Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    IMO, a 2-3 year old car that burns a 1/4 quart of oil a month is not so far so good. Ymmv.
    Maybe you're right. I've always had 10-20 year old clunkers that i had to top off between oil changes, so didn't think too much of it. Seems like a common problem after doing a quick search on the interwebs:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discus...71506_ds922748

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

It sucks but not the end of the world. My 02 Subaru started using oil about when the warranty ran out and when the rings went all the way to shit I had to spend 2k for a remanufactured short block at 175k which I installed myself. At 245k it burns a quart every 3k, which is better than it ever did except when brand new. Flat engines are harder to seal up but when the oil is going by the rings it is a shame. 2012 Prius V started using oil at 120k or so, most likely also going past the rings, so I have been bitten twice by Japanese oil burners. Now using a quart every 3k at almost 180k which seems like a lot when my wife has an 80 mile daily commute. 2003 4Runner uses no oil at 215k. 2018 Alltrack uses no oil at 30k.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    .Those are nice but clean examples can be hard to find used for a fair price. I searched for a while for a Vibe or Matrix. Everyone wants book plus a couple grand and they act insulted when you shoot em an offer.. Glad I didn't one. My stepson hammered a wall with the old my Subaru and it was easy to fix. Subaru's are so modular and simple to work on for shade tree wrenches.

We bought our matrix from a friend for a good price. They also had an sx4 and decided they wanted another sx4. Sx4 is much more fun to drive. It’s at almost 120k miles. I haven’t had to wrench in it much yet. My wrenching is dependent on life schedule/time and availability of my friends garage or flat paved driveway because there is no flat spot on my property to park and work on a car.

We had an ‘01 legacy. I did a partial plug job on it last year. It was simple and I did it in an Amtrak parking lot in auburn, CA between downpours. It sounds like subi reoriented access time their plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    We bought our matrix from a friend for a good price. They also had an sx4 and decided they wanted another sx4. Sx4 is much more fun to drive. It’s at almost 120k miles. I haven’t had to wrench in it much yet. My wrenching is dependent on life schedule/time and availability of my friends garage or flat paved driveway because there is no flat spot on my property to park and work on a car.

We had an ‘01 legacy. I did a partial plug job on it last year. It was simple and I did it in an Amtrak parking lot in auburn, CA between downpours. It sounds like subi reoriented access time their plugs.
    The single overhead cam EJ is way easier to change plugs on than the dohc from the late 90's. Awesome on the Matrix deal. If you can find one for a great price snap it up for sure.

+1 on the RAV4. We have a 2000 (gen 1) auto with 240k+ miles on it, and we'll drive it till it dies. Here's why we love it:

- Full time 4wd, unlike the newer ravs or CR-V (awd). The manual 4wd versions came with locking center diff, some with lsd rear diffs.

- Decent fuel economy (25 mpg)

- Excellent in the snow. Like, you almost can't have fun with it because it behaves so well. I know this has a lot to do with tires (we're running Cooper discoverer AT3 4s) but good weight distribution and being underpowered probably help.

- Big enough to sleep in. We built a folding bed for ours that stows in the cargo area behind the second row.

- Reliable. Has never left us stranded.

- Fun to drive! We lifted ours about 1" over stock with ome suspension components... It floats over FS roads, washboard, woops.

We have 3 friends who also own ravs, as well as my parents and in laws... (gens 1-4) and we love em.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

I have a 14 crosstrek...it is gutless (but I don’t really care). The AWD is great. Like every car there are things I like and things I don’t...I do think the next car I get will be a higher trim level.

Quote Originally Posted by MMMSKI View Post
    I have a 14 crosstrek...it is gutless (but I don’t really care). The AWD is great. Like every car there are things I like and things I don’t...I do think the next car I get will be a higher trim level.
    Surprised they haven't offered an STI version of the Crosstrek yet. Thought for sure they would have one by now and I'd buy one for the wife who thinks her Outback is too big. Apparently they'll have a 2.5L next year though.

Quote Originally Posted by MMMSKI View Post
    Gutless is a good thing for a kid's car. Being able to get an underpowered vehicle around someone in a passing zone requires a lot of skills (planning ahead, usually downshifting, being smooth before the pass to avoid needing to slow down), plus it reduces the penalty for overestimating traction when applying the throttle.

With that said, the correct answer for a kid's car is a manual, 4-cylinder, 2wd Toyota pickup, pre-Tacoma, because if they can learn to drive that in the snow, they should be able to manage traction in anything, plus they'll have real appreciation for features like cruise control, adjustable seats, etc, in a modern car. But feel free to file that under "get off my lawn".

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    With that said, the correct answer for a kid's car is a manual, 4-cylinder, 2wd Toyota pickup, pre-Tacoma, because if they can learn to drive that in the snow, they should be able to manage traction in anything, plus they'll have real appreciation for features like cruise control, adjustable seats, etc, in a modern car. But feel free to file that under "get off my lawn".
    Mostly agree with that. Although not the 2wd part - that's a good way to miss a pow day, because I don't care what tires you have or how good a driver you are, sometimes a 2WD pickup just isn't going to make it up the mountain road.

Older Ford Ranger / Mazda B2300 / B3000 are great options too.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Mostly agree with that. Although not the 2wd part - that's a good way to miss a pow day, because I don't care what tires you have or how good a driver you are, sometimes a 2WD pickup just isn't going to make it up the mountain road.

Older Ford Ranger / Mazda B2300 / B3000 are great options too.
    I had a manual 2wd Mazda B2300 that I drove for about 10 years and then passed on to my friend at 242k. He's still driving it. I got it in to a lot of places with 2wd and chains, but I did get tired of having to chain up just to get in and out of the parking lot at the pass. One time it was dumping at Stevens, blizzard conditions all the way down to index. I wasn't going to chain up for that long of a drive, I figured as long as I kept my speed up I would make it up ok. Well it was a steady decline from 60... With a razor thin margin between maintaining speed and breaking traction. By the time I got to the top I was down to about 15 mph but I got there. In 10 years I replaced a clutch, alternator, clutch master cylinder, o2 sensors... I think that's it. No motor troubles. If it was 4wd I would still be driving it.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Haven't read through the whole thread, but we have a Kia Sportage with 95k-ish miles. Been bulletproof. Would highly recommend. Would also sell ours for trade in value (or less if someone is in need due to circumstances). We bought another Kia.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_cement View Post
    I have a 2017 impreza with manual transmission. So far so good. Nothing major has broken. They do seem to burn oil a bit. Have been adding 1/4 quart of oil every month or so to keep the engine topped off. If CPO, you can always buy an extended warranty if you want peace of mind.

I have been impressed with the latest model year RAV4s, though. Rental car companies have been giving those cars to me on this past season's ski trips. Comfortable, awd, and can hold all my skis in the back. I remember when RAV4s used to be tiny little JDM "cute-utes". Now they've been embiggened to the point where they can swallow a couple of 190+cm ski bags without even really trying.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    Every subbie burns oil mine would go through a quart between oil changes typically. Was told "that's normal" lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    And here's why you should feel pretty good about walking into a dealer and getting a good deal on a car, CR-V and Rav4 are both on the list:
    'Cars with the Greatest Slowdown in Sales Due to COVID-19'
    https://www.iseecars.com/car-sales-march-2020-study

Also, there's speculation that some of the bigger car rental companies are taking a dive and might go into bankruptcy. That would cause more than a ripple across the used and new car market.
    Hertz just did.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Hertz just did.
    Yup. They'll restructure and probably come out of it someday, but imagine how many rental cars they will be selling and not buying in the coming months. Could have large implications on the new and used market.

560,000 used cars about to hit the market.
    https://www.autoweek.com/news/indust...ed-car-market/

Yup. They'll restructure and probably come out of it someday, but imagine how many rental cars they will be selling and not buying in the coming months. Could have large implications on the new and used market.

560,000 used cars about to hit the market.
    https://www.autoweek.com/news/indust...ed-car-market/
    You're probably not talking about every vehicle in the fleet hitting the market under Chapter 11. It's probably substantially less. The brand is worth something. Negotiations with creditors will be ongoing. And selling everything at once will tank the market.

If you want a good deal on a Kia Soul or Sorrento or a Jeep Cherokee or Toyota RAV4, now is a good time to shop. Those models are represented heavily. If you want a Chrysler 200, have at it. I don't think FCA sold those outside rental fleets. And if you want a V6 Mustang convertible with an auto, Christmas is now.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    You're probably not talking about every vehicle in the fleet hitting the market under Chapter 11. It's probably substantially less. The brand is worth something. Negotiations with creditors will be ongoing. And selling everything at once will tank the market.

If you want a good deal on a Kia Soul or Sorrento or a Jeep Cherokee or Toyota RAV4, now is a good time to shop. Those models are represented heavily. If you want a Chrysler 200, have at it. I don't think FCA sold those outside rental fleets. And if you want a V6 Mustang convertible with an auto, Christmas is now.

Yeah, probably not all 560k at once, but it'll be enough to have an effect. Especially if other rental companies start to shit the bed too.

ETA: Go to the Hertz website and they already have some pretty damn good deals on used cars well under KBB and fleet maintained. They'll deliver to you too. Saw a shitton of Rav4's in the low $20's with 20-40k on them.

RAV4, CRV, Subie Impreza/Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Every subbie burns oil mine would go through a quart between oil changes typically. Was told "that's normal" lol
    I bought a brand new Ford with a 5.0 V8. It burned a quart every 1K miles. Ford refused to warranty it saying it was “normal”. I took it back to the dealer at least 10 times in the 3 years I owned it complaining about the oil consumption. Same response, “normal”. Then the trans blew up at 38K. I will never buy another Ford.

Its replacement was a Subaru that was an engineering marvel compared to that Ford. I sold the Subaru at 200K with original head gaskets, but a blown transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Yeah, probably not all 560k at once, but it'll be enough to have an effect. Especially if other rental companies start to shit the bed too.

ETA: Go to the Hertz website and they already have some pretty damn good deals on used cars well under KBB and fleet maintained. They'll deliver to you too. Saw a shitton of Rav4's in the low $20's with 20-40k on them.
    There's a Bentley in Orange County that someone needs to buy. That piece of shit just sat on the books depreciating at 1k per month and causing problems in accounting and fleet analytics because some asshole in management had a boner for it. This was the stupid decision making that sank the company.

Book value on it is probably like $25k right now if it's still there and one of you vultures wants to make an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I bought a brand new Ford with a 5.0 V8. It burned a quart every 1K miles. Ford refused to warranty it saying it was “normal”. I took it back to the dealer at least 10 times in the 3 years I owned it complaining about the oil consumption. Same response, “normal”. Then the trans blew up at 38K. I will never buy another Ford.

Its replacement was a Subaru that was an engineering marvel compared to that Ford. I sold the Subaru at 200K with original head gaskets, but a blown transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I had a similar experience with the exact same engine. Fuck Ford. Never again. Got a Taco now.

I had a similar experience with the exact same engine. Fuck Ford. Never again. Got a Taco now.
    Me too, though I got more miles out of it. Piece of crap.

I would hate the Subaru slightly less if it had this option:

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    There's a Bentley in Orange County that someone needs to buy.
    At $25K it is a steal but out of my price range. Too bad as tooling around gravel Forest Service roads with Bentley with roof racks carrying fly rods in the summer and plowed roads with skis would have been fun. Just as well I probably would have just totalled it hitting an elk or moose.

Exact same question I had last year and here were my findings

Crosstrek - too small
    Outback - underpowered but at least has enough room for all my stuff
    Rav4 - really loud engine noise and even though they claim 200hp, it felt way more sluggish than the Outback

Ended up with an Outback because I felt it was a better deal, slightly better gas mileage, and for how underpowered it is (I used to have a 2006 Outback XT Turbo that I got to 200K miles), it has just enough power to head up the mountain comfortably.

YMMV... of course.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I would hate the Subaru slightly less if it had this option:

Can I get one that plays Big Balls or Highway to Hell ?
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Exact same question I had last year and here were my findings

Crosstrek - too small
    Outback - underpowered but at least has enough room for all my stuff
    Rav4 - really loud engine noise and even though they claim 200hp, it felt way more sluggish than the Outback
    PSI believe next year they're going to offer the 2.5 in high level trims of the Crosstrek
    Ended up with an Outback because I felt it was a better deal, slightly better gas mileage, and for how underpowered it is (I used to have a 2006 Outback XT Turbo that I got to 200K miles), it has just enough power to head up the mountain comfortably.

YMMV... of course.
    IMO you did well considering the options.
    Before getting my OB my wife got her Impreza a month before and I drove it to Montreal.

It felt like a bigger car and how it handled was "impressive" for the money but that 2.0 is IMO isn't enough power. Maybe in a manual it would be much better.
    Enjoy the OB because for the size, ride, safety and price I believe it's a good choice. I really love mine.

PS I believe next year they're offering the 2.5 on the higher trim levels in the Crosstrek
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure