Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PSA: Refurb Garmin Fenix 5x $250

https://www.gpsnation.com/fenix-5x-s...lack-band.html

Evidently a real business with a good track record based on the slickdeals thread...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I ordered one a couple days ago. Seems like a reputable business and in my area (SF Bay). Glad to report when it arrives...

Nice watch. Good deal with the extended warranty.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The watch arrived today and appears to be in like-new condition. We'll be trail running and exploring some Oregon coast this week, and I'll check in re the functioning of the watch. I've had the 5X before - great watch - so it'll be obvious if everything is in order.

That price is insane
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

What size is it? 51 mm? Also, is it a Rest of World or Asia Pacific setup?

If these only had an altimeter....

That's a lot of watch for $250. Really dig my 6X, but damn they don't come cheap, and the 5X has most of the 6X capability.

There may be a way to save another $19: switch to CAD$. With the current exchange rate comes to $231.57 USD.

I didn't test to see if they'll allow payment in CAD while shipping to US address, but worth a try if you're going to buy it anyway.

Pro tip: make sure your CC does not charge forex fees.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkbrnblm View Post
    If these only had an altimeter....
    I think it says altimeter in the pic

It has barometric and gps alt
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Been running around some Oregon coasts and forests this week with the watch. Arrived looking brand new. Functions as if brand new.

Can't speak to the longevity of a factory refurbished watch, but in my experience, factory refurbished items often last longer than new ones (they go through more individual checks).

Pretty good map functions and color screen with the 51mm face (in response to Gunks_Jessie), and can download additional maps using the Garmin software.

In summary: crazy good deal on an excellent watch.

Oh, and it definitely has a barometric altimeter (in response to mrkbrnblm).

Quote Originally Posted by TWODIEFOUR View Post

Oh, and it definitely has a barometric altimeter (in response to mrkbrnblm).
    Well, shit! Thank you!

I bought one to replace my shitty suunto traverse. Yesterday, it arrived quickly and functioning and looking like new, minus any superfluous packaging. The interface and features are a huge step up from the suunto. The garmin the same size as the suunto, but is more comfortable. The heart rate monitor is pretty dang close (resting HR at least). The altimeter is dead on so far. The traverse drifted hundreds of feet per day, sometimes getting 1000' off before I had to recalibrate.

I don't know if this is a positive review for the garmin or if I'm just using suunto as a punching bag, but either way, the watch is great.

Goddammit! Clicking on this just cost me $250.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Worth upgrading from a Suunto Ambit 3 peak for mostly BC skiing and biking? The Peak has served me really well but this winter gave me a couple of really weird reads where my vert for the day would explode for no reason and max out at 100k. While it made me feel pretty good about myself it's annoying not to be able to know how far you've gone and how blown you should be feeling...

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    how (un)comfortable to wear is this Fenix 5x? I have a shitty lower profile Garmin Vivosport currently, which I bought to be comfortable enough to sleep in, but its OHR is so bad most of the time I'd consider upgrading to a lot more functionality with the Fenix 5x. I'm of course expecting the 5X is going to be less comfortable due to size/weight, but I'd like to hear your perspectives having actually worn one for extended periods of time thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Worth upgrading from a Suunto Ambit 3 peak for mostly BC skiing and biking? The Peak has served me really well but this winter gave me a couple of really weird reads where my vert for the day would explode for no reason and max out at 100k. While it made me feel pretty good about myself it's annoying not to be able to know how far you've gone and how blown you should be feeling...
    I upgraded from Ambit 3 sport to 5x about 2 years ago. Primary use is BC skiing, runnning/hiking/biking secondary. It's a huge upgrade overall. I actually use the mapping function a fair bit. Resting HR seems accurate, but while exercising, it is questionable. Good battery life and fast recharge. Flawless sync to phone. The 5xplus and 6x have some cool features that would be fun/useful (NFC payment, music storage, battery), but not for this price difference. One annoying thing about 5x is no dedicate BC ski mode. Just xc skiing, which has similar data fields, but could be better matched to BC ski nuances. If you are a strava-dork (like me), this also means it syncs as XC.

Quote Originally Posted by trogdortheburninator View Post
    I upgraded from Ambit 3 sport to 5x about 2 years ago. Primary use is BC skiing, runnning/hiking/biking secondary. It's a huge upgrade overall. I actually use the mapping function a fair bit. Resting HR seems accurate, but while exercising, it is questionable. Good battery life and fast recharge. Flawless sync to phone. The 5xplus and 6x have some cool features that would be fun/useful (NFC payment, music storage, battery), but not for this price difference. One annoying thing about 5x is no dedicate BC ski mode. Just xc skiing, which has similar data fields, but could be better matched to BC ski nuances. If you are a strava-dork (like me), this also means it syncs as XC.
    Thanks, I think I'll pull the trigger for my upcoming Bday. The Ambit randomly uploads as XC to Strava about every third tour despite having the dedicated mode so that won't be an issue. With Suunto phasing out Movescount and replacing it with ?? seems like a good time to make the switch. I'm finding some posts that suggest the Suunto HR belt might work with the Garmin too...

Looks like a pretty cool watch, but wondering how this would look on my girly wrist. Anybody with small wrists have one?

Edit to say that i went to slickdeals (great deal site BTW) and people are saying these things are big and heavy. I'll stick with my Fitbit Ionic which is smaller and waterproof, 2 big pluses for me.
    Last edited by JongDoe; 05-27-2020 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    Looks like a pretty cool watch, but wondering how this would look on my girly wrist. Anybody with small wrists have one?

Edit to say that i went to slickdeals (great deal site BTW) and people are saying these things are big and heavy. I'll stick with my Fitbit Ionic which is smaller and waterproof, 2 big pluses for me.
    I bought one when they were on sale at Best Buy for $300, new (not refurb), and returned it. It was huge on my small wrist.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I have medium wrists ( I think??) and I find the 5X fits well. It is a big and heavy watch but after a couple of days you don’t even notice it.

Overall I think it’s a really solid watch. The battery life is phenomenal, I maybe throw it on the charger once a week for less then an hour. I workout everyday day with it and wear it 24/7 so in my opinion that is damn impressive.

I agree the heart rate during workouts seems a little hit or miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    I have medium wrists ( I think??) and I find the 5X fits well. It is a big and heavy watch but after a couple of days you don’t even notice it.

Overall I think it’s a really solid watch. The battery life is phenomenal, I maybe throw it on the charger once a week for less then an hour. I workout everyday day with it and wear it 24/7 so in my opinion that is damn impressive.

I agree the heart rate during workouts seems a little hit or miss.

Is the HR hit or miss using the optical reader on the watch or with a chest strap? My experience with the optical reader is that it's complete garbage if your hand moves too much, or hardly at all really. That's based on my experience touring, I'm not an arm-flailer (cue Candide Thovex joke) and I get insane readings. I won't even go into the nonsense I see when mountain biking...

As far as size, it can't be bigger than an Ambit 3. All those watches are huge, they barely fit under a jacket!

Hmm. I have an old Fenix 2 that is still chugging along, but battery life is pretty lousy. This is tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Is the HR hit or miss using the optical reader on the watch or with a chest strap? My experience with the optical reader is that it's complete garbage if your hand moves too much, or hardly at all really. That's based on my experience touring, I'm not an arm-flailer (cue Candide Thovex joke) and I get insane readings. I won't even go into the nonsense I see when mountain biking...

As far as size, it can't be bigger than an Ambit 3. All those watches are huge, they barely fit under a jacket!
    I’ve only used the wrist optical sensor. I just find it is somewhat delayed.... I’ll stop a workout and feel my pulse manually then look at the watch and it’s fairly off ( lower then reality).

For biking I’ve found it a lot bigger HR wise as compared to just weight training. If I tighten it more on my wrist, it does track better.