Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Freezers

depends on how long I are without power. the longer it stays off the hungrier I get.

plus, it cost alot to replace the frozen shit you have to throw out if it done thaws out.

Upright for sure. Bigger and you can see everything you have. I've had two different chest freezers and eventually went to an energy star rated upright. It's the tits.

We've had chest freezers forever.

We thaw them every 4 or 5 years. Refreeze with blocks of ice from the store that get removed as we use up space. We've had the same one for 14 years now, not sure which make.

I think it's kind of fun to lose stuff and discover it again, an archeology. I found a package of quail I'd forgotten about and grilled up those puppies after a soak in orange juice and herbs.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

pressure canning
    watch out for snakes

Freezers

No issues with freezer burn and with an annual half cow and half pig filling it every spring, we’ve done plenty of testing. I just rendered a bunch of two year old leaf lard and it tastes great. Power was out for a week after the derecho. 2-3 hours of generator time/day, and minimal opening, and it was fine. I think chest freezer owners have to make up scary stories to justify their annoying freezer.

I remember reading that you should avoid auto defrost. Don’t remember why. Ours has to be nearing 40 years old. Definitely no auto defrost. It’s been hooked up in my house for ten years and never been defrosted nor cleaned. Never had an issue with ice buildup.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Just picked up this little guy from Costco, our first freezer not attached to the refrigerator. 7 cubic feet but for $160 why not?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200520_112846.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	329128

I searched and our 10 cf Whirlpool chest freezer has been discontinued but they do make slightly larger units that look exactly the same and have baskets. I'd recommend just based on our experience of flawless performance over the last 12 years or so

Anyone claiming to go more than 4-5 years without defrosting does not live where there is humidity.

Upright non defrosting units are definitely a better choice than upright defrosting units. But for obvious reasons the chest is the best choice unless you're a Nancy or Kathy but using those words to describe someone who doesn't want to bend over for his favorite meat is a whole other thread.

Is your chest defrosting or non?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Is your chest defrosting or non?
    Non. Don't even look at anything that defrosts. Defrosting freezers are good for people that cycle food through them quickly (ie 3 months or less), not for long term storage.

Yeah I was just reading and it doesn't seem like chest defrosting freezers are even a thing anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post

Anyone claiming to go more than 4-5 years without defrosting does not live where there is humidity.
    From your fingers to mother nature's ears (eyes?). I wish. Ticks and humidity are the only two things that make me second guess living here.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    From your fingers to mother nature's ears. I wish. Ticks and humidity are the only two things that make me second guess living here.
    Lol. Really. Do you run the ac 365 days a year? Tell me again how long you have gone without defrosting so I don't have to search the post. We keep our freezer in the basement so the humidity is always a bit higher than the rest of the house.

We bought it from a neighbor for cheap right after we moved in, so roughly 10 years without an unplug or shut-down. It's always full, so maybe that has something to do with it? It lives in our unconditioned basement. It's generally cooler down there but gets up into the low 80s when it's really hot, and it stays humid cause no AC.

My meathead kids invariably fail to get it completely shut from time to time, and some frost will build up around the opening, but that's just a matter of flinging it onto the floor while I curse my kids. Never had any real buildup.

ETA: Even if we did have to defrost, I'd own an upright. Our experience with a chest proved to me that a) we're not organized enough to not lose shit in the bottom and b) I'm too lazy to go digging for stuff I know is in there and c) any flat surface gets covered with crap, making the chest the world's most annoying table. Chests are definitely more efficient, and generally cost less to buy, but I chose convenience. To each their own.

We tried to buy a freezer a month ago and everything was out of stock.

any flat surface gets covered with crap, making the chest the world's most annoying table.
    Ugh, this is a big problem, but for me belongs in the "I love my wife but..." thread.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

From your fingers to mother nature's ears (eyes?). I wish. Ticks and humidity are the only two things that make me second guess living here.
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club????
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

so if you got a 30 yr old anything how much energy is it using ?

say its a beer fridge, you might be using so much power to cool a couple of beer so run the figures

you could sell that fridge to someone like you who doesnt know any better and buy a new energy star appliance with the money you will save over 5 or 10 years and have a purty new appliance

you know why appliances are white ?

matches the wedding dress
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-20-2020 at 03:15 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    I bought a chest style way back when, and converted it into a beer fridge using a Johnson Controls unit that used a temp monitor that you placed in the unit. You drilled a hole, stuck the probe into the bottom of the freezer, and then siliconed the hole. The plug from the freezer plugged into the unit, and the unit plugged into the house receptacle. You just dialed the temp you wanted and it turned the compressor on and off. Cheap $200 giant beer fridge that could always be used as a freezer if needed. Yes, I gained 20 lbs.

Bought another cheap one at HD and it went bad with 3 hogs and various grouper, snapper, and bait in it. The light was lit, indicating it was fine. One day the garage smelled a little, like the kids left a sammich or milk in the car. Day 2, a little worse. This went on for a week. I finally got really curious, opened the freezer, and BAM. Like a kick to the face.

The bait was BY FAR the worst part of cleanup. Everything else was vacuum sealed in its own self contained horror chamber. The bait was just in a box, and there was a ton of it. Frozen (not anymore) sardines, UGHHH.
    I timed it just right- waited for all the neighbors to be gone, rolled it out, threw on my full respirator, and opened the freezer door. JUST as my neighbor opened his garage door, right next to me. I hear his wife say, " What's THAT smell???!!!".
    I apologized profusely, promised I would bring the wife and kids over later, you know, to prove I wasn't disposing of them, and went to work. Brutal. Even in the open Jeep triple bagged, it smelled for days. Still haunts me.

So, even if the light is lit, check that thing every once in a while.
    Tears n my eyes. That’s awesome.
    . . .

"Self contained horror chamber" is pretty epic.

I just can’t, in good conscience, let this thread continue on without stating,

#icemanfreezeshismeatinjeans

Freezers

We have a whirlpool 19 cu ft upright and a Frigidaire 25 cu ft chest. Upright is for anything but meat. All meat goes in the chest. I prefer the chest personally. Far easier to organize especially with larger cuts. The upright is divided with doors 2/3 lower 1/3 top. Top can be freezer or fridge. We run both as freezer.

I don’t care for the upright, when you close the bottom, the pressure changes and the top opens and vice versa. Door gets slammed shut and whoosh the other door goes open and no one notices. Have added locking clasps with carabiners on the doors and they still get magically left open and eventually ripped off. Shockingly, we have never had the door on the chest left open and lost all its contents. The upright...approaching double digits

Your resident assistants have all moved out of the house by now so you should be good with either.

The real question is what would DD do? He clearly has the expertise when it comes to frozen meats.

I've just started looking at freezers too. I was hoping to find an upright with manual defrost, but models like this are few and far between. There is a 14 cu ft Frigidaire (model FFFU14M1QW), but it seems to be unobtanium. A number of appliance selling sites list it as discontinued, and it doesn't even show up on the Frigidaire website, although Home Depot seems to list it for sale if only you could enter the correct zip code for availability (mine doesn't work). There are also a couple of smaller uprights in the 5-7 cu ft range, but I think I want something around 14-17.

Wirecutter has a guide on upright freezers. I always take their recommendations with a grain of salt because they label their choice as "Best" or "Best for most people", and as this thread has shown, people have different preferences and criteria. That said, they do describe their criteria and include more objective data on the models than most product pages, so it's worth taking a look. Consumer Reports has an online guide behind a paywall; I can get the magazine articles online via our local library, but there isn't a recent print article that seems to correspond to their website rankings.

Finally, most uprights are sold out online, though sites like abt.com and bestbuy will at least show you when they expect to have some models available (which ranges from June - August on the models I've checked).

If anyone comes across any manual defrost uprights I've missed, that seem to be available (even at a future date), I'd love to see them.

On Consumer Reports the top two manual defrost uprights are both Frigidaire models. There's a few other ones rated but they are rted quite a bit lower.

FFFU06M1TW
    FFFU17M1QW

The main difference between those two seems to be the size.

The one Frigidaire you mentioned is among those ranked lower. There's also a couple Kenmores and an Insignia that are also ranked low.

Buddy of mine bought a property that the negligent previous old owner didnt vacate when he was supposed to, some freezers were left with fish, the power had gone off at some point so they just took the freezers out to the dump I seem to remeber they found a 2 ton flat deck with a crane
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

We had to load the folks two full 6ft freezers out to the dump after they were evacuated for a month due to the forest fires. It was a sad, sad day thinking about the waste. What was worse was when one of them popped open while loading it on the dolly. All most launched my lunch at the smell. A lot of duc tape was used after that.