Thread: MTB body armor

MTB body armor

Anybody wear body armor?

I'd like to get a lightweight long-sleeve shirt with elbow, shoulder, chest, and back pads. I'd like to be able to wear this pedaling to 80-90*, so think super light not plate mail.

Leatt makes some cool options, but anybody have mileage using something they like??

Bonus points if you don't look like a stormtrooper in black.
    sproing!

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I've been rocking an older version of this exact vest when racing enduro. Luckily it doesn't get too hot around here. 80s is pushing it for this vest if alot of climbing is involved. Downhill/lift served you would be just fine all day. The 3DF is super comfortable and I forget I am wearing the vest most of the time.

https://www.leatt.com/shop/moto/body...-airfit22.html

I think it's a personal preference, but sleeves would probably drive me nuts. Then again I have yet to find elbow pads that work for me, so maybe I have weird arms.

Wearing any kind of upper body armor in 80+ degree temps sounds way worse than just crashing and going to the hospital.

That said, what size person are you? I have an assortment of body armor that I'd sell you for cheap.

I'm 6'. 190#, usually a size large, but only a 40-41L (narrow chest/shoulders). I mostly ride before it gets hot, but I guess I'm just going for the lightest protection I can get - other than just a long-sleeve shirt. Would love to try out whatever you got toast!

WRG, thanks for the refernece. - Leatt looks like they make some sweet stuff in this category - it's just $250 for the full shirt stuff! I dinged up my forearms and elbows 4 times last season - guess you can tell how I fall haha. Knees were padded on every ride with any significant downhill. But would love to have a shirt for feeling a bit more protected when pushing my downhill limits.
    sproing!

I have a Leatt 3df airfit lite tee that should fit you. Size L/XL. Says it'll fit up to 6'. I'm 5'9" and it was a bit big for me.

It's a tee, so no elbow protection. But it has good shoulder, chest, and spine protection, as well as some side / kidney protection.

It's in good shape. I didn't wear it much.

Not really sure what it's worth. $50 shipped?

I also have some full jacket things that I'd sell for less. But they're the old school hard plastic sort of things. Definitely bulkier.

Pic

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I have a Leatt 3df airfit lite tee that should fit you. Size L/XL. Says it'll fit up to 6'. I'm 5'9" and it was a bit big for me.

It's a tee, so no elbow protection. But it has good shoulder, chest, and spine protection, as well as some side / kidney protection.

It's in good shape. I didn't wear it much.

Not really sure what it's worth. $50 shipped?

I also have some full jacket things that I'd sell for less. But they're the old school hard plastic sort of things. Definitely bulkier.
    PM coming - thanks dude!
    sproing!

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    That's a great hookup from toast.

My vest is the same year/design and you can take layers of 3DF out or put back in pretty easily depending on how much padding you want on a certain day.