Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Freezers

We have a 7cf upright and a 7cf chest; much prefer the upright, although it less efficient (so I’m told, no real-world data). Upright takes up less space, and is way easier to dig around in.

you open the door on an upright and all the cold air falls on the ground and the freezer has to be re-colded if that is a word
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

^^^ True, but it’s only once every few days, and it’s not open long. I doubt it takes long to re-cold to previous levels.

A chest freezer can be purchased with a locking lid. Just in case that hooker wakes up and all...

along with the TV I inherited moms chest freezer, its a small one so it hardly takes up more room than an upright

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Might be buying part of a cow. Just gonna get the 5cuft one with high ratings and low cost and fairly small. Hope it fits.
    We bought this Haier 5cuft a few years back for $160 from Walmart. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Haier-5-0...M23NW/49136531

It’s been great for two people and is the perfect size: not too big that you’re compelled to fill it up with stuff you might struggle to then use. We don’t have any meat/game to store, but it holds 30lbs of filleted salmon, loaves of homemade bread and plenty of Costco packs of frozen berries, shrimp, etc.

Light enough that I can move and clean it easily and fits in our small carport storage space

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

We have a 7cuft chest freezer. It was cheap and I guess it's efficient. That said, if you can afford it (and we all know that you're a baller and can), upright is the way to go. The chest is annoying AF, and good shit gets buried on the bottom.

Also, someone mentioned it upthread, but if you don't have a vacuum sealer, get one, because it is pretty important for long term storage of food in the freezer.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    but I can always store a dead hooker in it should the need arise.
    And this is all the info any of us really need.......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    And this is all the info any of us really need.......
    well, we would need to know whether hacksaw is required to do so.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    well, we would need to know whether hacksaw is required to do so.
    Bonesaw?
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

I've pretty much decided to go with an upright one, saving floor space and avoiding having shit languish at the bottom of a chest type seems bigger than the energy cost. If there's some basis to decide on which one to get I'd be interested to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I've pretty much decided to go with an upright one, saving floor space and avoiding having shit languish at the bottom of a chest type seems bigger than the energy cost. If there's some basis to decide on which one to get I'd be interested to hear it.
    The food will stay much fresher, much longer in a chest freezer. I would never get an upright under any circumstance unless you like freezer burned food that tastes like garbage for the sake of convenience. We only have to defrost our non defrosting chest freezer every few years and it is super humid here. Non defrosting means your food stays frozen solid forever. I think it is 10 cf and energy star rated. Holds a ton of food and the stuff that languishes at the bottom is still fine to eat. Mine has baskets on top that it came with and are easy to remove and we use two more baskets on the bottom so it is easy to organize and get at everything. Saves energy.

Absolutely no doubt having the freezer full of venison I harvested and other goodies has been sweet during the lockdown.

Just got this little gem at work!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200519_134849-01.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	329048
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    The food will stay much fresher, much longer in a chest freezer. I would never get an upright under any circumstance unless you like freezer burned food that tastes like garbage for the sake of convenience. We only have to defrost our non defrosting chest freezer every few years and it is super humid here. Non defrosting means your food stays frozen solid forever. I think it is 10 cf and energy star rated. Holds a ton of food and the stuff that languishes at the bottom is still fine to eat. Mine has baskets on top that it came with and are easy to remove and we use two more baskets on the bottom so it is easy to organize and get at everything. Saves energy.

Absolutely no doubt having the freezer full of venison I harvested and other goodies has been sweet during the lockdown.
    okay back to square one.

I have an old non defrosting upright that is awesome. Some friends were going to take it to the dump because they got a new one. It still works. It's probably 20 years old. I wouldn't give up on uprights.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I have an old non defrosting upright that is awesome. Some friends were going to take it to the dump because they got a new one. It still works. It's probably 20 years old. I wouldn't give up on uprights.

Agreed!

I have never had freezer burn with a manual defrost Upright.

Looking online at home depot, and a few models are upright manual defrost. Most under 10cf, which is too small for my needs, but there is one 21cf behemoth that might hold most most of a moose. Still a lot of wasted space compared to a stuffed chest, but accessibility to the goods looks fantastic. Wonder how they are for durability, and when the power goes out.

I bought a chest style way back when, and converted it into a beer fridge using a Johnson Controls unit that used a temp monitor that you placed in the unit. You drilled a hole, stuck the probe into the bottom of the freezer, and then siliconed the hole. The plug from the freezer plugged into the unit, and the unit plugged into the house receptacle. You just dialed the temp you wanted and it turned the compressor on and off. Cheap $200 giant beer fridge that could always be used as a freezer if needed. Yes, I gained 20 lbs.

Bought another cheap one at HD and it went bad with 3 hogs and various grouper, snapper, and bait in it. The light was lit, indicating it was fine. One day the garage smelled a little, like the kids left a sammich or milk in the car. Day 2, a little worse. This went on for a week. I finally got really curious, opened the freezer, and BAM. Like a kick to the face.

The bait was BY FAR the worst part of cleanup. Everything else was vacuum sealed in its own self contained horror chamber. The bait was just in a box, and there was a ton of it. Frozen (not anymore) sardines, UGHHH.
    I timed it just right- waited for all the neighbors to be gone, rolled it out, threw on my full respirator, and opened the freezer door. JUST as my neighbor opened his garage door, right next to me. I hear his wife say, " What's THAT smell???!!!".
    I apologized profusely, promised I would bring the wife and kids over later, you know, to prove I wasn't disposing of them, and went to work. Brutal. Even in the open Jeep triple bagged, it smelled for days. Still haunts me.

So, even if the light is lit, check that thing every once in a while.

Did the same with a chest freezer awhile back. Ran the lines through a wall and had tap handles over the mini bar.

they come in different sizes for depending on how many dead hookers your wana store

Her face looks like freezer burn.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    it not so much about the energy savings as it is about the conservation of energy when the power goes out. You can open a chest freezer to access it's contents many time with minimal effect on the interior ambient temperature. With an upright freezer, all that cold air you paid for falls right out the bottom every time that you open the door.

How often do you open your freezer when there is no power?