Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I treated myself to some Jimmy Chin/Stance merino wool socks last year. They cost too much, but fuck are they sweeet. Hard to go back now. I've been a big fan of Stance for many years for skateboarding socks. You just can't beat 'em. But the skate socks are all cotton-poly.

The Darn tuffs are on deck after the Jimmy Chin's stink out. Love them also. Comfy, warm, reasonably priced and that warranty! (although i have not yet had to use it).

Have a few pairs of bridgedale that are fine, i use them mostly on uber cold days.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Don't be sucked in to buying the merino wool hiking ones at Costco, they kinda suck, even though they're 1/4 the price it's not worth the savings.
    I actually love these. I have Darn Tough, Smartwool, Ice Breaker, but still wear Costco merino socks most days. I don't think they're what the OP wants, as they aren't particularly thin, nor are they "techy" with as much spandex in particular zones, but they avoid getting smelly better than any of my other brands and the minimal seams make them comfortable, so I like them for everyday wear. They aren't as durable as darn toughs, but I get a few years out of them and I'm satisfied with that.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I actually love these. I have Darn Tough, Smartwool, Ice Breaker, but still wear Costco merino socks most days. I don't think they're what the OP wants, as they aren't particularly thin, nor are they "techy" with as much spandex in particular zones, but they avoid getting smelly better than any of my other brands and the minimal seams make them comfortable, so I like them for everyday wear. They aren't as durable as darn toughs, but I get a few years out of them and I'm satisfied with that.
    interesting. I think they suck because they do not stay up, the elastic doesn't keep them in place. they're perfectly comfy (thickish as you say) and I have no data re wear or stink, but they are permanently relegated to lounging socks (vs hiking or other activity) because they do not stay in place for me.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

interesting. I think they suck because they do not stay up, the elastic doesn't keep them in place. they're perfectly comfy (thickish as you say) and I have no data re wear or stink, but they are permanently relegated to lounging socks (vs hiking or other activity) because they do not stay in place for me.
    Huh. My feet are near the upper limit of their suggested sizing and my ankles are fairly thin/straight, so maybe that lets them stay up for me. I wear them around and to work most days unless I'm really dressed up. I've hiked in them hundreds of times. I run in them when it's chilly. I've even played basketball in them a number of times (albeit due to forgetfulness). Never had much trouble with them coming down or the elastic giving out.

I do think that they sometimes stretch a bit if you wear them over multiple days due to their lower elastic content, but I still don't notice it much after I have them on. Still, I might not choose them as expedition socks. Though two summers ago, I chose a pair of Smartwools for the job instead on this logic and had bad blisters after the first day, so who knows. I have seen some inconsistencies across time with them. Some pairs have seemed to have shrunk more. And they don't last as long as Darn Toughs. They're just too soft with too high a wool/elastic ratio. But i can afford to spend 12-24 dollars a year to keep my sock rotation fresh, so I don't really mind.

Anyway, like I said, they're not the ultimate sock and I don't think that they're what the OP is looking for. I've just had pretty good experiences with them overall and have had a lot.

Darn Tough ski socks are darn short on me. The so-called over the calf go only mid calf and then slip down inside my boots.

Darn tough warranty is irie mon
    The guy I dealt with in Vancouver is named Rasta.
    First 2 pairs were far too tigh on my calves. Size medium.
    So I exchanged them for something with less merino but more lycra.

There are still tight so I'm streching out the calf potion on a tube. I hope it works otherwise they are gonzo.
    Smallwood thin or thick has been my go to but I wanted to try a sock guaranteed for life. I like that.
    Last edited by Kenny Satch; 05-28-2020 at 08:53 AM.

Don't be sucked in to buying the merino wool hiking ones at Costco, they kinda suck, even though they're 1/4 the price it's not worth the savings.
    The Costco socks aren't near the quality of Smartwool or Darn Tough, but I've used them for years for kicking around the house in winter and doing yardwork and I think they're a great value for that sort of thing. They fit me well and are very comfortable, but they don't look very good and they wear out sooner. I've had very good luck with Smartwool. I've got some Darn Tough that I like but haven't had long enough to judge durability. There's a newer line of socks called Cloudline that also have a lifetime guarantee-no questions asked policy. I like their socks, but only time will tell if they hold up well.

I don’t see the Kirkland merino wool socks in the Costco website right now. Is it a seasonal item?

I don't understand the love for Darn Tough. In my experience the fit is awful. I have tried 3 or 4 different models and they only ones that were OK were the mid weight hikers. They all seem to wear out way quicker than other socks I have had, and I have had little motivation to try the warranty because the fit is so bad...

I generally buy the cheap hikers at MEC or REI and those seem the best value. For ski socks I will pay big bucks - Fox River had some awesome ones but they seem hard to find now. I bought a couple very dear pairs of Brigedales last winter, and they fit really well. We will see how they hold up, but I like them so far.

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    I don't understand the love for Darn Tough. In my experience the fit is awful.
    "To be fair"
    I was thinking the same thing when I got my first 2 pair. I thought maybe the first one I tried was miss labelled or a mistake. By the forth one I knew this wasn't so darn good.
    I bought them for only $16 eh dollars a pair so I figured I'd give them a try.
    Next time I'll get off my ass and go to MEC.
    Some things are better tried on.
    It's a darn tough reality.

^ ^ ^ Try the light cushion weight Darn Toughs. Thinner is better, more stable, less likely to creep. If you need to fill up volume, where a liner. If you need more warmth, wear 2 pairs of light cushion DTs.

My go-tos: Darn Tough light cushion weight for hiking and mountaineering -- over Fox River synthetic liners for long trips. Darn Tough RFL (ultralight) wool for lift skiing. Darn Tough RFL-T (synthetic ultralight) for ski touring, although I wish the RFL-T's were a bit thinner for spring/summer skiing.

Costco SW knockoff sox suck mostly cuz they don't stay put. Genuine Smartwool aint much better.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Costco SW knockoff sox suck mostly cuz they don't stay put.
    Glad someone agrees, I was starting to think I was crazy when I said that upthread and a few people disagreed.

I only have 2 pair of Darn Tough, they're fairly lightweight just over the ankle socks that I use for running or biking, got them as a gift and have no idea what model or price. But they are easily my favorite socks in that rotation, very comfy and show no signs of wear.

Maybe there are hudge differences in sock style, or maybe differences in feet make a hudge difference in sock comfort. :shrug:
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

While I don't think they're quite as nice as SmartWool, I've been very happy with the Lorpen socks I've picked up from the Clymb. On sale, the value proposition is pretty good, IMO, and the quality overall has been comparable (I'd just put my favorite SmartWool socks a notch or two above the Lorpens, but I can't stomach the price for a single pair of SmartWool ski socks).

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    ^ ^ ^ Try the light cushion weight Darn Toughs. Thinner is better, more stable, less likely to creep.
    The guy that was helping me out with the exchange suggested ^this but they didn't have any in the Canadian warehouse size medium.
    I should've waited
    Last edited by Kenny Satch; 05-28-2020 at 11:19 PM.
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure