Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Tecnica Mach1 Thread

Doesn't appear to be any threads dedicated to the Mach1, so here goes.

Just received a pair of 2020 Mach1 130 LV, with the new anatomic shell. (I believe the MV and HV versions get the new generation shell for 2021.) Real nice product, oozes quality. Fit is typical Tecnica, which is good for my high insteps.

Been in the 2018 Cochise 120 for the last few years (and the 2016 Cochise 130 before that) and like it a lot, but thought the Mach1 might be a step up in fit and precision. The Cochise 120 is great in cold weather, but it's kinda soft on warm Spring days (168 lbs). Been adding 1/8" Bontex shims under the liner as it packs out, up to two shims now but it's getting a bit sloppy again and am about to replace the liners with Intuition Tour Wraps.

Observations:
    • The Mach1 has more instep space than expected for LV, looks like I'll still need at least one Bontex shim. Yeah I know, downsize and punch the toes out...or just get the right shell length and shim for internal height.
    • Not a fan of the velcro calf spoiler (cuts into the back of my leg), much more even pressure distribution with it removed.
    • Not sold on the new powerstrap buckle design yet (seems kinda small and not meant to be cranked really tight), but maybe it'll grow on me.
    • The bag with the cant tools and instructions includes two black plastic plugs, maybe they fill the holes if you remove the upper spine bolts to soften the flex?
    • The flex seems nice and progressive, but it's always hard to judge at room temperature. How much do polyester shells change with temp?
      (Think the 2017 Cochise 130 was all polyether, the 120 was a PU clog with Triax 3 cuff, and the ZeroG Guide Pro was all Triax 3.)

Come on winter 2021.

Also, any truth to the rumor that Tecnica might have a 1kg grape-smuggling boot for 2021 or 2022?

it's not just Tecnica, every manufacturer's low volume boot has a higher instep these days (and they aren't really that narrow, either). Did you try on an Atomic Hawx Ultra, for instance? Even the newest iterations of traditional "snug instep" LV lasts like Lange RS/RX LV and Salomon S/Max are taller in the instep because even though the tight instep boot may work for 20% of the population, the rest of the people just move on after 30 seconds of having their foot crushed in the shop.

The "PE" shell is not polyester, it's polyurethane-ether (usually referred to by the marketing people as "polyether"), and so exhibits most of the same stability as other high-end alpine boot plastics - meaning it does get softer in warm temperatures, but the Mach 1 130 LV starts out significantly stiffer than the Cochise 120 to begin with. It definitely is stouter and fits closer to the foot in the navicular area than the Cochise. Zero G Guide Pro was Triax 3.0 the first season, then went to Grilamid.

Tecnica Mach1 Thread

As I understand the 2021 MV has some shell innovations from the Zero G, something to do with limiting deformation as the boot flexes as I remember.

I ski the current cochise 130, tempted to try the Mach 1 MV and see if I get a little performance bump as I don’t tour in the cochise and always forget the walk mode anyway when I’m on the patio for apres.

^ Yeah, that's why I picked up the Mach1. Don't foresee touring in the Cochise much anymore now that I have ZeroG Tour, so why not go full alpine.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    ^ Yeah, that's why I picked up the Mach1. Don't foresee touring in the Cochise much anymore now that I have ZeroG Tour, so why not go full alpine.
    Pretty much my thinking, too. I do my winter touring in the ZG Tour Pro (and used the ZG Guide Pro and Hawx Ultra XTD for a season each as my single boot quiver), but there's nothing like a pure alpine boot for lift skiing. I've got a very wide foot and was able to make the Mach 1 130 LV fit fine. My other go-to is the Lange RS 130 when the parking lot isn't too icy.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    As I understand the 2021 MV has some shell innovations from the Zero G, something to do with limiting deformation as the boot flexes as I remember.
    There is a carbon spine on the Men's MV boots called "T-Drive." It is not shaped like a "T" but is bolted to the cuff with two rivets and the shell with one. They are introducing it on the MV this season, and adding it to other lasts in the future.

I’ve skied the Cochise 130 (bright orange version) for years and now have also used a Mach1 130 LV for a year as well. There’s a definite performance bump although not massive—the gap between my XTD130s and Cochises is way bigger than the Cochise to Mach1.

Fit is similar to the Cochise, just a bit narrower. If you fit in one, you can make the other work.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Wonder why the new 130 LV doesn't have T-Drive? You'd think they'd put the flashy carbon bits on the flagship.

I think the LV got a update to a more anatomical shape quite recently, don’t think it is changing for 2021. The MV was quite boxy due an update to a better shape and they have t drive sitting on the shelf. I’m guessing it’s just an update cycle thing.

As I understand it, the 2020 130 and 120 LV got the new generation design first, then the MV and the HV get the new shape in 2021. Maybe the T-Drive is a separate project and wasn't ready when they rolled out the new gen LV.

Or maybe T-Drive is more bling than function, and the LV just doesn't need it.

As I understand it, the 2020 130 and 120 LV got the new generation design first, then the MV and the HV get the new shape in 2021. Maybe the T-Drive is a separate project and wasn't ready when they rolled out the new gen LV.

Or maybe T-Drive is more bling than function, and the LV just doesn't need it.
    Yeah I guess that is what I was trying to say!! Makes sense as the heel area of the new t drive MV looks like the LV. I guessing it’s really not much of a game changer. Benefit to me as I see it is getting a bit more consistent flex over temperature changes.

Wonder why the new 130 LV doesn't have T-Drive? You'd think they'd put the flashy carbon bits on the flagship.
    T-drive is new for 20/21 and only on the MV for this season. The LV Mach series was redone 19/20. It does look like they should be able to adapt it easily though.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I have previous gen 130 LV. The plugs are for the spine screw holes. I take the screws in and out--out in the winter, in in the spring. The plugs are lost, gorilla tape works. I can't remember how many Bontex shims I have in them, more than one for sure. I prefer the spoilers out unless it's groomer conditions. They're the only boots I've ever had where the top buckle is not in the tightest possible condition. Hard to imagine someone has skinnier calves than I do. I replace the power strap with a Booster Strap. Love the boots. They're anatomic enough for me.

Anyone know if the 2020 Mach1 LV 130 is truly stiffer than the LV 120, or is it just a better liner and color (and price) difference?
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 01-23-2021 at 06:06 PM.

??

19/20 was the first year of the new Mach LV in all flexes.

20/21 is really no different.

Well that was an utterly brain dead moment for me, just corrected my post, lol.

Anyone know if the 2020 Mach1 LV 130 is truly stiffer than the LV 120, or is it just a liner and color (and price) difference?
    the 2020 lv 120 is super stiff at room temp. stiffer than my lange rx 130s. i wouldn't be surprised if it's the same plastic as the 130.

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    the 2020 lv 120 is super stiff at room temp. stiffer than my lange rx 130s. i wouldn't be surprised if it's the same plastic as the 130.
    It’s not the same plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    It’s not the same plastic.
    and there's your answer, 1000-oaks

Very tempted still by some 130 MV’s to test against my 130 Cochise.

Very tempted still by some 130 MV’s to test against my 130 Cochise.
    What size? I have a pair of 26.5s that I haven't skied much that I'm probably going to cut loose.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    What size? I have a pair of 26.5s that I haven't skied much that I'm probably going to cut loose.
    26.5! New T-Drive version?

26.5! New T-Drive version?
    No, 2018 model year IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    No, 2018 model year IIRC.
    Ok thanks. I’d be looking for the T Drive. Because come on it certainly waaaaaay different