Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

RAV4, CRV, Subie Impreza/Crosstrek

Collective: Need another car for kid drivers, say 30-60K miles used, basic reliable car that can handle winter roads, no off road or gravel. Tons of RAV4s out there, less Hondas, and there are a few Impreza hatchbacks with low miles that seem underpriced, scarily so, but are CPO.
    Leaning RAV4, still have my old Landcruiser 170K, but the Impreza seems like a lot of car for cheaper, but reliability?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I have a 2017 impreza with manual transmission. So far so good. Nothing major has broken. They do seem to burn oil a bit. Have been adding 1/4 quart of oil every month or so to keep the engine topped off. If CPO, you can always buy an extended warranty if you want peace of mind.

I have been impressed with the latest model year RAV4s, though. Rental car companies have been giving those cars to me on this past season's ski trips. Comfortable, awd, and can hold all my skis in the back. I remember when RAV4s used to be tiny little JDM "cute-utes". Now they've been embiggened to the point where they can swallow a couple of 190+cm ski bags without even really trying.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    I just sold my LC 100, and also own a T100 beater, so I get where you're coming from. I was actually looking for a Rav4 for my wife a few years ago when I stumbled into a CRV that was too good of a deal to pass up.

It's a 2010, and has been a delight to own. Hasn't required anything beyond routine maintenance. Bought it with 50k for $7000, it now has 110k and runs like the day we got it 4 years ago.
    It's the 4WD model, which means it's FWD until it slips, which engages the rear wheels. I was skeptical how this system would perform in snow, but she uses it to commute to Big Sky on the daily and never complains.
    Jane Honda, as we call her, gets 27mpg with studded snows, 29mpg with Michelin Green Xs (summer road tires). Couldn't be happier with it.

Bumping as I’m looking at Rav4 for the k8d. Like OP - I have been an LC guy entire life so hard to pull away from Toyota.

The wife digs her 2012 RAV4 and its been a great car in the 5 years we've had it. I wish we got a 6cyl but skip that for kid drivers, they are quick. Toyota didn't have a sports car in the early 2010s and the 6 cyl RAV4 was apparently their fastest 0-60 in the lineup.

How many head gasket failures have you heard of out of RAV4 or CRVs? And, same question for Subarus?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    How many head gasket failures have you heard of out of RAV4 or CRVs? And, same question for Subarus?
    This is why we have a RAV4. Sure the Subaru AWD is better, but the RAV4 with decent tires is certainly adequate. Thinking I may run dedicated snows on it next year and make it my primary LCC rig.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantManta View Post
    Bumping as I’m looking at Rav4 for the k8d. Like OP - I have been an LC guy entire life so hard to pull away from Toyota.
    Couple years ago I got rid of my cool but unreliable old truck and now I putt around in a '12 RAV4. I needed something better at long trips and besides being unbelievably generic(nicknamed 'Genny' for this trait) honestly it's been great. With snow tires it's a beast in the snow, back seat folds flat so I can dirt bag it up when needed and I've got a ski box and hitch mounted bike rack. Even tho it's a 4 cylinder it mobs down the hwy 85-95 no prob.. as long as it's fairly flat. You can't drive like a total a-hole with it but it gets the job done, lower power can be good for shit roads, I've heard the 6cylinders haul balls but can get squirrelly, especially when you get the 4 spd downshift on slick roads. The 4 speed is a little annoying but I'll just lock it into 2nd or 3rd when needed to keep it from skipping around. My parents have a newer RAV4, I think it's a '19. And the 6 speed auto does match the torque curve and drive alot better, enough to make the difference for a kid driver? I'd say nah.

RAV4 is going to be the most expensive and most reliable/ best resale.

Suby is going to be the second most expensive, have the second best resale but be the least reliable.

CRV is going to be the least expensive but close to the Toyota in reliability. Resale is going to lower than the others.

I’d go CRV cause kiddo is likely going to wrap it around a tree or stank it up with weed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

RAV4, CRV, Subie Impreza/Crosstrek

Great stuff, all posts very helpful.

Jeep Grand Cherokee

We have a '15 crosstrek. I fucking hate it. It's gutless, it's loud inside, the seats aren't very comfortable, and the CVT can die in a fire. The awd is good though.

Test drove a CRV the other day. It has all the same problems as the crosstrek, just less so. Still didn't really like it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Hood View Post
    Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Land Cruiser

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Hood View Post
    Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Land Cruiser

Pinzgauer.

/random assortment of vehicles not the subject of this thread
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I have an older awd Toyo matrix. It’s been great and suffered well through the abuse of use received in the Sierra. Mine does not burn oil. Not super powerful, but not a cvt. It’s basically an awd corolla. Pretty barebones and focus on utility. Holds 190 skis in the back with seat folded down. It’ll likely be the car that the 14 year old will be allowed to drive. More fun to drive than my older subie legacy wagon because of less body role.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    We have a '15 crosstrek. I fucking hate it. It's gutless, it's loud inside, the seats aren't very comfortable, and the CVT can die in a fire. The awd is good though.
    This. It was such a tin can on the freeway that I had a headache within the first 20 mins. Seats started to get uncomfortable after an hour. I don't miss it one bit

On the good side, it was a 2016, and the cvt was better than the earlier version, AWD was typical Subaru (really good), it got almost got 30 mpg, and the resale was pretty high. Traded it in for $1500 less than I paid new, after 1.5 years.

30-60K? Why not just buy new?
    The deals on new cars are pretty ridiculous right now and you could probably buy new for almost the same price after financing. Toyota has 0% APR (you are gonna pay 4.5-6.5% for a used auto loan), Toyota also offers 90 days no payments, $1500 cash back, etc.

That said, I'd go Rav4 all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    The deals on new cars are pretty ridiculous right now and you could probably buy new for almost the same price after financing. Toyota has 0% APR (you are gonna pay 4.5-6.5% for a used auto loan), Toyota also offers 90 days no payments, $1500 cash back, etc.

Plus one. With the big three Japanese brands buying new trends to make a lot or sense...unless it is a minivan. Sienna's are a solid pre owned value.
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I have an older awd Toyo matrix. It’s been great and suffered well through the abuse of use received in the Sierra. Mine does not burn oil. Not super powerful, but not a cvt. It’s basically an awd corolla. Pretty barebones and focus on utility. Holds 190 skis in the back with seat folded down. It’ll likely be the car that the 14 year old will be allowed to drive. More fun to drive than my older subie legacy wagon because of less body role.
    Those are nice but clean examples can be hard to find used for a fair price. I searched for a while for a Vibe or Matrix. Everyone wants book plus a couple grand and they act insulted when you shoot em an offer.. Glad I didn't one. My stepson hammered a wall with the old my Subaru and it was easy to fix. Subaru's are so modular and simple to work on for shade tree wrenches.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Alltrack is great for 22k with 6 yr 0%
    CRV is good also

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

And here's why you should feel pretty good about walking into a dealer and getting a good deal on a car, CR-V and Rav4 are both on the list:
    'Cars with the Greatest Slowdown in Sales Due to COVID-19'
    https://www.iseecars.com/car-sales-march-2020-study

Also, there's speculation that some of the bigger car rental companies are taking a dive and might go into bankruptcy. That would cause more than a ripple across the used and new car market.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post

I hear you, would be good advice but not getting a loan on this so looking for the sweet spot on depreciation for the intended use. Which is run for 6 yrs or so of multiple kid use.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeRidges View Post
    I hear you, would be good advice but not getting a loan on this so looking for the sweet spot on depreciation for the intended use. Which is run for 6 yrs or so of multiple kid use.

Not getting a loan at 0% interest on a depreciating asset? Just gotta pay cash and have it over and done with, I get that for convenience, I guess.

Still Rav4 though.

Add Mazda CX-5 to the list, CX-3 if you can go smaller. Very good reliability record. Our CX-5 rolled over 100K miles last month, still doesn't burn a drop of oil between changes. Mazda AWD on par with -- IME actually a bit better than -- Subie. IME, CX-5 handles better than all of the above. Honda makes great cars but their AWD is meh, Toyota AWD not much better.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_cement View Post
    I have a 2017 impreza with manual transmission. So far so good. Nothing major has broken. They do seem to burn oil a bit. Have been adding 1/4 quart of oil every month or so to keep the engine topped off. If CPO, you can always buy an extended warranty if you want peace of mind.
    IMO, a 2-3 year old car that burns a 1/4 quart of oil a month is not so far so good. Ymmv.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Wasn't there a service campaign for those oil burners?