Who's making mtn bike trails on their property

Just wondering if anyone else has a trail "system" on their property? I just finished the first loop around my 2 acres (mostly wooded), it's close to a 1/4mile has a good downhill and a semi difficult up. Already seeing some options for various connector trails, and considering moving dirt for berms in a few tricky spots. Then onto features, log crawls and maybe some wood bridges/berms. It's got pretty good flow now.

So who else? Any tips?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Virginia mags. This a the project of a friend of mine. He owned a pigment factory/mine that made colors for wood stains and crayons, etc., sold it to a public company, kept this land in VA. and turned it into mountain bike trails.

https://www.southwesttimes.com/2015/...develop-trail/
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Me. Just 1 loop through part of our mostly flat 5+ acres of woods.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

This is my dream someday. I assume you follow Seth's Bike Hacks on Youtube? With everything he's doing on his new property, definitely a lot of tips and ideas there.

Share some pics of what you've got so far. Just curious, I'm jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    This is my dream someday. I assume you follow Seth's Bike Hacks on Youtube? With everything he's doing on his new property, definitely a lot of tips and ideas there.

Share some pics of what you've got so far. Just curious, I'm jealous.
    I'll post some pics soon. Raining now. I did a lot of raking out of underbrush yesterday to get the dirt underneath turned up before today's rain. Still got some raking to do especially on the traditional loop hill (you can go on reverse but the shale hill climb might be brutal). The hill is all grass and way to slick to climb easy now.

It will be a work in progress.

I wish my yard was big enough to make it really worth it. I had a skills course at one time and could do another but I'd have to get really creative (stoned) to spend more than 20 minutes lapping the small space.

Thanks for starting the thread. I look forward to seeing ideas and what others have done.

It’s definitely a plan for an acre portion on my property. I have long term idea for some draining swales on my dirt driveway (drainage is currently towards the garage), that would be easiest completed with a small rental excavator. I’ve always thought that while I have the excavator, might as well built up some berms. Currently, in the tree thinning phase of things, which has been a 5-yr long effort.

My next door neighbor has 30 acres and has developed some of it as a dirt bike course. It gets used a few times a year as a course that’s part of a vets support system. He used a small tire loader to create the system. Unfortunately, he’s not the best/friendliest neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Thanks for starting the thread. I look forward to seeing ideas and what others have done.

It’s definitely a plan for an acre portion on my property. I have long term idea for some draining swales on my dirt driveway (drainage is currently towards the garage), that would be easiest completed with a small rental excavator. I’ve always thought that while I have the excavator, might as well built up some berms. Currently, in the tree thinning phase of things, which has been a 5-yr long effort.

My next door neighbor has 30 acres and has developed some of it as a dirt bike course. It gets used a few times a year as a course that’s part of a vets support system. He used a small tire loader to create the system. Unfortunately, he’s not the best/friendliest neighbor.
    My parents have 55acres and are 5 min away, but it's flat and mostly boring. We use the quads back there. Sometimes the crazy sick Honda 350 trike. That things scary. My bro in law used to race quads so there's a stable. 4 quads 1 trike. Property is really wet though so fucking muddy as hell.

I think my little loop, with already planned variations and some berms/structure builds (I have lots of leftover lumber from house gut) it will be fun for me sometimes and kids all the time.

Have some huge fallen trees planning some log steps to get over them to add a technical feature. As kids progress will start tossing logs into trail (tons of deadfall). If kids really get into it I'll grab dad's backhoe and tear up the entire property for a park.

Looking for property to do this, while also doing some forest restoration/planting. Hoping this thread has legs!

Who's making mtn bike trails on their property

I suppose the good thing when looking for sloped hillside property is that most people are looking for flat lots. The back yard at my place here in Truckee is pretty close to a connected trail system and just steep enough to do something fun... so I’ve thought about connecting it and doing some berms and features, but I’m also not sure I want everyone leaving the main trail and going right past my back deck, which is nice and quiet / private. Hmm.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I suppose the good thing when looking for sloped hillside property is that most people are looking for flat lots. The back yard at my place here in Truckee is pretty close to a connected trail system and just steep enough to do something fun... so I’ve thought about connecting it and doing some berms and features, but I’m also not sure I want everyone leaving the main trail and going right past my back deck, which is nice and quiet / private. Hmm.
    Thankfully no connecting here just variations of the main loop I've designed. We have a weirdly placed staircase that will be put to use eventually. Again pics to follow tomorrow.

We built shitloads of trail on your property. One day we might show it to you.
    watch out for snakes

What a coinkydink! Just last night a bunch of my neighbors and I descended on a fellow neighbor who happened to have two dirt bike tracks constructed on his property. The lower one is flat with some concentric loops. The upper is on a thirty degree slope, which I didn't ride as I had consumed four or so beers. No pix of me, perhaps next time. Love my hood!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200522_185346.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	909.1 KB 
ID:	329477   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200522_180332.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	940.8 KB 
ID:	329478  
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Checking in on this, we have 8 acres but not all is rideable. Trail is designed for the kids and they love it. I’ll lost some pics, more trail building to come but 70% of the way done.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Haven't grabbed pics yet, but I walked it with gps. .23miles. nice little 1/4mile loop