WTB: Suunto GPS watch

Watcha got?

Check their website as they just posted some smoking deals.

Interested in an Ambit3 Peak?

Quote Originally Posted by GiantManta View Post
    Check their website as they just posted some smoking deals.
    No doubt...what are the recommended models and features for someone who hike, skis, and does a little touring?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    No doubt...what are the recommended models and features for someone who hike, skis, and does a little touring?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    I have the Suunto 9, really like it a lot for activity tracking. Skiing, biking, running, hiking all work great. I dont have any of the other peripherals, so cant comment on that. Haven't used too much of the navigation too much but it works well along with Gaia.

Why do you want to go Suunto? (For reference I have a both Suunto and Garmin devices, and use both platforms)
    In January 2019 they announced that in the Summer of 2020 they would be switching platforms from Movescount to Sports Tracker.
    It's been almost a year since they have made any updates to the current (old) platform, and the new platform is lacking a majority of the features found in the previous platform. The new Sports Tracker lacks the following feature previously available on the old platform:
    -Personal information including body metrics
    -Routes
    -POIs
    -Suunto Movies
    -Groups you belong to
    -Events that you are attending
    -Training programs
    -Suunto Apps for your watch created by the Movescount community
    -Device settings

The ability to use apps on the watches will be gone, the older watches that could connect directly to the Suunto App store will no longer have connectivity with the new platform.
    Watches released only 5 years ago no longer have any sort of connectivity (even plugged into the computer) to the new platform. The way Suunto records its data, you can't even download a file directly to your computer and export it to you given platform.
    In my opinion Suunto has shot themselves in the foot, and still have not developed fixes to these shortcomings of the new platform.