Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Ya, I am not sure it would be possible to cover the freeway with an avalanche down the line they skied. It has to cross the access road, and then there is the structure at the entrance of the tunnel that would block debris from getting to the actual freeway. The access road is open to the public, but normally only used by maintenance workers who would (hopefully) be smart enough to not hang out along the road any longer than necessary.

Name:  highway.png
Views: 291
Size:  390.5 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (19)_LI.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	344994

I can't think of too many snowsheds protecting US roads from avalanches. The only one that covers a freeway comes to mind is the one recently completed on I-90 East of Alpental ski area. In Europe, building a crazy road or train through the mountains is considered an engineering achievement where as in the US, it would be considered an environmental travesty.

Name:	Screenshot (20).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	414.2 KB 
ID:	344995

If they go to trial, the jury will only be from Summit County, CO, so most likeley skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Ya, I am not sure it would be possible to cover the freeway with an avalanche down the line they skied. It has to cross the access road, and then there is the structure at the entrance of the tunnel that would block debris from getting to the actual freeway. The access road is open to the public, but normally only used by maintenance workers who would (hopefully) be smart enough to not hang out along the road any longer than necessary.

Name:  highway.png
Views: 291
Size:  390.5 KB

Name:	Screenshot (19)_LI.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	344994

I can't think of too many snowsheds protecting US roads from avalanches. The only one that covers a freeway comes to mind is the one recently completed on I-90 East of Alpental ski area. In Europe, building a crazy road or train through the mountains is considered an engineering achievement where as in the US, it would be considered an environmental travesty.

Name:	Screenshot (20).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	414.2 KB 
ID:	344995

If they go to trial, the jury will only be from Summit County, CO, so most likeley skiers.
    There’s no snow sheds on I90 anymore there’s a new wildlife crossing but that isn’t near a slide zone
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

My mistake, there was a snowshed there but they instead raised the freeway up so that slides would go under the freeway rather than over.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    My mistake, there was a snowshed there but they instead raised the freeway up so that slides would go under the freeway rather than over.
    Their plan was to build them but during construction the bean counters figured out the cost of building and maintaining the fire suppression systems for the snow sheds would cost more than building the bridges
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

There are snowsheds on highways 550 and 160 in Colorado (but those are not interstates).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    There are snowsheds on highways 550 and 160 in Colorado (but those are not interstates).
    The one on 160 is where most of the auto accidents happen, horrible design.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    You answered your own question -- Europe vs US.

But just for a little more context, they didn't bury a highway. The buried a service road that serves a highway. And it took a big slide to do that. To my knowledge, the highway itself has never been directly impacted by anything sliding in this area.
    Avalanches have definitely buried the highway from the south facing slidepaths near the tunnel on the west side, don't have a link handy but have seen it in the report before. I'm not aware of the highway having been buried from the westerly aspects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

Snowboarders cited for triggering avalanche at Eisenhower tunnel

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Avalanches have definitely buried the highway from the south facing slidepaths near the tunnel on the west side, don't have a link handy but have seen it in the report before. I'm not aware of the highway having been buried from the westerly aspects.
    yeah 2 (edit: maybe 3? idk time has no meaning anymore) seasons ago during that wild historic avalanche cycle weren’t there a few slides that hit 70? I think the road was closed for control work but still. also maybe a different road, I was observing from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    yeah 2 (edit: maybe 3? idk time has no meaning anymore) seasons ago during that wild historic avalanche cycle weren’t there a few slides that hit 70? I think the road was closed for control work but still. also maybe a different road, I was observing from a distance
    I don't recall ones at the tunnel burying the highway 2 years ago, but there were definitely some crazy slides that did that, not all that far away.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    The one on 160 is where most of the auto accidents happen, horrible design.
    Fun fact (well, not really fun, but...). Quite a few years ago, a couple of friends were riding WC backcountry, one of them had been there before (with me). He was trying to ride the stuff we had hit before, where you come back out to 160 well below the snow shed, by (IIRC) MM 171. Well, they got well off track and almost got caught in a slide (they have video), and came out right at the snow shed. Which he described as a "tunnel". I don't think they realized that they were skiing a line that slides so much that CDOT built a snow shed (I know they didn't realize that). I have not ridden backcountry with either of them since, lol.