Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    I've seen three old people die happy. Much older than I. Cain is three years older than me. It sucked for him. Take my word.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Yep. My dad is 75 and not ready to die. He is involved in the city parks commission and ski club and about 10 other things. His parents were active and cogent into their early 90's before fading mentally.

I feel bad for Herman and his family. It sucks when fantasy catches up to reality. This was a big body blow for them. Vibes and I hope it saves some lives in the big picture. In that sense his death is likely not a complete waste even if it isn't the message he wanted to send.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

An Arizona superintendent on safely reopening schools: 'It's a fantasy' - The Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...superintendent

My kid’s school is hybrid. 2 days a week in school and 3 from home.

Here we go.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Covid and your kids

16 school district in the western part of my county. One of the districts, incorporating a single elementary school and a junior high school, decide to do a hybrid model, and all other districts decided to do distance learning.

A friend of our’s is a first grade teacher in our district, which is going 100% virtual until 1/1/21 but realistically all year. I hadn’t really thought of it but she was talking about how it’s going to be damn near impossible to teach 20 1st graders to read via a virtual environment but especially when they essentially only had 2/3 of a kindergarten year. Don’t envy her position.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah. Zoom barely works at my house. Many county residents either do not have internet at home (including cellular connection) or is a satellite internet service.

Covid and your kids

“Confident it had beaten the coronavirus and desperate to reboot a devastated economy, the Israeli government invited the entire student body back in late May.

Within days, infections were reported at a Jerusalem high school, which quickly mushroomed into the largest outbreak in a single school in Israel, possibly the world.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/04/w...ls-reopen.html

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Doubt it. He was way more religious than I am.
    He lived a long life.
    We all die.

Do we all die a little bit each day on our knees?
    Or do a small tenths percent die while we all stand on our feet?
    Bullshit. What religion are you a part of? Selfish Prickdom? You sounds like so many other assholes who claim they have religion and they completely lack any sort of faith other than in themselves. Just shut up about your “religion” please. Have some honesty in your posts and to yourself.

Fuck dude. Look at your post in the Tahoe thread. Should we bring up your obvious racism?

If camp is this fun, school is gonna be funner...

The disease was first detected July 18 when a staff member tested positive for the novel coronavirus, and the camp shut down for the season July 21. The outbreak has grown to a total of 11 campers and 14 staff members -- all age 20 or younger, according to Multnomah County health officials.

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavir...-outbreak.html

#hoax
    #kidsdontgetit

^^^Underachievers
    260 Campers get Covid at Georgia YMCA camp
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/...rgia-ymca-camp

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    posted this upthread

The fact that they have seemed clueless and tone deaf does not inspire confidence that they can do anything safely.
    Glad I'm not the only one who thought the Boulder Valley soccer emails have been a bit of a joke. I'm not seeing much in the way of covid protocols other than coaches wearing masks and asking people to "do their best" to limit spectators to one per family? Oh, and no high fives so we should be good. I've been surprised at the number of parents on my kid's team who are signing up and willing to play, seems like a majority are in.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    ^^^Underachievers
    260 Campers get Covid at Georgia YMCA camp
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/...rgia-ymca-camp
    My kids are in day camp this summer (they don't go inside, ever, they have to social distance and wear masks, and there are daily and in-depth weekly health and contact checks) but the idea of overnight camp during this is bonkers.

We have till the end of the day to decide if we are going all in with our 5th grader (20 people per class podded and masked with outside entrance to classroom 5 days a week in an orange zone) or all online with a different teacher from a different school and mostly different classmates.

This is because Covid Kim Reynolds our Trumpist bootlicking ignorant governor is trying to claim she will withhold funding if schools don't reopen with at least 50% of seats filled in person each day. Other districts are ignoring her, ours seems to begrudgingly be following her lead.

The decision seems easy but almost all of her classmates (friends) seem to be choosing to send their kids back even though they know it is wrong and feel school will be closed by Oct 1 anyway. Our daughter is clearly devastated by the idea she would be left out of her class and miss her last year at her k-5.

We could probably do online for a while, see how it goes, and enroll her for in person later if things somehow don't blown up. My big worry is they do blow up and she is stuck with another teacher from another school while her neighborhood classmates stay podded.

Being forced to choose from bad choices.

Fuck this state. Living in a Trump state can be deadly at worst and at best it will fill you with insatiable anxiety.

Edit to add Trump state but I live in a city which like most is an island of sanity in an ocean of stupid.

we had already opted for all online, but our district was planning on a 2 day on/3 days off model for in school students. This week they finally realized that was silly, I think part of the problem was simply that they didn't have enough teachers willing to work in person. So they are going all online for at least the first month.

The decision doesn't directly effect me, but I do think it will be better for my kiddo as all kids will be online. I don't know yet if they will try to "segregate" the online students, keeping the "always online" kids separate from the "wanted to be in-school" kids. I hope not. But they have made clear that online teaching will be much more robust than last spring, so that's good.

Vibes to uglymoney and all other parents trying to navigate this bullcrap. There are no good solutions and answers, but it is made doubly hard when the decision makers don't really have the best interests of the kids at heart and instead try to inject politics into it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Our county has now said that any kid that is sick must stay out of school for 10 days even with a negative Covid test (so this means any common cold). It also applies to teachers and staff. We'll be lucky if our childcare exists at all after the winter.

I feel for all of you with school age children. Such a no win situation.

I've been listening to our closed school admin meeting (in the background) for over 2 hrs now (because all teachers are also involved) and they are doing their best, but no fn way is this going to work. So many specific minute details, and the many nuances, between schools, grade levels, class subjects, specials, and IEP's. Let alone the lack of substitute teachers and nurses pre-covid. Sad situation.

No worries, kid are practically completely immune to the China flu. I heard it from a reliable source, who just happens to be orange.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Our school in Denver is still saying the plan is to reopen in person but could pivot to hybrid or remote quickly. I feel like it’s a real roll of the dice and it makes me super nervous.

Any idea of the efficacy of an air ionization (purification) system installed in a school?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Our school in Denver is still saying the plan is to reopen in person but could pivot to hybrid or remote quickly. I feel like it’s a real roll of the dice and it makes me super nervous.
    You must be in the Cherry Creek district, as that's the only one I can think of in the entire metro area that's sending kids back?

My wife teaches 2nd grade in the Adams 12 district (although she's at a charter school, so they're a little different). They have online-only for the first month, she has to go into the school to teach from her classroom. She said the BOD at her school is pushing hard to go back in person at the end of September, they apparently don't believe in science. And like BoCo schools, I think they're going to have a real tough time getting enough teachers to be there in person.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    You must be in the Cherry Creek district, as that's the only one I can think of in the entire metro area that's sending kids back?

My wife teaches 2nd grade in the Adams 12 district (although she's at a charter school, so they're a little different). They have online-only for the first month, she has to go into the school to teach from her classroom. She said the BOD at her school is pushing hard to go back in person at the end of September, they apparently don't believe in science. And like BoCo schools, I think they're going to have a real tough time getting enough teachers to be there in person.
    Interesting. BOD possibly collected some PPP payments? and they're federally funded, so maybe it's just all about money? Does your wife think they have a decent plan for going back in person?

My wife's school literally has no plan. Nothing. Boggles the mind. They have no criteria for anything. Every answer in the meeting was met with a "we don't know". Just the basics...temperature taking? Outward signs of being sick? Who is teaching what...meaning, lower levels usually switch off mid-day between two teachers based on subject matter. The one known is kids will remain in one classroom with one teacher all day, so the teachers are looking for direction to prepare, but it's unknown. The problem is nobody even knows how many kids will show up...or teachers for that matter. I don't think anyone has a bulletproof plan, but they need to start somewhere and constantly assess and adjust a plan no matter how shitty it is initially. It seems like it's just overwhelming to the administration at this point so they're at the do-nothing stage.

COVID sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Does your wife think they have a decent plan for going back in person?
    She hasn't heard anything about an in-person plan yet.... hell, it sounds like she's barely heard anything about the plan they have for the kids two weeks from now. I do know that their BOD wanted to buy tents for the teachers so they could teach outdoors, in order to get the kids back to school in person. Yes, they were serious. And no, I'm not kidding.

Covid and your kids

As of today..we are full time in person to the kids who return to school.....and we are live-streaming to the kids who choose to stay at home.....I guess I better get used to being “on camera”.

Assuming the parents/kids at home have to pick up the “work” for the week so they can do the same work as the other kids in school are....who knows?

*Right now we have about 25% of the kids at my school choosing to stay at home and do the live streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post

We’re at a private in Denver. The plan is still to go back in two weeks, full, in-person. 18 masked kids per classroom, 2 teachers. They say their safety protocols exceed the CDC recommendations and there’s rumors of possible testing - someone at the school is in with a company producing 15 min swab tests that are coming out soon and are approved...we’ll see. Don’t feel great about this.