Salt Lakers... Where to buy lumber for deck?

Home despot is an option. Deck is not huge. 12'x8ft. I'd like to buy wood tomorrow morning and knock the majority of it out tomorrow.
    Trex and composite is nice, but expensive. Redwood is nice but expensive. Do deck surface boards need to be pressure treated? I was going to use pressure treated for the joists and perimeter boards. For actual deck surface, can I just go with pine 2x6 and stain it? Whatever wood I install will be stained to waterproof.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200523_173400.jpeg 
Views:	70 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	329446

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

BMC in Kamas is good.
    There is Sutherland's in the valley, but I have not used them.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I've heard good things about MacBeath Lumber. They came recommended to me when I was pricing out my deck. But I sold that house instead of undertaking the renovations.

I would definitely go pressure treated for the joists and posts. For the deck boards, I've seen Brazilian Ipe on newer stuff. It seems like it wears better than pine. I'd price it out and see if it's worth your while.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Don't use PT for the decking, those splinters infect badly.

PT is for ground contact or places that don't see much sun/are damp.

Trex is just OK. It retains heat and gets hot to walk on.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I wouldn't do trex here unless the deck is shaded well. Shit gets hot in direct sun.

Dont all you dentists use teak? Especially ones with a stable of cars and lives in the hills? /Joke

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

We have an old deck, about 16 x 16, likely with doug fir decking and the usual PT joists and rim as well as PT stair treads (it's only 2' off the ground). Cascade foothills where it's wet.

The deck gets painted every summer, August usually, and it's hanging in there, likely 40 years old. It's a full day job or 2 half days. It's a pain, but the deck is still solid and looks good.

We have another place that needs a small deck and we will likely go ipe there. But ipe is a pain because you have to drill, it won't take nails. But you don't have to paint it. Ipe is expensive.

Cedar is another option if you don't want to paint every summer, but it will decay without some love.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Home despot is an option. Deck is not huge. 12'x8ft. I'd like to buy wood tomorrow morning and knock the majority of it out tomorrow.
    Trex and composite is nice, but expensive. Redwood is nice but expensive. Do deck surface boards need to be pressure treated? I was going to use pressure treated for the joists and perimeter boards. For actual deck surface, can I just go with pine 2x6 and stain it? Whatever wood I install will be stained to waterproof.

Name:	IMG_20200523_173400.jpeg 
Views:	70 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	329446

sent from Utah.

https://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standa...Guide-1804.pdf

I think all the good lumber stores are closed until Tuesday. I can't imagine financially buying supplies at Macbeath for a deck, but that place is rad. I bet Tuco will recommend Burton Lumber?

I've always wondered, do deck or fencing pros buy lumber same-day as install day from HD that is inevitably sopping wet and not wait for it to dry? And if so, surface boards or joists, etc? I've had some fencing seriously warp on me after install and presumably installing too quick. And I waited a week or so.

Also, the Lowes on 1300 S is wayyyyy more mellow than any HD in SLC. I I'm sure any Lowes gets packed on a holiday weekend mid-day though. But that Lowes before 10am on a weekday is quite empty.

I got a treated 1 x 5 deck with rounded board edges and have never done shit to it in 10 yars and its older than that, the deck is small enough that the boards are all 1 piece SO the deck boards are full length with no seams and i think that makes it look a lot better and be less problem
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I forgot about macbeath. I've bought some nice veneered wood for a project there before. Sutherland's in rose park is sort of a ghetto home depot.
    I do sort of like that Lowe's on 1300s. And I pretty much know where everything is there. Maybe Lowe's is the place.
    So if I buy wood tomorrow, then I should let it sit a while eh, go biking with the boy instead of install...
    I will do pressure treated for ground contact and for perimeter and joists.
    For salt lake, this particular spot gets a lot of shade, and is hit by sprinklers in a few spots.
    That is a good guide. I will be reading. But I am basically recreating what was already there, and had rottted out after 15 years of poor maintenance.

Name:	IMG_20200523_121014.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	329490

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

I have used the sikkens stain. It’s held up well.

Deck framing lumber does not have to acclimate.

Get to work!

Just remember the new shit loves to eat/corrode fasteners.

You can’t use plain pine for deck boards. Evar

Plastic is hot. Pine is splintery. Ipe ain’t cheap but it’s forever. Just don’t install it without ipe clips. The shitty plastic clips don’t work.
    . . .