Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Wife is pretty bummed that the Subaru no longer has a 3.6R. WTF? Any reports on the abilities of the turbos?

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Wife is pretty bummed that the Subaru no longer has a 3.6R. WTF? Any reports on the abilities of the turbos?
    Check out this forum. Loads of Intel.
    https://www.subaruoutback.org/search...st&o=relevance

I have a 3.6R and IMO they made a mistake not offering it on at least one trim. There's a cult like following with it. The new platform and the CVT's increased towing capacity would fill a gap for those that want a 6 cylinder.
    Last edited by Kenny Satch; 05-28-2020 at 08:52 AM.
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Bump. My 06 forester started overheating yesterday and the mrs. is saying she 'won't trust it' now. Kinda tired of the whole subaru song and dance to be honest. Never had issues with the tacoma or prius we've owned.

For people who have owned them - how does the rav4 stack up in snow to subaru awd? I skied 100+ days this year including driving up unplowed state highways in the dark for dawn patrol. Ran nokian hakka's on the forester and the margin of safety it adds seems like it's *almost* worth the maintenance headaches. Thoughts???

What years/cost are you looking at?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

RAV4, CRV, Subie Impreza/Crosstrek

OP returning back here. Ended up with a great deal on 2018 used RAV4 40ish K miles but CPO coverage for a long time, new tires, super clean. Happy with it, and betting on the yota reliability as a kid car to cycle through multiple students. Actually drives pretty well too; the girl and I drove it out from VA to Boulder, pretty comfortable for the long haul.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    What years/cost are you looking at?
    15k ish would rather come in around 10 but the market is effed. Prefer to pay cash for cars

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Will a pair of skis fit behind the front row of seats of a RAV4?

Remember that the CRV and RAV4 are a completely different class than an Impreza/XV. The first 2 are way bigger. Closest Subaru would be a Forester.
    Honda's AWD can be weaksauce so pay attention to that if it's an issue for you.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Will a pair of skis fit behind the front row of seats of a RAV4?
    Yeah if you ski 150s.

We gotta put the tips between the front seats or put them on top in a box.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

I have a ‘20 RAV4 with snows on it and it’s easily as good if not better than my old cross trek. Worst ice storm in PDX this year than any I can remember and never had any issues even when most others couldn’t get out of their driveways.

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    Yeah if you ski 150s.

We gotta put the tips between the front seats or put them on top in a box.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
    That’s amazing/crazy. My 2006 matrix will fit at least 192s behind the front seats with the wider second row seat down.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    That’s amazing/crazy. My 2006 matrix will fit at least 192s behind the front seats with the wider second row seat down.
    I used to bang my elbow on the tips of anything longer than 180 in my CX5.

It was a good car, but in the SUVs/CUVs that size, a bunch of the cargo volume is height. It's less useful than having the length. My gen 2 outback carried skis way better.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I used to bang my elbow on the tips of anything longer than 180 in my CX5.

It was a good car, but in the SUVs/CUVs that size, a bunch of the cargo volume is height. It's less useful than having the length. My gen 2 outback carried skis way better.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    This is crazy to me. And maybe should be a larger point of discussion in this thread.

For my smaller vehicles, the ability to put my boards in the car has always been part of the decision. My box goes on the bigger vehicle that the larger family rides in. The smaller car is usually the vehicle when solo or a smaller crew (3). Nissan Altima (gap at the arm rest of the back seat), older model legacy wagon, and matrix.

Here’s the matrix with 192cm and 184cm boards
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4771.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	376564

Pretty sure my wife can easily fit her 178's in her Rav4 with a seat down and keep the front seat upright.

She commuted all winter over Vail Pass in it and it did great. We put Nokians on it. It is also the TRD off-road version which is pretty funny but it drives nice, and she has actually taken it "Off-road" over Shrine pass to get home on a few occasions. Could make a fun little rally car with some mods.

This is crazy to me. And maybe should be a larger point of discussion in this thread.

For my smaller vehicles, the ability to put my boards in the car has always been part of the decision. My box goes on the bigger vehicle that the larger family rides in. The smaller car is usually the vehicle when solo or a smaller crew (3). Nissan Altima (gap at the arm rest of the back seat), older model legacy wagon, and matrix.

I'll add another +1 to the Matrix/Vibe. With the foldable front seat, I can fit my 190+ skis and all my gear easily. I take it a notch further and have a ski rack as well, which gives me room to sleep in my car pretty well. Great for chasing storms.

I believe the Matrix also has one of the best safety ratings, and with snow tires it kicks ass.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I would measure but mine is a first gen so probably a meaningless data point in the context of this thread. If anyone is curious I'll put a tape on it.

Thanks chup have you driven the rav in snow??

Still looking for direct a/b on a rav4 vs full time awd

Interior length concern for me is more about sleeping room for crashing at trailheads. That crosses out the new forester (and of course cross trek etc) Skis go in a box on the roof

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Thanks chup have you driven the rav in snow??

Still looking for direct a/b on a rav4 vs full time awd

Interior length concern for me is more about sleeping room for crashing at trailheads. That crosses out the new forester (and of course cross trek etc) Skis go in a box on the roof

I have limited driving time in the RAV4 in snow. We have a 2021 hybrid XLE RAV4, but it's Mrs C's mainly, and we got it only in January this year. She says no problem driving in snow, even in some of the icier days. It has the stock Firestone Destination LE tires, which seem to be wearing rather quickly. In late spring, I bought a set of barely used studded winter tires and used wheels, which will go on next winter.

Mrs C also used to have a 2009 (IIRC) Subaru Outback, 4-cyl, AT, which we kept only for about 18 months. It was underpowered, poorly built, showed signs of head gasket failure (consuming coolant), but dealer claimed nothing was wrong. That experience turned me off Subaru for life. It was fine in snow, but the RAV4 is a much better vehicle all around.

Realistically, if using winter tires, there's no meaningful difference in on road snow capability between any of the various AWD systems out there. They're all going to be fine. Any of the front drive based AWD vehicles will tend to be FWD most of the time, and with the weight over the drive wheels, plus modern computer traction and skid control, anything will work fine.

Fan boys will debate nuances of torque splits or center differentials or LSDs or blah blah rally driver YouTube video on ice skating rink... Real world winter driving, anything is fine with good tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Nobody cares that you tele.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Nobody cares that you tele.
    I’m the trailbreaker.

194s fit diagonally in my Alltrack. Agree that the tall but short CUVs are stupid.

Not much to add other than I LOVE my '21 Crosstrek with the 2.5L engine. Finally can accelerate to highway speeds without embarrassment, while being able to use the AC.

My dad recently passed away, and that leaves me with a super-low mileage 2015 RAM 1500... Kinda side glancing at the 2022 Outback Wilderness...could dump the Crosstrek (used values are SICK right now), along with the truck, and have the thing for damn near even money.... Heard on NPR that used cars have been going for 7% higher over a month ago now...
    Gravity. It's the law.

Yup. And April was 10% above March... I chose a bad time to have the subie blow up!!!

Wife pulled the trigger, and traded her 1-year-old 2020 Outback on the Geyser Blue 2022 Outback Wilderness. Damn, I'm proud of her...

I liked the look so much, it inspired me to get a pair of "more off-road-y" rims and tires for the Crosstrek. Kinda badass now!
    Gravity. It's the law.