endless positive things that he has done in life
    at the end of the day he is the biggest d bag out there, they also threw done on how corrupt the uci is and how they protected their rock star face of cycling at any costs

what an asshole when it came to landis, I'm glad they saved him for the second episode, I was wondering where he was in the first
    they live about 30 or so miles apart as a crow flies, lance spared no expense in proving hes just a another faggot living in aspen while shitting all over leadvegas
    the contrast between the two was amazing, landis a humble quiet probably one of the greatest people you'd meet and lance the biggest cock sucker in aspen

I was a fan but had no illusions about him (or anyone else successfully road racing) not doping. Is he a dick? Hell yes, again, most athletes at his level are (Last Dance documentary, anyone?). I have an ex pro road racer buddy who says Bob Roll was the biggest dick he ever met. And Roll wasn't even particularly successful at it.
    I've always felt it was, pretty much, a level playing field. Every big team had the same access to the same drugs and they all did it. Name one of his contemporaries who wasn't caught at some point.
    He was probably the single-most reason for road bike sales to explode in the US back then. Wonder what the TDF US market TV rights cost pre and post Lance. Hell, the bike industry should pay his legal fees.

What pissed me off was that it became a witch hunt. Since we couldn't catch him by testing, lets do it in the courts. Subpoena people to testify under oath. Talk about a precedent change.
    Oh, and let's wait till after he retires. Wouldn't want to kill our golden goose while he's still making us fat stacks, would we?
    OK, if that's the new norm, why stop at Lance? Take it to everyone. Think there isn't someone alive who's seen Indurain dope? Merckx? Hinault? LaMond? Crawl up every tour winner's ass with a microscope and see who comes up clean.
    You'd have to put the "Vacated" label on every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    I was a fan but had no illusions about him (or anyone else successfully road racing) not doping. Is he a dick? Hell yes, again, most athletes at his level are (Last Dance documentary, anyone?). I have an ex pro road racer buddy who says Bob Roll was the biggest dick he ever met. And Roll wasn't even particularly successful at it.
    I've always felt it was, pretty much, a level playing field. Every big team had the same access to the same drugs and they all did it. Name one of his contemporaries who wasn't caught at some point.
    He was probably the single-most reason for road bike sales to explode in the US back then. Wonder what the TDF US market TV rights cost pre and post Lance. Hell, the bike industry should pay his legal fees.

What pissed me off was that it became a witch hunt. Since we couldn't catch him by testing, lets do it in the courts. Subpoena people to testify under oath. Talk about a precedent change.
    Oh, and let's wait till after he retires. Wouldn't want to kill our golden goose while he's still making us fat stacks, would we?
    OK, if that's the new norm, why stop at Lance? Take it to everyone. Think there isn't someone alive who's seen Indurain dope? Merckx? Hinault? LaMond? Crawl up every tour winner's ass with a microscope and see who comes up clean.
    You'd have to put the "Vacated" label on every year.
    All of what you said is exactly where I sit with him. But, I'll add that I did a bunch of research when he first got popped. I found it odd they were sueing everyone for liveSTRONG (the strong part added to every fundraiser). When you get into the records, you could clearly see he was using LiveStrong to be his legal arm. One one hand it makes sense, need to protect "the brand" and he was the brand. On the other hand, LiveStrong appeared to pay his legal fees, his travel and he pocketed appearance money. On top of that for a long time LiveStrong was to "raise awareness" of cancer. The didn't originally donate anything to research (it may have changed since then).