Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wool socks - 2020 edition

I need to replace most of my wool socks (smart wool): very thin ski, lighter summer weight, medium weight, and thick “mountaineering” weight. All mid-calf or higher. I think my fiscally focused best options are icebreaker or bridgedale or STP. I’m aware of darn tough. I believe that icebreaker carries the same type of warranty.

What say the mags?

I've been digging these. They say lightweight but are more mid weight.

https://www.firstlite.com/products/mercury-sock

$21 per sock?

Fuck that. I want three pair for that price.
    These aint hand knitted by virgins.
    They get cranked out by the sock robot machine
    . . .

I wouldn’t be paying that ^^ much

Icebreaker ultralight is my favorite

Darn Tough. Made in Vermont with a lifetime guarantee. Worth every penny b

Can't go wrong with Icebreaker, Smartwool or Darn Tough. Also, I wear Stance for hiking around
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Darn Tough. Made in Vermont with a lifetime guarantee. Worth every penny b
    How can a sock have a lifetime warranty?

Is there a cumstain clause?
    . . .

Smartwool does. If you bring them to a smart wool store with holes, they will give you a new pair. I think that you can send them in (clean) too
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Point6 is another to look at, it was started by the Smartwool founders and has similar quality. Check STP, SAC, etc. for sales. Lots of deals on ski socks this time of year if you're not too picky about color/design. Check women's socks as well, usually the sizes are one larger so women's L = men's M.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    How can a sock have a lifetime warranty?

Is there a cumstain clause?
    I haven’t worn out q pair but Mrs P has an arch that just beats socks to death. She’s mailed in two pair to Northfield and received replacements without question.

Agree with Darn Tough, also had the Bridgedale and good but not quite as good, Smartwool perhaps in between.

Honestly, what is arguably equally important is how you wash them. Machine wash on delicate and then worth buying a $20 drying rack on Amazon. I do that with all ski baselayers, including Micol's, and they remain pretty new-looking.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Can’t go wrong with either Smartwool or DarnTough.......I do SW to ski...DT for everyday.

Wool socks - 2020 edition

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Can't go wrong with Icebreaker, Smartwool or Darn Tough. Also, I wear Stance for hiking around
    I’ve given up on smartwool. I bought a large set of various smartwool socks in the late 90’s (along with 2 pairs of bridgedale). They lasted over 15 years of regular use. I refreshed my stash 5 years ago and they are all toast (I air dry my woolens).

The bridgedale socks are still doing fine (after 20 years) and do not show wear and tear. They’re not itchy or anything, but they are not very “soft” feeling, which could be a symptom of their durability.

Smartwool sucks compared to Darn Tough, I will never go back. SW last me about 1 year max while Darn almost never wear out, every once in a while I wear the Darn fabric thin and they just send me a new pair!
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!

they are fucking socks so buy which ever are on sale and try not to lose one of them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Ummm, no. They aren't just "fucking socks."

My Smartwools from STP from 10 years ago still rock but I might want to start prepping. Ultra thin, no seams, stretchy. Can't find them in any stores at all. And it's really hard to understand what's available online. They all have cushing and seams in the descriptions.

STP used to sell 100% silk liner socks with no seams. I still have one pair. Those things rule, but they deteriorate. So I only use them on cold days when I know my feet will be dry. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    they are fucking socks so buy which ever are on sale and try not to lose one of them
    So you're not going to join us on the "which boxers to buy?" TGR thread?

I actually agree a little with this if the price is right. In the past, I've seen seconds on Sierra go for $5 and at that point it's just worth buying a bunch and letting them wear irrespective of make.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

I got all those brands already listed actulay they are just socks but you do wana buy good ones

I stock up when I see them on sale and i havea lot of them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Don't be sucked in to buying the merino wool hiking ones at Costco, they kinda suck, even though they're 1/4 the price it's not worth the savings.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Darn Tough is my go-to for skiing and daily use (RFL Ultralite, Breakaway) and I'm not inclined to change. Point6 has been excellent as well, but smaller sample size. Shout out to LeBent for the best "feel" (Merino and rayon) but their ultra thin isn't all that thin. None of them are cheap, but all can be found on sale.

I don't know if they make socks thin enough for skiing but Wigwam thick wool socks have lasted me for an incredibly long time

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I agree that smart wool quality has gone to shit.

Darn tough is the best way to go. My son worked in glacier all last summer and hammered through a bunch of pairs, they replaced about 10 pairs for him no questions asked. They also have some lightweight wool white summer socks that are awesome.

I’m vicious on socks and sorry for the echo up in here but... Darn Tough. I’ve tried a lot - used to have running pro deals - and I’d still be going DT for comfort even if they didn’t last 3x everything else. I have wicked bony, narrow feet which work hard to ruin socks in the heel and pad. I can actually wear through their hikers but it takes hundreds and hundreds of wears, washings and miles. Never warranteed any because I felt I got great value.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Don't be sucked in to buying the merino wool hiking ones at Costco, they kinda suck, even though they're 1/4 the price it's not worth the savings.

Cabelas makes a decent full-cushioned boot sock for, like, $17 for 3pr. They also carry a rebranded line of InGenius socks they put on sale occasionally.

Socks [loom and yarn technologies] have come a long way in the last 20 years.