Bike Rental Fleet Chain Lube?

What do you use personally, or know what your local rental place uses? I have used Pro Link gold, but it just gets too gunky over time if you aren’t meticulous.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I was a long time pro-gold user, its also good in cables or for general lubage

I since swithced to a wax based lube called Squirt, my buddy who turned me on to wax uses boeshield, wax is very clean if you are clean freak

you do have to clean all the shit off the old chain if you want to switch to wax or at least I did

somebody was telling me Wax isnt good to use around some soil types but i have nothing concrete on that idea
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yes, I am aware of that. I don’t think management will go for that level of labor, but I was planning on pitching that option.
    I never loved wax based lubes in the early ‘00’s, have they improved?
    (Hated white lightning accumulation)

i used a park type chain cleaner with simple green but I supose you could just blast the shit out of the chain with a pwer wash and get the same result

I never used wax 20 yars ago so can't say

there is a bit of buildup on the chain, I had my road bike in the front room to loosen up my kacked knee and it spit a fiar amount of wax bits on the floor so i made a shield to catch it with a wine case

What level rentals? What soil types?

For a bike path rental operation, chainsaw bar oil is much cheaper than something bike specific.

Muc Off dry.
    if used properly it last a really long time, doesn't attract dirt and runs clean
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Dumonde Tech blue or the Lite version (yellow). I've used the blue for a decade. I've gotten up to 200 miles per application on the MTB. The yellow, about half that, but it can get 200+ on a road bike in a cleaner environment.

Only drawback is if it is applied too often, it can get a little residue build-up, which is easy to clean.

I haven't used anything else in the last decade. When used properly (which is easy) Dumonde Tech will keep the drive train clean and ready to roll. I never clean cassette or pulley wheels. Very rarely will I have to clean a narrow-wide chainring.

Very reputable shop I used to wrench at turned me on to it - used it for rental and client tunes. Since, I have switched two shops to the product for both rentals and tune-ups.

Some folks just don't like it. Not sure why. I have had excellent results with a modified version of the manufacturer's application recommendation. When I hear the drivetrain drying out, I wipe the chain with a rag, then apply a thin stream to the chain while backpedaling. It works out close to 1 drop per link. Wipe off excess. Go ride until the chain sounds dry again. Repeat. I'd probably get more miles out of an application with 1 drop per link, but who has time for that?

I can't even look at another chain lube...ugh. (haha)

I switched from Dumonde tech to Boeshield T9 years ago and won't go back. It's cheaper, and lasts way way longer, especially here in the PNW. It's way cleaner too.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    What level rentals? What soil types?

For a bike path rental operation, chainsaw bar oil is much cheaper than something bike specific.
    I used Bar oil my dirt bikes back in the HS days cuz I was cheap and had no money, also found a jug of 90W gear oil in the basement and used that, the thing with both of them is that IME they fling off, so you want to use summer weight chain oil which will be heavier than winter

they fling off

Muc off dry and rock and roll king of lubes gold (or whatever the hell its called), are my favs.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Yeah, Rock and Roll. I'll put it in a chain cleaner and run all 7 bikes in our fleet. Rarely gunks up for me.

Pro Link Gold for me.

But it is all highly dependent on your climate.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by donetlynx View Post
    Dumonde Tech blue or the Lite version (yellow). I've used the blue for a decade. I've gotten up to 200 miles per application on the MTB. The yellow, about half that, but it can get 200+ on a road bike in a cleaner environment.

Only drawback is if it is applied too often, it can get a little residue build-up, which is easy to clean.

I haven't used anything else in the last decade. When used properly (which is easy) Dumonde Tech will keep the drive train clean and ready to roll. I never clean cassette or pulley wheels. Very rarely will I have to clean a narrow-wide chainring.

Very reputable shop I used to wrench at turned me on to it - used it for rental and client tunes. Since, I have switched two shops to the product for both rentals and tune-ups.

Some folks just don't like it. Not sure why. I have had excellent results with a modified version of the manufacturer's application recommendation. When I hear the drivetrain drying out, I wipe the chain with a rag, then apply a thin stream to the chain while backpedaling. It works out close to 1 drop per link. Wipe off excess. Go ride until the chain sounds dry again. Repeat. I'd probably get more miles out of an application with 1 drop per link, but who has time for that?

I can't even look at another chain lube...ugh. (haha)
    I dont do bikes but i asked and took a pic cause i wasnt gonna remember but
    we use that in our 4 store rental fleet
    and our techs say its worthy
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

This is really what you want. Talk to me for details. http://www.purpleextreme.com/epu.html

I use purple extreme as well. Pretty great for chains, der pivots. Not great in cables but I just use pro gold for that.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Definitely gonna try some of that, on paper it is EXACTLY what I am looking for.

Interesting. Switched to Dumonde tech years ago because of my local shop. I think my (now) local shop uses it as well.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I have used Squirt for a long time on the recommendation of a bike shop owner, very happy with the results, it lasts a long time (or at least a lot longer than Prolink Gold, which is what I was using). Pretty expensive though.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Interesting. Switched to Dumonde tech years ago because of my local shop. I think my (now) local shop uses it as well.
    I switched all of my bikes to Dumonde Tech Light last fall, and haven’t been super happy with the results.
    It’s better than PLG, but gets dirty fairly quickly. Creates very black oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    I switched from Dumonde tech to Boeshield T9 years ago and won't go back. It's cheaper, and lasts way way longer, especially here in the PNW. It's way cleaner too.
    The T9 works pretty well, especially if you don't like to wait until the drivetrain is "dry". I keep a small bottle in my pack for "emergencies". I haven't seen it work as well as the blue Dumonde Tech when applied per their directions. The T9 is handy for all kinds of other gear lube scenarios, too.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I switched all of my bikes to Dumonde Tech Light last fall, and haven’t been super happy with the results.
    I have seen this happen with the lite version, and only use the blue stuff. It will happen with the blue stuff, too, if it is over-applied.

One thing I like about squirt is that you don't have to worry too much about over lubing. Once you've done the initial application you just periodically apply over whatever is there. no need for deep cleaning, degreasing, etc. What I don't like is that it attracts more dust than I saw with Dumonde light.

Heads up don't let squirt freeze or it thickens up too much to penetrate the chain, I e-mailed squirt and buddy got back to me in <24hrs to just add some water cuz its wax in water and the water evaporates off

I think if I was maintaining a bunch of bikes I would just pro-gold pivots/chains/cables ... everything in site

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

I think if I was maintaining a bunch of bikes I would just pro-gold pivots/chains/cables ... everything in site
    Yeah, I guess if you like scraping off sludge...

Yeah ProGold is good on those things for sure but wears too quickly on chains.

So the trick is to let it dry but you knew that. Actually the real trick is to run it a ride or two past when it needed to be relubed, it will dry out big time and no black oily residue. It might sound like a flock of small birds chasing you but the chain will be clean I've been using the dark colored DuMonde stuff for a long time and unless I use the bike while the chain is still wet from lubing it's actually very clean, that 20 minute dry time after application is critical.

That said, this new EP Ultra from Bike Medicine is incredible, as good as Purple Extreme was this stuff is amazing. As good as Pro Gold is/was this stuff is that much better.

Yeah, I guess if you like scraping off sludge...
    they are rental bikes ... hit em with the power wash