Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I have dealt with mental issues in myself and people I love. I know for absolute certain I would be either dead, in jail or homeless if I hadn't gotten help a couple years ago. After many meds and many bad interactions the only that seems to work for me and allow me to function is lexapro. Been struggling lately so this is a pretty raw subject for me.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    No idea we had so many Nancys here.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I thought Karens were the problem.
    Lexapro turns Karens into Nancys. That's good isn't it.

My suggestion--everyone deal with their own shit and stop worrying about how other people deal with theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post
    I have dealt with mental issues in myself and people I love. I know for absolute certain I would be either dead, in jail or homeless if I hadn't gotten help a couple years ago. After many meds and many bad interactions the only that seems to work for me and allow me to function is lexapro. Been struggling lately so this is a pretty raw subject for me.
    Hang tough bro.
    Good to hear lexipro is helping.
    I could use something. Just not trusting the big pharma.
    The shit they hand out like candy is mushrooms and acid.
    Fucking fucks fucking with my brain.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    My suggestion--everyone deal with their own shit and stop worrying about how other people deal with theirs.

New here?

Welcome to TGR.

Right lane is for passing.

In my case, depression is the bodies reaction to stress. It can only handle so much. I take cymbalta every day to control depression. Want to get off but WAY too much stress in my life right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I’m interested in micro dosing.

It might work.

I can’t leave my skull again. I might not come back.

But a tinge of alternate reality might set me straight.
    Isn't that why we leave our skulls? In the hopes that we might never come back? Asking for a friend.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Why are so many people struggling nowadays?

I dunno, maybe the fact we’ve been in never ending wars for decades, even people with good jobs struggle to get by with the ever increasing cost of living and healthcare, we watch as corporations and politicians fuck over the Everyman and are basically powerless to stop it.

“ God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables, slaves with white collars, advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of the history man, no purpose or place, we have no Great war, no Great depression, our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives, we've been all raised by television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars, but we won't and we're slowly learning that fact. and we're very very pissed off.”

I’ve clearly struggled over my life. Currently in one of those more struggling than not periods. Lexapro has helped for sure. Less stress would certainly help...

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Isn't that why we leave our skulls? In the hopes that we might never come back? Asking for a friend.
    It's all fun and games, unless it is not for fun or games, then nobody involved has fun when the games begin.
    Bunny Don't Surf

My SSRI experience was ~12 months. It was helpful in boosting the emotional lows, but it took off the top of all the highs. That wasn't a sacrifice I was willing to make, so life changes were made, controllable stresses were managed or even eliminated, and the pills eventually went in the trash. To me, that was the only long term solution.

Also:
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 05-22-2020 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Lol

I was a teenage depressed freak.
    Still am

It’s not stress. It’s thinking too much.
    Not saying my life has no stress. It does. But that’s easy compared to thinking ahead to the end game.
    . . .

Have never taken anything.

Is there a drug that makes you feel things more? Had some dark times in my life and now I don't feel much of anything at all. I'm not looking to turn off negative emotions, I'm just trying to feel any emotions at all. Everything is buried and locked away in a vault and I lost the access codes a long time ago. Whatever defense mechanism I have against negative emotionshas cut off post positive emotions as well.

The only thing that has kinda sorta helped is shrooms. I feel/process emotions during a trip and then feel great for 3-5 days after a trip. Feels like I've let out about 15% of what's been buried over 4 or so trips in the past 1.5 years.

Lol

Still am

Not saying my life has no stress. It does. But that’s easy compared to thinking ahead to the end game.
    I think that your experience sounds more like anxiety.

I’ve been lucky in life, never really have had anxiety or depression.

I started taking zoloft in 1997 when my 9YO's cancer returned. Needed something to keep me functioning for the family while we all dealt with her dying.

Stopped in 2008. As said upthread, it only puts limits on the emotional highs and lows - the grief/depression was still there. It also helps you gain weight. I've got enough scar tissue built up over the grief now that I don't need meds.

Peace to all those dealing with depression

Have you guys considered giving your life to Jeebus?

Like many of us I have concerns about the Pharmaceutical Industrial Complex but it seems like a good thing to have many chemistries available so that the right fit with your brain chemistry can hopefully be found.

Paxil, FTW.
    Or I guess you could try Scientology.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Lol

Still am

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I think that your experience sounds more like anxiety.
    That is how it was explained to me. Anxiety is present or forward looking, depression is present or backward looking. Nobody should ever tell you you can't suffer from both. I have suffered both at the same time but anxiety drove the whole bus of emotions for me, depression was just an unwelcome passenger. The search for stability and non overwhelming thoughts never stops.

Good luck Core Shot!
    Bunny Don't Surf

Never taken any ADs and I have a general philosophical opposition to psychotropic drugs that don't get you high. I listened to a podcast last year where a psychiatric researcher at a highly respected medical institution (Johns Hopkins, IIRC, or somewhere on that level) who had taken ADs herself for years said that if TV ads for ADs were honest they'd show a fat person in bed not sleeping and not having sex. AFAIK, long-term use of ADs was never tested prior to FDA approval and the people taking them for years on end are definitely engaging in a big open-ended science experiment. Stuff like this definitely gives me serious pause: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/07/h...-cymbalta.html

That said, I generally defer to the rather common-sense opinion of a friend who's a psychologist and has actual clinical training in this subject: They're incredibly helpful to many people, but also massively overprescribed to people who to people who's real problem is that they need to lose weight, eat better, sleep more, get some actual exercise, get out of their toxic relationship, etc. I certainly don't judge or look down on anyone who uses them.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    I'm growing some shrooms. I think I want to give that micro dosing a try.
    AFAIK, the clinical studies that have been done using pscilocybin to treat depression have all used dosages that are decidedly macro.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Have never taken anything.

Is there a drug that makes you feel things more? Had some dark times in my life and now I don't feel much of anything at all. I'm not looking to turn off negative emotions, I'm just trying to feel any emotions at all. Everything is buried and locked away in a vault and I lost the access codes a long time ago. Whatever defense mechanism I have against negative emotionshas cut off post positive emotions as well.

The only thing that has kinda sorta helped is shrooms. I feel/process emotions during a trip and then feel great for 3-5 days after a trip. Feels like I've let out about 15% of what's been buried over 4 or so trips in the past 1.5 years.
    The clinical studies referenced above also normally use eye shades and headphones to promote an internal introspective experience. Haven't tried it myself, but people generally report going pretty deep inside their mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    I started taking zoloft in 1997 when my 9YO's cancer returned. Needed something to keep me functioning for the family while we all dealt with her dying.
    Fuuuck, I'm so sorry.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 05-22-2020 at 03:35 PM.

Life has always been hard. Think if you lived 500 years ago how fuckin brutal life was compared to today. It can still be brutal, as TBS pointed out (sorry for your loss mag), but as a white male born in this time and place, I never struggled to much.
    We are all different, so do what works for you. I honestly believe if you have a lot of love in your life from family and friends, you will be better off than those who don't. So try and make some love in your life today you crazy bastards.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

When a doctor (note that I don't possess doctors) have suggested drugs such as statins, I tell them "I only take drugs recreationally".

I'm all for' better living through chemistry', a catchphrase in my day, but sometimes its hard to see the big picture there. Like after effects or addiction.

There's strategies, but I think context rules. So if all other reasonable options have been explored, sure try the pharmaceuticals, but get lots of opinions, research them and have several professionals and friends monitor the results.

I've been lucky in my adult life and haven't had to grapple with some of the stuff other people have, like losing a child. My heart goes out to you.

I do understand depression pretty well, but I keep constructing things to manage it and so far I haven't done the pharma solution. I don't look down on people that do use the happy pill. Life is short, do what you can to make it better for others as well as yourself.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Life has always been hard. Think if you lived 500 years ago how fuckin brutal life was compared to today. It can still be brutal, as TBS pointed out (sorry for your loss mag), but as a white male born in this time and place, I never struggled to much.
    We are all different, so do what works for you. I honestly believe if you have a lot of love in your life from family and friends, you will be better off than those who don't. So try and make some love in your life today you crazy bastards.
    thats the odd thing
    If life were harder I wouldn’t have to think stupid thoughts
    Modern life is too easy. Fuck. Just kick me in the nutsack
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post
    That is how it was explained to me. Anxiety is present or forward looking, depression is present or backward looking. Nobody should ever tell you you can't suffer from both. I have suffered both at the same time but anxiety drove the whole bus of emotions for me, depression was just an unwelcome passenger. The search for stability and non overwhelming thoughts never stops.

Good luck Core Shot!
    Big hugs bro.

Happy time fun box always makes me smile.
    I’m not sure if it’s the happy time or the “fun box”
    But either way it’s a good time.
    . . .

If the complexities of everyday life are too banal or trite for you, I would recommend activities that steer you clear of thinking. Maybe, potent indica and lots of teen shows on Netflix. Soma also helps.

Perhaps volunteer at a homeless shelter. Live in urban America without a wad a cash. Foster a crack baby. There are lots of ways to complicate your life without taking pills that don't get you high.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    When a doctor (note that I don't possess doctors) have suggested drugs such as statins, I tell them "I only take drugs recreationally".

I would take SSRI's again if I ever had to go into combat. I've never experienced a complete lack of empathy or compassion like I did when I was on them. I could have hypothetically watched someone slowly feed my girlfriend into a wood chipper and I would have keenly watched and remarked "messy, but it certainly got the job done. I'm glad I got to see that at least once.," and gone on with my life as if nothing had ever happened.

So yeah, I'm staying away from that shit forever unless I'm in a situation where I've been conscripted to kill people, in which case, I'll take that callous detachment.