Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Freezers

Freezers

So with the food supply being a bit on the iffy side lately I'm gonna buy a freezer. I had been thinking about it for a while already, we have a couple of drawer-type freezers here and I am sort of continually amazed at how little they hold. But now there's more incentive to act.

The primary question is chest-type vs. upright. We had a couple upright freezers when I was growing up, they seemed decent enough. Friends had the chest ones, it always seemed to me like shit got lost in there and ended up getting thrown out after being frozen for years. But the chest ones are more energy-efficient. But if you save energy but waste food...that calculus is beyond my meager math skills. Help a brutha out.

The secondary question is brand/model. If you have had a notably good or bad experience with a brand or model please share.

Username irony?

No recommendations to add. Subscribed.

I am looking for a fridge/freezer in the traditional top/bottom configuration where the freezer is the larger section and the fridge is the smaller top section. For the garage. Beers up top, meat down low...

Vacseal is a must for the freezer game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Username irony?
    I should know, right? But I don't.

I recently purchased a Kenmore seven cubic feet chest unit from the local Sears outlet. Floor model. It was the only freezer I could find within a one hundred miles from home. It's really too big for my long-term food storage requirements
    ( 3.5-5 CF would have been nice), but I can always store a dead hooker in it should the need arise. Only owned this since late February of this year, so I'm unable to comment on its longevity.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I am looking for a fridge/freezer in the traditional top/bottom configuration where the freezer is the larger section and the fridge is the smaller top section. For the garage. Beers up top, meat down low...
    are those even a thing?

I bought a GE chest freezer at Home Depot 8 years ago and it's great. It's small, probably about the smallest model made, but it was a good deal. It holds a deer and an elk and other misc. meat. The best thing about a small freezer is you can't bury stuff down so far that you never dig it out and eat it. Personallly, I feel strongly that if an animal died to feed me and my family, I'm not going to waste any meat, so once a year I clean it out and if there's any meat I don't want or is getting too old (2 years max), I donate it to the food bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    I recently purchased a Kenmore seven cubic feet chest unit from the local Sears outlet. Floor model. It was the only freezer I could find within a one hundred miles from home. It's really too big for my long-term food storage requirements
    ( 3.5-5 CF would have been nice), but I can always store a dead hooker in it should the need arise. Only owned this since late February of this year, so I'm unable to comment on its longevity.
    Fill the empty space with water filled milk jugs. It’s more efficient when you open the door.
    Plus they are great for cooler ice.
    . . .

If you live where it isn't humid, i'd suggest an old school upright with each shelf that is also a cooling cool. They're not frostless, and need to be melted out every 3 or 4 years. Think they last longer, and don't dry stuff out like a frostless.

Have a White-Westinghouse that is almost 30 years old, and still kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I bought a GE chest freezer at Home Depot 8 years ago and it's great. It's small, probably about the smallest model made, but it was a good deal. It holds a deer and an elk and other misc. meat. The best thing about a small freezer is you can't bury stuff down so far that you never dig it out and eat it. Personallly, I feel strongly that if an animal died to feed me and my family, I'm not going to waste any meat, so once a year I clean it out and if there's any meat I don't want or is getting too old (2 years max), I donate it to the food bank.
    Solid take. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    ...i'd suggest an old school upright with each shelf that is also a cooling cool.
    I have no idea what that means. Cooling "coil" maybe? The shelves have cooling elements? Confusimicated.

I don't think White-Westinghouse is a going concern. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I have no idea what that means. Cooling "coil" maybe? The shelves have cooling elements? Confusimicated.

I don't think White-Westinghouse is a going concern. I could be wrong.
    Yes, back in the day, shelves were built in cooling cools. Great for freezing quickly. Not so good for frost buildup.

Think college dorm fridge. The bottom shelf of the freezer is a coil. And it don’t work well outside of the desert dry environ.

Good luck finding one. Lots of demand.
    I was going to buy one last few years, but since the covid I just use the spare fridge in the garage.
    . . .

"Koolin' Kool" is a great name for a rapper.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Not positive you're correct

Freezer + Iceman = Otzi
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

We've got a 12cf and a 16 chest freezers, both kenmore. The smaller one is about 20yrs old, the larger about 8. They are not self defrosting, so food doesn't get burnt nearly as fast as an upright. Organization, with cardboard boxes with handles work great, also the wife found some ikea storage bins that fit really well. A bit more than a year's worth of meat (fish, game, pork, bit of beef left) in the larger, and the smaller has a year of sunday soup, frozen berries, and veggies. The 12cf was easy to negotiate down the stairwell and through various doors by myself when I moved into this house; the 16cf needed a new basement door installed (but installed for other reasons first) and a straight shot to its resting place. Any spare space is filled with 2 and 4 litre milk jugs filled with water.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Any spare space is filled with 2 and 4 litre milk jugs filled with water.
    Thanks in general but that's specifically smart and I dig it.

They are perfect for putting in the marine coolers for going for a trip the big city shopping, trip to the cabin, or whatever. And if the power goes out while we are not home, those full freezers go a full 16hrs without anything turning soft. Don't forget the coin on top of the ice on a small container - you'll know instantly upon returning from vacation if the power went out for any significant period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Don't forget the coin on top of the ice on a small container - you'll know instantly upon returning from vacation if the power went out for any significant period of time.
    I was skeptical of this threads usefulness, but it delivers!

Ziplock of ice cubes another option.

Might be buying part of a cow. Just gonna get the 5cuft one with high ratings and low cost and fairly small. Hope it fits.

BCMH dropping the useful knowledge in this thread!

A few years ago we were going to replace the garage fridge with a small chest freezer, but then we'd lose the garage refrigerator. Instead, bought a side by side style fridge which had a larger freezer space than the old fridge.

If you have space for a chest freezer and a fridge, that's nice to have both.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

s
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Ziplock of ice cubes another option.
    An ice cube in a bowl or glass works perfect. If you can remember.

So, not perfect for me.

Freezers

I grew up with a big chest freezer and have an upright now. Whatever efficiency gained from a chest is lost digging through it to find stuff. I prefer the upright. We’re in it a lot, so easily being able to access stuff is nice. Much easier to keep organized and you’re not burying things every time you add new items.

My thaw warning is a small clear bottle I fill 1/4 with water and lay it on its side to freeze, then set upright in the freezer.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.