Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Media alarmism and distance from reality

Prime example.

Failed rocket crashes only 13 minutes from New York City and lands 5k miles away

https://www.yahoo.com/news/space-deb...125100556.html

at least it was still in the Northern Hemisphere.

:facepalm

I wrote something about this on here a few days ago, it really seems to have ramped up lately, from all sides, on all topics. The constant screeching is just turning into background noise. At this point it would be much more noticeable if it suddenly stopped.

Looks like it missed LA (or at least San Diego) by even less? Or is it going W->E?

Most Jews are probably pretty happy the Chinese are the boogeymen in all this, considering their history.

They've gotten too liberal with their use of "Breaking News"

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Most Jews are probably pretty happy the Chinese are the boogeymen in all this, considering their history.
    That's an interesting, totally off-topic assumption, Benny. Been noodling on that one for a while and it just sort of fell out here?
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I just read a bio of Hitler, and now I'm reading a history of Ford, the man and company. Both men were contemporaries and, of course, in Hitler's case, rabid anti semites. It was a strong, tolerated position early in the century, and they were blamed for most financial and political ills. It's something I'm learning more and more about in detail. But, even going back to the Black Death in the fourteenth century, Jews were blamed for that, too, in many places, so much so that they were burned. I'm convinced that, if it wasn't for the fact that China has evolved to #2, the Jews would be blamed for this too, somehow. Btw, the black plague originated in China way back then.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    That's an interesting, totally off-topic assumption, Benny. Been noodling on that one for a while and it just sort of fell out here?
    No he's thrown that one out a couple times now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post

Seems completely relevant in this thread to me, arguably on multiple levels.

The only ones distanced from reality are the Red-Hatters

Btw, the black plague originated in China way back then.
    WHAAAAAA...!!! Don't write "black plague", that's racist! How about melanin-enhanced plague instead?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I just read a bio of Hitler, and now I'm reading a history of Ford, the man and company. Both men were contemporaries and, of course, in Hitler's case, rabid anti semites. It was a strong, tolerated position early in the century, and they were blamed for most financial and political ills. It's something I'm learning more and more about in detail. But, even going back to the Black Death in the fourteenth century, Jews were blamed for that, too, in many places, so much so that they were burned. I'm convinced that, if it wasn't for the fact that China has evolved to #2, the Jews would be blamed for this too, somehow. Btw, the black plague originated in China way back then.
    Wait what?

You read about both Hitler and Ford. And you concluded Hitler was antisemite, but say nothing of Ford?

Did you actually read?

Holee fuk
    Wee too low
    Ding bang ow.
    Wtf
    . . .

I said both were.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Wait what?

You read about both Hitler and Ford. And you concluded Hitler was antisemite, but say nothing of Ford?

Did you actually read?

Holee fuk
    Wee too low
    Ding bang ow.
    Wtf
    you're complaining about HIS reading? wtf

Both men were contemporaries and, of course, in Hitler's case, rabid anti semites.
    Gotta defend Core Shot here. The "in Hitler's case" parenthetical makes Benny's sentence ambiguous.

Can we put ellipses on the arms of people who routinely commit bad grammar and syntax?
    A modest proposal...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    Gotta defend Core Shot here. The "in Hitler's case" parenthetical makes Benny's sentence ambiguous.
    It was poorly worded, but plural use of anti semites makes it clearer. The "of course" refers to the fact that we all know Hitler was an anti Semite, probably shouldn't have used a comma there (ie it should have read "of course in Hitler's case"). Still would have been clunky writing but would have been more obvious.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Seven, post number seven. Who had post number seven in today's TRG Godwin's Law pool?

Remember, if you also had Benny, that's a Daily Doubler!
    I still call it The Jake.

I did a little bit of work on satellite tracking. Satellites move very fast. 13 minutes to travel 5000 miles downrange sounds reasonable. A low earth orbit satellite can go around the earth once in 60-80 minutes.

Jonathan McDowell, the astronomer quoted in the article, knows as much as any civilian about satellites. If he says the re-entering debris was 13 minutes from the New York area, meaning if it had re-entered 13 minutes earlier it would have come down in the NY area, then you can rely on it. The reporter accurately quoted a reliable authority.

Of course, what that means is that 13 minutes is a long time for a satellite, so it wasn't "close," except that taking chances with re-entering debris hitting a major metro area is like dancing with hangfire - how big a chance is a good idea? The relevant quote from the article:

"For the Chinese to let this rocket come down due to natural orbital decay is seen as irresponsible by most people in the space industry", said McDowell.

(What he implies is that they should have been prepared to do some kind of thruster burn so they could control where it re-entered and aim it into a nice blank ocean.)

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    It was poorly worded, but plural use of anti semites makes it clearer. The "of course" refers to the fact that we all know Hitler was an anti Semite, probably shouldn't have used a comma there (ie it should have read "of course in Hitler's case"). Still would have been clunky writing but would have been more obvious.
    Yeah, I suck at sentence structure sometime.

Yeah, I suck at sentence structure sometime.
    Yeah, and I excell at yelling at the internet after three cocktails.

Putting Hitler and Ford in the same sentence is an obvious statement. If you have read about ford, which it seems you have.

But a good grammar fight is a hilarious distraction.

If only you had thrown an Oxford comma in there.

. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    Prime example.

Failed rocket crashes only 13 minutes from New York City and lands 5k miles away

https://www.yahoo.com/news/space-deb...125100556.html

at least it was still in the Northern Hemisphere.

:facepalm
    Actually, it missed NYC "by fifteen minutes"
    How's that, dipshit?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Ferrous, positively ferrous.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I'm alarmed by all this alarmism.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

It wakes me up at night.