Self Install Leather Seat Kits for Car/Pickup

Been doing some used pickup shopping and to get the basic model is about $5,000 less than to get lowest end model with leather. I would really like leather seats but I don't want to have to pay for all the other bells and whistles. I did some shopping on self install leather kits and they seem to cost around $1,000 which would save some significant money. Anyone have any experience with these leather seat kits? Thoughts?

https://www.leatherseats.com

Sounds like you have it 0 in pretty close. My passenger seat got fucking toasted from the window being open in a rain storm, so shopping for leather seats, I have seen about $1k to $1,500 for the two front seats. I would pay to have them installed, so hopefully $2k all in.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

You might call McDowells on Fairview to see what they would charge.

Call Touch Ups Auto they carry Katzkin for by far the cheapest. Most current model rigs are around $600 for the top line leather. Then YouTube how to install yourself-not that hard

Step 3: big profit

I've self-installed the Katzkin kits on a couple of cars, and my son has followed my bad example of believing DIY of most "simple" things is the way to go, and has ordered a kit for his Honda Civic, so I think I have one more on the horizon.

It's really not all that hard for the seats themselves. Removing the seats and being careful if they have internal airbags (the Katzkin kits have tear-away seams for seats this), was the part that was most concerning to me initially, but ended up not being a big deal in practice. The only tips I'd give is to check out the videos, go slow, and leave the leather out in the sun for a bit to make it more pliable when you're installing.

I found that some the trim pieces are a lot of effort for what they are. You might have to remove the entire center console for instance, or disassemble a door for a small trim piece on a handle. On at least one car, I just didn't bother installing a couple of these accent pieces, because it didn't seem worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Been doing some used pickup shopping and to get the basic model is about $5,000 less than to get lowest end model with leather. I would really like leather seats but I don't want to have to pay for all the other bells and whistles. I did some shopping on self install leather kits and they seem to cost around $1,000 which would save some significant money. Anyone have any experience with these leather seat kits? Thoughts?

https://www.leatherseats.com
    Instead of the aftermarket stuff, just find a junkyard with a wrecked truck with the leather interior and buy the seats and whatever other interior parts make it match. That way you get factory look and it's way cheaper. I picked up leather (and heated) seats to replace the cloth seats in my wife's car - front and back plus all the wiring, relays, and switches for the heated seats was less than $200. Junkyard charged a flat-rate $55 per seat (two front seats, one back bench), plus they eyeballed the pile of relays, switches, and lights from the seat heater system and called that another $35.

Quote Originally Posted by back bowl View Post
    Instead of the aftermarket stuff, just find a junkyard with a wrecked truck with the leather interior and buy the seats and whatever other interior parts make it match. That way you get factory look and it's way cheaper. I picked up leather (and heated) seats to replace the cloth seats in my wife's car - front and back plus all the wiring, relays, and switches for the heated seats was less than $200. Junkyard charged a flat-rate $55 per seat (two front seats, one back bench), plus they eyeballed the pile of relays, switches, and lights from the seat heater system and called that another $35.
    Most junkyards will want way more for late model seats in good condition. Quick search for an f150 in my area shows $200 as a minimum with many of those having airbag deployed.

Check out clazzio.com. Most options aren't real leather but have the look and feel of factory seats. They fit very tight over the existing seats. Price is decent and you can get coupon codes on various forums like the tacoma forum below. The only models that come close to $1k are the real nappa leather. Otherwise you should pay about half that. Clazzio seems to focus on trucks so they should have something for whatever you end up buying - you can check for availability on their site. I bought a set and have been very happy with them.

Plenty of pics of installed covers here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...14702/page-228

Thanks for everyone's replies. Good idea on checking out a junk yard, its at least worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Check out clazzio.com. Most options aren't real leather but have the look and feel of factory seats. They fit very tight over the existing seats. Price is decent and you can get coupon codes on various forums like the tacoma forum below. The only models that come close to $1k are the real nappa leather. Otherwise you should pay about half that. Clazzio seems to focus on trucks so they should have something for whatever you end up buying - you can check for availability on their site. I bought a set and have been very happy with them.

Plenty of pics of installed covers here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...14702/page-228
    Hmm, this is pretty interesting. I've always thought of seat covers that look terrible and fit really loose but these do not look like that. Look pretty high quality and good fit. Do you know how much the coupon codes usually give you off?

Had a pitbull that would burrow i. Sofas and car seats. My x had an escalade. Had a similar kit installed i think price was 3k including new carpet and door panels. Fit and finish was about 95 out 100. Not a job i would want to DiY

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

I found two 1 man shops that do my truck seat repairs for work. They are way better and way cheaper at it than me.

I have redone my lazy boy twice, two dining room chair sets and a bunch of chairs for my kids, so its not like I'm afraid to do it or don't have the tools/skills.

Do you know how much the coupon codes usually give you off?
    There is a code available on the Taco forum that gives you $100 off a price above $500 (I think) or 10% off below that. I'm sure there are other codes out there. I went big and got custom (black/black with blue thread) and embroidered headrests. So I used a coupon that gave free embroidery.

These seat covers definitely do not look terrible, and they fit tight as possible - installation isn't difficult but there is definitely some tugging to get them on.

Depending where you are you could probably post up in that thread and ask if anyone in your area has them installed that you could check out in person.

Name:  22254-2.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  289.4 KB
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post

About to pull the trigger on these covers. Did you end up going with the PVC or "leather"? I found a code for $100 off kits of $599 or more so the leather would be $500 and the leather would be $400. Wondering if the leather is worth the extra $100.
    Last edited by brundo; 07-07-2020 at 09:47 AM.

Pleather doesn't breathe all that well IME. My ass gets hot in my BMW's "leatherette" seat in the summer, even with AC full blast. YMMV

About to pull the trigger on these covers. Did you end up going with the PVC or "leather"? I found a code for $100 off kits of $599 or more so the leather would be $500 and the leather would be $400. Wondering if the leather is worth the extra $100.
    I went with the "leather". Black on black with blue stitching, and took free embroidered headrests as a coupon rather than $100 off. I'll try to remember and get a pic later. They look pretty awesome.