Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Occasionally?
    Regularly.

I was setting the bar low because of what so many parents have been facing this crisis.

Ha, just kidding. I'm sure I'll get to 'occasionally' for me as they get older. I'm just being bombarded by a 3 + 6 year old with non-stop talking over this weekend as Mom is in bed with a broken rib. Don't they know their dad is sometime called 'muted' for a reason?

Our school board sent a list of potential options, all f2f, all stupid and based on ancient information. Petition for virtual was started same-day and got long quick, most teachers in our kids schools signed. They've also been pushing back. School board is now more strongly considering virtual and are holding several town halls, all virtual. First of all, fuck a town hall. I don't GAF what a bunch of parents think we should do. Anything besides virtual is a failure, and the time their wasting trying so hard to go back to "normal" is time that could be spent spinning up a decent virtual learning environment. I do know that my kids won't be attending in-person regardless of what the county decides. There is no second of all, other than fuck this shit.

I suggested a gap year to the wife. Any school this coming year is going to be full of compromises and will lack in some ways. We can work from anywhere, so why not do some traveling and let the kids see some cool stuff? Do some continuing education to keep them from losing what they've learned, but otherwise, just take a mulligan and pick up next year (hopefully). Sadly, she's not on board.

I have to say that mostly things are positive. Not going out to eat and not seeing friends sucks, but the family time has been really good. Only having her younger brother to hang with has de-aged my daughter a couple of years. She's gone back to being more kid than butthole teen and I've really been enjoying it.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post

I suggested a gap year to the wife. Any school this coming year is going to be full of compromises and will lack in some ways. We can work from anywhere, so why not do some traveling and let the kids see some cool stuff? Do some continuing education to keep them from losing what they've learned, but otherwise, just take a mulligan and pick up next year (hopefully). Sadly, she's not on board.
    That is a great idea. I might be able to convince the wife to do that for a 1-3 months. Our kids are young enough to pull this off easier now than later.

While I'm dreaming, maybe New Zealand? Quarantine for 14 days and then be in heaven for a bit.

If y'all have the money and freedom to take a "gap year" as a family, why did it take COVID to make you consider it?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    All I'm saying is that when six different experts in the field are all saying unequivocally that they'd send their kids to school, well, I'm inclined to send my kid to school if it's open. If it's not open, well, he (and we) will have to suck it up and deal with it.

As far as consciously creating outbreaks--the preponderance of evidence currently seems to be that kids have difficulty contracting the virus in the first place and are not very effective spreaders when they do get infected (especially when they're asymptomatic). My kid has been walking to school alone with a neighbor friend since they were seven. We decided that the benefits of doing so outweighed the possibility that they might get abducted and murdered. In-person school and COVID is going to require a similar calculated risk and I'll happily abide by whatever decision his school chooses to make.
    Depends on the ages of the 'kids'.

One of our biggest outbreaks has been high schoolers... 26 ish was last I heard amongst the group.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    If y'all have the money and freedom to take a "gap year" as a family, why did it take COVID to make you consider it?
    because school was safe & productive prior?

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    because school was safe & productive prior?
    it was a rhetorical question.

but my point was jokingly that a gap year sounds fantastic with or without covid, in fact it sounds better without. If I could afford to take one, I would!
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    it was a rhetorical question.

but my point was jokingly that a gap year sounds fantastic with or without covid, in fact it sounds better without. If I could afford to take one, I would!
    I was referring to a kid gap year. Definitely can't afford a parental gap year. Just thought it would be fun to work from the camper while the kids enjoy whatever is around. It's not realistic, but shit man, it doesn't hurt to dream a little.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    It's not realistic, but shit man, it doesn't hurt to dream a little.
    Amen to that.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I saw the movie and it didnt end well.

Bonk
    Bonk

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    final slide....all the kids had a friggin great time...

Attachment 335130
    That’s awesome. Slide for life
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Bonk
    Bonk

That’s awesome. Slide for life
    3 ft deep pool at bottom created with hay bales and 16mil tarp 30x50

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Our 5 year olds school has now gone totally virtual so little man will be home this fall. Not sure how they expect these kids to do virtual for their first school experience with a bunch of strangers on a screen, I'm looking at it more that he gets an extra year to play and we will start kindergarten next year. As for my two high schoolers right now the schools plan is they will attend two days a week with half the amount of students and do virtual the rest of the week. They have been holding all fall sports practices like nothing is wrong. If it were up to me I would have shut this shit down by now.

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    Our 5 year olds school has now gone totally virtual so little man will be home this fall. Not sure how they expect these kids to do virtual for their first school experience with a bunch of strangers on a screen, I'm looking at it more that he gets an extra year to play and we will start kindergarten next year. As for my two high schoolers right now the schools plan is they will attend two days a week with half the amount of students and do virtual the rest of the week. They have been holding all fall sports practices like nothing is wrong. If it were up to me I would have shut this shit down by now.
    This seems so backwards to me. High-schoolers are at greater risk than primary school kids and more able to function independently. My kid was in kindergarten when the shut downs happened and the amount of direct parental involvement required to do "remote learning" for a 5-6 year old makes it basically useless unless you have someone at home who isn't also working or has extremely flexible work during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by bizarrefaith View Post
    This seems so backwards to me. High-schoolers are at greater risk than primary school kids and more able to function independently. My kid was in kindergarten when the shut downs happened and the amount of direct parental involvement required to do "remote learning" for a 5-6 year old makes it basically useless unless you have someone at home who isn't also working or has extremely flexible work during the day.
    Anyone under 20 is not at risk

Grade 3 and under is tough to contain

4 and older can be contained, but should they be?
    It’s ficked. My kids are looking at same room all day long, wearing a mask.

Online is just fine. Fuck the oppression And the fear masks
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Anyone under 20 is not at risk

Grade 3 and under is tough to contain

4 and older can be contained, but should they be?
    It’s ficked. My kids are looking at same room all day long, wearing a mask.

Online is just fine. Fuck the oppression And the fear masks
    Under 20s can absolutely get this, that's a false statement. Stop whining.

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    Most of the districts that are pushing ahead for some level of in-classroom time are focusing their priority on the youngest of kids. It's easier, and less damaging for middle and high schooler's to have more virtual time than students attending an earlier grade. A lot of growth and development for this latter group rely on being in the classroom, and there is evidence to suggest that losing out on even some of this time can be damaging to their long-term development.

The cutoff seems to be 3rd or 4th grade for most districts, with higher grades having more and more virtual classroom time.

It's still a lose-lose situation for most districts, and a lot of plans are going to be ditched after the first month of school in favor of virtual learning.

School options announced. We have 4 options, essentially:

1. Return to in-person school (2x/wk), home learning the other 3 days (2 days with instruction, 1 day on your own)

2. Home learning full time through your school, with option to return to in-person (was not well-defined: "This option provides flexibility as students could return to the classroom at a later time if families became more comfortable." Does that mean you can return at any time?)

3. Home learning full-time through the school district's remote school (which they always had but obviously has ramped up bigtime!). Full semester commitment but you keep your spot at your local school.

4. Homeschooling completely on your own.

I hate all the options, lol, because this all sucks.

And they want our answers by Friday (even though they say we can change our answers).

I think we're probably going with #2.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    A lot of growth and development for this latter group rely on being in the classroom, and there is evidence to suggest that losing out on even some of this time can be damaging to their long-term development.
    Meh, maybe in a controlled laboratory setting.

Edit: maybe you were talking about teenagers and this site is messing up for me to chek

The fact that all the school districts were just thrown a generic ball and told to figure out a game plan is fucking maddening. Then they were threatened with getting their fed funding pulled if they don't open up.

They wealthy districts can create a much safer (relatively) environment than the poorer districts. The newer schools have decent to good ventilation. The older schools have asbestos!

The feds have had months to come up with some guidelines and tiered plans based on a host of factors. Not that any of them would be perfect, but right now you have thousands of schools scrambling to come up with some sort of plan.

This has fail written all over it.

Covid and your kids

One huge in-person problem is the likely start/stop/start/stop/start that could occur.

So what happens if ‘lil Timmy comes to the school nurse on week 2 saying he has a scratchy throat (and, in fact, is really allergies). The nurse will have to treat it like CV and isolate him, call the parents, and ‘lil Timmy, his family, all his classmates & families and the teachers who’ve had contact with him have to quarantine for 14 days and have to get tested. First of all: tests are averaging a 10 day turnaround right now (basically useless). Second of all: some teachers teach multiple classes (like the Spanish teacher). Now who the hell teaches Spanish for 14+ days? And if one kid is thought to maybe have CV symptoms, do all the classes that exposed teacher teaches have to quarantine?

And what happens to the nurse? Does she have to quarantine after being around ‘lil Timmy? Then who does nurse duties at the school if it’s still open?

And how often (every day) do nurses handle kids with CV like symptoms that aren’t anything and go away in an hour? Endless problems and I doubt a nurse is going to take a chance and send a kid back into the classroom if he or she complains of feeling a little off. Such a clusterfuck.

It would depend on how the schools define “exposure”.

If it’s the same as healthcare the kids would have to be unmasked and in close contact for a certain time frame to be considered exposed.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Our HS district, if they chose the “hybrid” model, if a child is found to be covid+, a minimum of 215 people would be asked to quarantine and get tested over several times during the quarantine time. That would be students, teachers, and staff with the minimal direct exposure. Then contact tracing would likely result in more students and school staff getting quarantined.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Our HS district, if they chose the “hybrid” model, if a child is found to be covid+, a minimum of 215 people would be asked to quarantine and get tested over several times during the quarantine time. That would be students, teachers, and staff with the minimal direct exposure. Then contact tracing would likely result in more students and school staff getting quarantined.
    In the above example, a kid reports a scratchy throat but has yet to be tested or still waiting on test results, would your district’s model require quarantine? Or only on Covid positive cases?

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    In the above example, a kid reports a scratchy throat but has yet to be tested or still waiting on test results, would your district’s model require quarantine? Or only on Covid positive cases?

I just looked at the written BOT agenda item which doesn’t have the details presented to the board or public via ppt on the zoom call. But I believe the person needs to be positive based on a lab test for the larger quarantine to go into effect. It can also be a family member in the home that is covid+. That group is the minimal “cohort” size for the avg high school kid under the hybrid model. This runs under the assumption that testing availability and testing turnaround improves. If a kid or staff present symptoms while on campus, they go into isolation until they can have a ride home from family. It’s unclear how the county public health and school will follow up with those specific incidents.