Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    If at all possible, avoid driving through West Texas in August, Stay as far North as you can get. Maybe consider taking the Trans-Canada Highway.

Bmills, you missed my point. You are white. If you still aren't sure what I'm getting at, flip the script. See Ahmaud Arbery thread.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Bmills, you missed my point. You are white. If you still aren't sure what I'm getting at, flip the script. See Ahmaud Arbery thread.
    Not at all man, I heard ya. Black people would for sure have concerns that I don’t but not so much on my route from what I could see. I’m in the minority down here. Traveling backroads and state routes through the rural South, I’m in their towns where they have lived for generations, eating at their places, staying at their bnb‘s and inns. Interacting with their black cops, mayors and pastors (hell, that’s who we asked for food recs in most of these places) Treat people how you would want to be treated is the m.o.

Sure you may run into racist rednecks too, but I’ve met the same assholes in Eugene, Oregon; Buffalo, New York; and Stamford, Connecticut. You smile at them when they open their mouths and let it be known their ignorance, bless their little hearts and leave them where you found em, only to live a sad life.

While we’re on this tangent I’ll tell you a tale about the first time I moved down south permanently. We were coming from Cincinnati (ragingly racist) and Portland Oregon at the time (white knight racist) and we were blown the fuck away when we saw groups of people going out, black and white (and Latin and Asian) and not just a token of either here or there, but just people hanging out being people at way higher ratios than we’d ever seen. Is it that way in Brunswick, GA? From what my Savannah dentist buddies tell me it is, but that doesn’t mean you don’t get horrible, awful, rage-worthy travesties like Mr Aubrey. Shine a light on the cockroaches when you find em like all those pieces of shit and in the meantime keep on with the rule I posted above. Ymmv, but I’m living it here.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Not at all man, I heard ya. Black people would for sure have concerns that I don’t but not so much on my route from what I could see. I’m in the minority down here. Traveling backroads and state routes through the rural South, I’m in their towns where they have lived for generations, eating at their places, staying at their bnb‘s and inns. Interacting with their black cops, mayors and pastors (hell, that’s who we asked for food recs in most of these places) Treat people how you would want to be treated is the m.o.

Sure you may run into racist rednecks too, but I’ve met the same assholes in Eugene, Oregon; Buffalo, New York; and Stamford, Connecticut. You smile at them when they open their mouths and let it be known their ignorance, bless their little hearts and leave them where you found em, only to live a sad life.

While we’re on this tangent I’ll tell you a tale about the first time I moved down south permanently. We were coming from Cincinnati (ragingly racist) and Portland Oregon at the time (white knight racist) and we were blown the fuck away when we saw groups of people going out, black and white (and Latin and Asian) and not just a token of either here or there, but just people hanging out being people at way higher ratios than we’d ever seen. Is it that way in Brunswick, GA? From what my Savanna dentist buddies tell me it is, but that doesn’t mean you don’t get horrible, awful, rage-worthy travesties like Mr Aubrey. Shine a light on the cockroaches when you find em like all those pieces of shit and in the meantime keep on with the rule I posted above. Ymmv, but I’m living it here.
    I had that same revelation as a kid living in the North in places like Springfield Mass and Bellevue Wa. We used to think white people in the South were all racist. But we lived in pretty much all-white neighborhoods. When I visited my cousins who lived in Birmingham Alabama, I was a little surprised to see that their next door neighbors were black, and in fact that whole block on one side was black. And this was back in the early 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Buster: This sounds really good. Thanks!
    It seems that it only turns a 39 hr. trip into a 40-41 trip (where and when I stop may add a lot of time though)
    Yeah, well, you said you had lots of time and that slide up out of Chama is very, very cool.

I can't really put my finger on it, but I've done the drive from Silverton to Albuquerque 10 times or so and I'm always taken by how unique that stretch is.

Wolf Creek Pass is no slacker for views either.

There's a Thai restaurant up E. of Pagosa in a strip mall that kills it.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Stay on 64 and a few miles before you cross the Rio Grande gorge, you'll pass the Earthship compound where Ram Dass hangs out sometimes. Checking out those domiciles is very cool.

Drive a couple of miles to walk the Rio Grande Gorge bridge.

A couple more miles and you're in Taos. Or turn South to Santa Fe.

I usually dirtbag it at the Abominable Snowmansion with a good bar and Mex restaurant next door in Arroyo Seco, on the way from Taos to Taos Ski Valley. Lots of high end boutique hotels all over from Taos to Santa Fe.
    Brings back good memories, wifey and I would always have a few cocktails at Abe's in Seco after skiing c. 1990 when my folks lived in Taos. A walk along the west rim was always good to find petroglyphs and points on the mesa. And had some very good outdoor sexytime out that way which is always a plus.

And as always, if you act like an asshole, people all over will invariably treat you like an asshole.

Be curious, gracious, appreciative and thankful, and the whole world will open up to you, no matter where you are.

Damn, I miss Anthony Bourdain.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    AnnaMaria Island huh? I lived in Bradenton Beach in 87-88 and man, that was where all the white crackheads lived. There and Cortez. Because Oneco was full on urban warfare. Handful of murders in the 6mos I was there within a block of my apartment on BB. Some woman killed (kilt) her husband with a freaking shovel. I left and never looked back. I hear its had some gentrification since then.
    Little bit different now. We rented a sweet house in AMI week of June 15th. I'll dig up some photos. Mac Daddy pad for low $$ due to the 'rona.
    AMI is super high dollar now. Bradenton not so much, but getting there. Plenty of shovel deaths still, I imagine.

While we’re on this tangent I’ll tell you a tale about the first time I moved down south permanently. We were coming from Cincinnati (ragingly racist) and Portland Oregon at the time (white knight racist) and we were blown the fuck away when we saw groups of people going out, black and white (and Latin and Asian) and not just a token of either here or there, but just people hanging out being people at way higher ratios than we’d ever seen. Is it that way in Brunswick, GA? From what my Savannah dentist buddies tell me it is, but that doesn’t mean you don’t get horrible, awful, rage-worthy travesties like Mr Aubrey. Shine a light on the cockroaches when you find em like all those pieces of shit and in the meantime keep on with the rule I posted above. Ymmv, but I’m living it here.
    It was a one line snarky comment but now you've ruined it.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Keep trying. No one up north will ever believe us. Brunswick is not a nice place by any standards. It is just a place you have to go through to get from Jax to Savannah or Charleston/ Hilton Head. The smell from the paper mill in Brunswick alone would keep you away.

It was a one line snarky comment but now you've ruined it.
    Perhaps we can rename this thread "Danno tried to racebait and gets put in his place by Bmills?"

Going South out of Granite after Indy Pass, stay on 285 going South out of Salida, then veer off towards Del Norte and up over Wolf Creek Pass down into Pagosa Springs. Lots of good food there and the hot springs, which will hopefully be open.

Then head down 84 to 64, through Chama and over to Tres Piedras. There's something super cool about that section of road, winding up grassy savannahs into copses of Pine and clusters of lakes. Very remote and high, unique, atmospheric and gorgeous.

Stay on 64 and a few miles before you cross the Rio Grande gorge, you'll pass the Earthship compound where Ram Dass hangs out sometimes. Checking out those domiciles is very cool.

Drive a couple of miles to walk the Rio Grande Gorge bridge.

A couple more miles and you're in Taos. Or turn South to Santa Fe.

I usually dirtbag it at the Abominable Snowmansion with a good bar and Mex restaurant next door in Arroyo Seco, on the way from Taos to Taos Ski Valley. Lots of high end boutique hotels all over from Taos to Santa Fe.
    A quick drive by of Petaca for the scenery in addition and this sounds perfect.

I've known Danno for 20 years and he is the master og kike nigga Bronx Boi.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Perhaps we can rename this thread "Danno tried to racebait and gets put in his place by Bmills?"
    Jesus Christ

Anna maria not same as bradenton. Plus It's changed a bit in the 33 years since you were a local . When entry point is north of a million it tends to weed out the trashy crack heads.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    AnnaMaria Island huh? I lived in Bradenton Beach .
    "Can't you see..."

Do we know if the OP is white?
    I re-red the kool aid acid test a few months ago, had forgotten about when the bus stopped at the segregated beach. Hysterical.
    "Can't you see..."

dude are you insane? that must have taken weeks.

US and State Routes from Hilton Head - Chas
    "Can't you see..."

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    ca ching
    almost as good as the lou reed broku
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Anna maria not same as bradenton. Plus It's changed a bit in the 33 years since you were a local . When entry point is north of a million it tends to weed out the trashy crack heads.
    Oh, I definitely wasn't a local. 18 yo kid from VT. Surrounded by Florida Man. That said, I met a few cool locals.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    dude are you insane? that must have taken weeks.
    It was a day or two over two and a half weeks all said and done. We had a new to us car and time to kill before we both were starting new jobs. The only places we stayed with family was HHI, Chas (IoP), and 30a.

In hindsight I should’ve hit up Bobby S in Nashvegas.

This thread got me and the lady reminiscing about that trip last night over cocktails. It was so damn fun.

One of the most fun things we did on that loop was hit up every minor league baseball game we could. That and eating. So much awesome food.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Little bit different now. We rented a sweet house in AMI week of June 15th. I'll dig up some photos. Mac Daddy pad for low $$ due to the 'rona.
    AMI is super high dollar now. Bradenton not so much, but getting there. Plenty of shovel deaths still, I imagine.
    I worked on Longboat Key. Different world on the other side of the bridge. I worked at Harry's Continental Kitchens. Harry is a character.

What I am thinking right now:
    Day 1) Afternoon and night in Aspen
    Day 2-3) Taos
    Day 4) Shreveport
    Days 5-6) Destin
    Day 7-15) Coral Gables
    Day 16-17) Savannah
    Day 18) Memphis
    Day 19) Vail
    Day 20) Park City

Otherwise, on the way home, I will just visit a relative in Dandridge, TN for a couple of days, then drive as far as I can (maybe Denver, then home)
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

There's a Thai restaurant up E. of Pagosa in a strip mall that kills it.
    QFT. We always hit that up when coming back from NM.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    take 40 back turn off at maybell
    stop at ladore cg and then back thru dino/jenson and the np hq/quarry or back 191 thru dj and fg rec area
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

The south is still a shithole populated largely my reprehensible people. It's a shame Sherman didn't have more time to fuck more of that place up. I firmly believe we should have let them secede to Mexico had a shithole country in North America that it could look down upon.

That being said, white supremacy's 21st century home is undoubtedly the PNW. So many of the same cookie-cutter, inbred, fat-faced repugnant white people out here it's morbidly fascinating. I can't take a trip to the store without wondering if there is a secret breeding program out here to create the stupidest looking, roundest faced white people. Maybe some master race reverse psychology. Or their plan backfired after successive generations of incestuous breeding.