So hows that new XTR free hub holding up?

Shimano hubs have been off my radar for years....freehub fragility aint a good thing...but in the process of getting some nice wheels built up for the GF, and the newish XTR option came up in the discussion. Sylence freehub has ~50 POE, seems like an elegant alternative to the ubiquitous pawl systems out there.

?

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Shimano hubs have been off my radar for years....freehub fragility aint a good thing...but in the process of getting some nice wheels built up for the GF, and the newish XTR option came up in the discussion. Sylence freehub has ~50 POE, seems like an elegant alternative to the ubiquitous pawl systems out there.

?
    Are you talking about the completely silent version? From my understanding Shimano had problems and backed off the fully silent version. New one is not all silent but I haven't looked into it much more than that.

I just put a build together with 2020 XT wheels and the rear hub is a bit weird. When you spin the freehub slow it has the normal click. But as the RPMs increase the hub goes silent. It's weird but the internet experts say its normal. I haven't had a chance to ride the bike yet so it'll be interesting to see if the click comes and goes randomly. That seems like it would be kind of annoying.

Anyway, not sure that is helpful but I am pretty sure that if the hubs were appealing because they're quiet, that version was sent back to the drawing board and is now no longer completely quiet.

The XTRs have the Sylence ‘pulley freewheel’, no pawls. I don’t give a shit about whether the final production version was as silent as the version tested by reviewers 2 yrs ago, just trying to understand the reliability in actual use.

I have a bike with XT hubs. I am currently swapping them out after replacing the rear hub three times. I have had cone nuts fail resulting in hub failure on each. There are just to many press fit sealed bearing options out there that are bomber, to go with a ball bearing system anymore in my opinion. Of course I have had tons of Shimano hubs over the years and only this rear hub has ever given me problems. I should rephrase to clarify, only this hub has given me problems, out of all the brands I have owned.